First Range Day with the SUR

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by dnthmn2004, Mar 8, 2011.

1. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I hope you guys weren't hoping to see any pictures of tight groups on targets. Here's my story...:mad:

Went through the proper barrel break-in process with Remington UMC. I could only get my hands on a box of 50 which I used up in the break in process. I then switched to TulAmmo from Wali-World. I did a little research on this ammo online and found that its basically Wolf ammo in a different box. I got through about 130 rounds and just as I was getting some fantastic groups, the cases started to FTE. What garbage. I cycled the bolt to get the spent case out and did a quick clean of the bore as best I could with my limited cleaning supplies. I got through about another 20 rounds before it started FTE again.:mad:

Right as I pretty close to finishing up, some jerkoff shows up and wanted to use the rifle range for his handgun because the pistol range was full. I let him put up some targets on the 50yrd. He got maybe a dozen rounds on paper (no where near center) with a couple mags. Then the idiot starts bump firing! I was so pissed I just packed up and left my targets on the backboards. What a friggin idiot this guy was. I doubt he read the range rules (if hes even a member).:mad:

I suppose I have to get that last spent case out of the chamber now... Its stuck to the point where I fear I'll break the extractor.:mad:

I post a REAL range report next time guys, sorry.

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Super dirty cases.

Attached Files:

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Sorry for your bad experience. However since it's obviously an ammunition problem, it was a successful day. Your SUR sounds like it's good to go.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Those look nasty! Is that brass flaking or wrinkled up poly coating?

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Sorry to hear about the FTE's and the jerkoff but glad to hear you finally made it out, congrats! :D

Those are some damn dirty cases! :eek: Next time at Wally World try and grab a box of Federal. My AR has run trouble free with them and they are much cleaner running than what you got with Tula. ;)

6. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Coating and burnt powder. Last time I use TulAmmo. Its too bad theres plenty of it on the shelf. However, there is practically nothing else. When they do have Federal, its gone by the end of the day.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

take the bolt carrier out and use a cleaning rod and a 2x4 and tap the spent case out gently.

the case will shear off the head or rim before you break anyhting on the rifle

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I guess that is why those "stuck case removal tools" always come up under the "others who bought this item also chose:" whenever I look at cheapo Ruskie ammo in online catalogs.

I'm buying for my SKS; it was bred to eat crap.

9. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Yeah but why then do restraints and blow up dolls show up when I buy stuff? :confused:

Oh wait this is FTF, not Helga's House of Pain forum :eek:

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Fond memories of Helga's House of Pai........Damn!! :eek:

11. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Got it. Came out easier than I thought.

Cleaned her thoroughly and got more residue than I've ever seen after 200ish rounds.

I'm anxious to get revenge now! I was too busy breakin it in, sighting in the scope, dealing with FTEs and douchebags, I didn't even get to fire any successive rounds :(

12. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I had thought about doing this but was worried about breaking the case and having some metal stuck in the chamber. The extractor was stuck on the rim of the case though, so it took five hands that I didn't have to pull on the charging handle at the same time as tapping the cleaning rod.