First Rifle Wishes

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by cmj685, Apr 14, 2014.

1. cmj685

cmj685 New Member

Guys,
    Trying to make my way for the first time from the handgun world to the rifle world. I would like to do some hunting at some point, and in my part of the world that means most often deer and elk (though I did have a mountain lion in my back yard one morning this winter staring in at me through the patio doors!). I have selected a 30-06 for its all-around performance. I would love to get a nice laminated wood stock since I love the look of wood but know that straight wood stocks aren't always the most practical. Would also love a fluted barrel, but I am an old guy so I don't need alot of extra pounds. Anyone out there have some recommendations for a newby? Thanks!

2. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

How much do you want to spend on this rifle?

3. cmj685

cmj685 New Member

Thanks for the question--guess that is important too. I am lucky to be at the stage in life where price is not a big consideration. Anything up to about $1500 wouldn't have to be taken up with the wife. Anything up to $2000 would be acceptable without much debate.

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

absolutely nothing wrong with a laminated stock. any kind of price range you are after? For starters, Id go to a local Big box gun store that has a large selection and hold an american type rifle stock up and then a monte carlo type stock up to your cheek and see which one feels better to u. I prefer the monte carlo feel better. Then when you know which type fit best for you, then a price range would be nice. Most rifles in the 400 600 and up dollar range are all fine brands, its just your preference on what you like that counts.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Good luck in your search. My advice?

- Go to many gun stores and maybe gun shows
    - Hold many rifles and see which fits you the best, which is most comfortable, etc.
    - Buy the favorite

30-06 is a heckuva caliber. Nothing wrong with it of course. I recommend getting a recoil pad of some sort to throw on the buttstock.

6. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

I love the .30-06. Laminated wood holds up well, but it can be heavy for carrying. Good luck. My favorite is a Sako. Tikka rifles are nice also.

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

with the 30-06 as your caliber of choice, and one i highly recommend as well, there will be no shortage of new or used rifles chambered in that cartridge.

with the budget you listed, is that for the rifle alone or both rifle and scope? either way, it's still a decent budget that will give you lots of options.

as suggested, hit the gun stores and try out as many as possible. also within your budget, check out used rifles as well. you never know, that you might find a very lightly used gem of a rifle for a decent price.

whatever rifle you find, pair it up with a quality scope. a good scope of about 3-9 or up to about 4-12 power should do nicely.

if you don't reload, that is one of the great things about the 30-06 is the selection of factory ammo available for it.

8. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

For colorado mountainous hunting (if thats where you plan on elk hunting, I personally wouldn't get anything larger than a 3 by 9. The lower the power the better for thick forests, and brush, and can still get a good look across canyons, etc.

9. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I would assume you are looking more at bolt action rifles, but there are several options in self loaders and pump and lever guns in 30-06 as well. Topped with a Leupold or a Hikon scope, you would have an excellent all around rifle. I prefer 7mm Remington magnum in my custom Mauser, but I have .300 magnums and others,,, for a single rifle in your stable, the 30-06 is very hard to beat for it's versatility and availability of ammo selections.

10. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

High power scopes are not so easy to use without support. If you go to academy they have scopes mounted on blue plastic rifles. Take a 3x scope and swing it like you would if you were shooting at running game. Try the same with a 12x scope. With the 12x scope all you will see is a black spot and blur.

I like weatherby rifles for bolt action and semi auto browning rifles. The new model 70 looks very attractive but I have yet to shoot a new model 70. My Model 70 was made in the mid 70's. It shoots very well. In fact, it is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot. I put it on a lead sled it put 3 holes in an area about the size of a club on a playing card.

Going back to weatherby. Weatherby guarantees their rifles to shoot a 1" or less group with factory ammo. With your budget I would consider a Mark V. The Mark V has a steel reinforced walnut stock.

The range certified Mark V does have a hand laminated stock. It also has a $4K price tag to go with it. Weatherby does offer a range certified Vangaurd, but it has a synthetic stock. The Vangaurd is a howa 1500 with a nice stock and a 1" guarantee. I would rather buy a Howa 1500 for half price without the warranty and a Hogue over molded stock.

Savage offers some very nice rifles equipped with a nikon scope. I like the way that savages shoot but the stocks are to small for me. I would have to buy a stock on day one to enjoy a savage. If you are not 6'4" with a heavy frame the savage stock might not be an issue for you.

www.budsgunshop.com is good site to get an idea of what a rifle costs. On a $1000 rifle you might find it for $50 less at another shop.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  11. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Just my opinion but as far as shootability , after a certain point, the more you spend, the less you get for your money. For a hunting rifle that you are going to be beating through the woods with, frills are not necessarily related to accuracy or dependability which is the most important asset. If you want a showy high end gun to take to the range, spend your limit. You can get a more than adequate rifle for $400- $600 and a scope for $200- $400. You really can't go wrong in this price range for a decent hunting rifle, then spend the rest of your budget on ammo to get proficient with it. I was at the range sighting in my lowly 760 gamemaster next to a guy that spent $3000 on his fancy Browning, bragging it up he could hardly hit the target and I was shooting 1 inch groups. It could have been his ability but the gun is only as good as the shooter no matter how pretty it is. Dings and scratches are almost inevitable when hunting and transporting. Buy for ease of handling, comfort and fit. The rest is moot. The game is oblivious to what you spend on the rifle. Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate the beauty of higher end guns but on my budget, practicality are the main concern. Get something that works for you until you have experienced the whole hunting process, then decide what your ultimate firearm of choice will be. I am a huge 30.06 fan and believe it is worthy of any game in North America with proper ammo.

12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

One Word, Savage !..................

13. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I would look at the Winchester model 70 and pick whatever style you like. Personally I would go with the classic in wood but that is just me. Almost all of the current production rifles will fall within your budget so it's just a matter of picking what you like. :)

14. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

15. jpattersonnh

You need to say that with a lisp!!! ;)

Savage makes a VG rifle.

16. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Excellent choice for caliber. As far as a rifle for your budget there are many. Savage is popular around here and I still like the 700 Remington. I will second the Winchester model 70 because I own one and it has been very good.

17. jpattersonnh

Ready, here comes the fly in the ointment. The .30-06 is part of an arms race that began in 1896. Sadly the U.S. lagged behind. As a hunting cartridge commercial ammo just does not live up to the potential of the cartridge. Are commercial cartridges adequate? Yes for most applications. Are there better all around cartridges for hunting? Yes. Target shooting? Yes. Can I find them on shelves of Gun shops?? Yes. One of the simple questions not asked, is if the OP was recoil sensitive. Since he is making a transition from Pistol to Rifle I would have to assume his experience w/ any rifle caliber is limited. .30-06 in certain platforms may not be a wise choice. There are others that may work out better and still have plenty of available ammo.

18. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I was thinking that but he seemed pretty certain about the '06. :)

19. Control

Control New Member

CMJ,

I too am an "old guy" who has collected rifles and hunted with them for over 60 years.

A few of my rifles even have octagon barrels.

Go to gun shops near you and handle the new and used rifles and see what you prefer. These days the soft Decelerator type recoil pads really help with the kick.

Some rifles that I prefer are the Winchester M70 CRF's, Ruger M77 and Kimber 84M and 8400's.

Here are a few of my hunting rifles at the range:

[​IMG]

From the top; Steyr 8X57, Steyr 30-06, Savage99 .358, Steyr 358.

I may have more M70's than any model.

20. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Love the 99......:)