First revolver

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Firearms4ever, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I recently went to the range and tried one of their rental revolvers, and now I gotta have one :eek:. I'm looking for mainly a range gun, and I would like the barrel to be preferably 4 inches and a blued firearm. What do y'all recommend?

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Find a vintage S&W.

[​IMG]

I got this model 19 on gunbroker.com for <$400 a year ago, I couldn't be happier!

Cane's M19-3/357 Mag

3. Olympus

Olympus New Member

4" S&W Model 66 or Model 19 would be my recommendation. Preferably one made without the internal lock.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If you can find the S&W mdl 15, you won't ever get rid of it.

5. freefall

freefall New Member

I heart my Ruger Security Six. All three of them.:eek:

6. mes227

mes227 New Member

There are so many excellent guns out there that you may want to narrow your options a bit. Do you have a price range in mind? Any preference on caliber or make? A couple things to look for in a range gun: adjustable sights, good grips, a gun that fits your hand well and has good balance. That is, one that's comfortable to shoot so you'll shoot it frequently! If money is an object then pay attention to ammo costs (unless you plan to hand load, then it's less of an issue). If you shoot frequently your ammo costs will quickly exceed that of your revolver! Also think about recoil. I like big bores but there's no question that a lighter weight round is easier to handle and that means you'll shot more. Which leads to my last recommendation: there's a lot of advantage in having a dual-caliber revolver, such as .357Mag/38spcl, .44Mag/.44Spc, 10mm/.40S&W, .45Colt/.45acp (if you buy a .45Colt you can later have it cut to also allow .45acp with moonclips), .454Casull/.45Colt (a great combo!), even .41Mag/.41spcl (a bit hard to find ammo for the .41spcl, but it exists and I'm a big fan).

7. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

Those S&W .357's are a great choice,but if you don't wan't a .357/.38 but rather just a .38,the S&W model 10 is one of the greatest handguns ever created by mankind.

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

My price range is up to $600. Caliber wise, I was thinking about a .357 magnum or maybe a .45 Colt. I'm having the most difficult time deciding whether I want a Double Action revolver or a Single Action revolver :eek:.

9. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I am not familiar with very many guns but I have a GP100 that can fire .357's or .38 or .38 +P. Mine is a 6" barrel but you can get shorter barrelled ones. It's a good, basic, sturdy revolver. Though you can get 'prettier' ones.

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

fot that price range you can get a Ruger GP100 new or a Ruger single action new,but in my opinion,the Ruger single actions are just about as good as they come,as where the GP100 isn't no.1,its a good gun,but the single action is better.

11. Olympus

Olympus New Member

If you are considering a .45 Colt, you need o be a reloader. .45 Colt is pretty expensive to buy in stores.

12. Sealevel

Sealevel New Member

As a relative newcomer to the sport of revolver shooting I have little experience to offer, but mine is real current. A couple of weeks ago I was in the same boat as you. I was asking your same question and I had some friends suggest the same thing to me as Canebrake, Olymbus and Danf_fl suggested to you. Today I fired my S&W model 15 for the first time at the local range. It was a very pleasant experience.

Shooting that .38 special both single action followed by double action I surprised myself with the acceptable results. First time in 18 years that I have pulled a trigger on any handgun.

The S&W model 15, to me, is as fine looking as it shoots. Mine is in excellent condition and it cost just under $400. Good luck in your search.

13. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I'm thinking about going with Canebrake's first suggestion, the Smith and Wesson Model 19 or maybe going with a Ruger GP100. What to y'all think about either one?

Also I decided I'll go ahead with the .357 magnum so I can not only afford to shoot it, but get more versatility.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

The S&W is just better than the Ruger and it's not much more money.I'm not biast,I have owned some good Ruger's too,but in double action revolvers,S&W is the best.

15. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

smith&wesson model 19 all the way as it is in your price range

16. thundermonty

thundermonty New Member

i think any vintage S&W will do the trick and you'll love it! i know ruger makes some fancy.22 range guns, but for the money i'd pick up a higher caliber. i think you'll love a .357 that also takes .38's

17. orangello

orangello New Member

I've been VERY happy with my GP100; i recommend you try one out. Mine is my favorite range toy. Mine has the six inch barrel which seems to minimize recoil.

18. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I've been doing some research on the various K/L frame revolvers and prowling around local gunshops a good bit. I'm leaning towards either the Smith and Wesson Model 19, Model 66 Model 586, or Model 686. From my research I found the Smith and Wesson revolvers either have the square butt or the round butt. I noticed that the revolvers with the round butt tend to have the hogue grips, but not usually the square butt. Can a hogue grip be put on a square butt revolver?

19. utf59

utf59 New Member

Yes. I put one on my 586.

BTW, if you haven't seen these yet, there's a 686+ that holds 7 rounds. And if you like capacity, the 627 (also a .357) holds 8.

20. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Thank you for the information! I had thought that if it had a square butt I couldn't put something like Hogue grips on it to make it more comfortable. I'm not interested in revolvers that aren't six shooters atleast not right now, because I just want a good six shooter.

I'm narrowing it down currently, and I'm trying to decide if I want the blued finish or the stainless steel finish. Decisions decisions :eek:.