First revolver for wfe

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by fakwak, Mar 10, 2012.

1. fakwak

fakwak New Member

I'm getting a revolver for wife, she has difficulty using the slide on my XD 45. I am told to get a 357 mag. 4". Any more suggestions.

2. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

3. Texanbybirth

Texanbybirth New Member

Get what your wife wants. The firearms industry has a biased opinion. For home only use, a 4 " barrel .357 will shoot .38 with less recoil and you always have the option to use .357. Just make sure she practices with whatever you guys decide on.

I'll qualify my opinion with telling you that I don't own a revolver.(yet) I like the looks of the Ruger GP100 for home defense. It has a good reputation for being dependable, it holds 6 rounds, there are good aftermarket options like Hogue grips, and it looks like it has good sights. I can't tell you which pistol has the best trigger, but others will chime in.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  4. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah, .38 snubbie for carry is hard to beat. If for home defense maybe even a 5 or 6 inch 357, the longer barrel will help tame recoil. Ruger or smiths are my favorites for revolvers, or a colt but more $

5. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I have a 6" stainless Ruger GP100 in 357, I love it, I agree with everything Texan said, except now the GP100 comes from the factory with the Hogue grips, its pretty big for a carry gun though

6. vincent

vincent New Member

Ruger LCR in .357,can shoot .38's as well...:cool:

7. fakwak

fakwak New Member

I don't have to worry about carrying in NJ right now until the court overturns the 2 nd amendment.

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

Id say if a court overturns the 2nd amendment we've all got big problems;)

9. fakwak

fakwak New Member

No, meaning in NJ will be permitted to carry on our person.

10. Ima-Savage

Ima-Savage New Member

my wife has difficulty cycling the trigger on revolvers because she has weak hands and they are small. That is something to consider when purchasing also. My wife decided she liked the Walther P-22. It is way under powered but, she is an accurate shooter. This will get her by for now until she can get more experience with a larger caliber.
    The Beretta 52 slide is easy to function and has very low recoil. Just an observation. Hope it helps!

11. Jeepergeo

Jeepergeo New Member

What is she going to do with it? Concealed carry? ;)Home protection? Target shooting? All of these? Each purpose has consideration factors, and while there may be overlap, the order and impprtance of factors changes.

For carry, light weight and knock down power might be the top factors. For target shooting, adjustable sights and a longer barrel might be a factor whereas knockdown is not a factor.

IMO, the Ruger SP101 platform works great for many women. The frame size is small to medium and fits smaller hands. You can get a 357 Magnum and then shhot 38 Specials when you don't need the full magnum power, or, it now comes in 22 LR. You can get snub nose, 3", and now a 4.2" barrel. For the Ruger, I would avoid the chamberings that need moon clips, better to stay with the 357 Mag or 22 LR.

For Home and Target Use, This Ruger is Nice!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  12. fakwak

fakwak New Member

She will be using it for only home defense and target practice.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Since you will primarily be shooting 38 spl, the S&W 19 or 66 with 4" barrel is a great choice. That was my wife's first center fire. Mild recoil and lighter than the GP100. Usually have excellent triggers. The Ruger Security Six would also be a good choice but you will only find them used.
    A semi auto with an exposed hammer are much easier to rack if the hammer is cocked.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012