First post. Problems with my first 1911!

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by be_alert1911, Dec 24, 2013.

1. be_alert1911

be_alert1911 New Member

Before I explain I attempted to use the search feature and came up dry so I decided to ask my question in a new thread. I'm new to this forum, but I've been scanning lots of info on here for awhile and I finally decided to make a profile cause there's so much knowledge on this site and I wanted to get involved.

My problem is I recently got my first 1911 and I attempted to put new hogue grips on it. Seemed successful at first but when I went to tighten the last screw I noticed it kept spinning and wouldn't actually tighten down. I removed the grips from the pistol and noticed the threaded bushing was now attached to the grip instead of the gun. Basically the threads that secure the bushing to the pistol are stripped I believe. I've never actually taken tools to my guns aside from basic cleaning and maintenance. I'm new to 1911 platform and I'm not sure what my options are to fix this problem.

It's a metro arms american classic II by the way. I can take some pictures in the morning of that'd help my situation.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like the threads are stripped, or possibly the screw holes themselves. Could be the wrong size screws.

Good luck.

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Have you removed the screw bushing from the grip and attempted to get it screwed back into the grip frame? It may have not been staked in place and may have backed out most if the way when you took the screw out originally. Or it may have been stripped, and they may have used lock-tite to hold if in place. If the bushing simply backed out., just screw it in tight and you can either stake it or put some lock-tite or nail polish on the threads before reinstalling it.

If the screw bushing is stripped and the grip frame threads are still ok, you can buy new bushings. I believe they also make oversized bushings to be used along with a tap for stripped holes.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sounds like the grip bushing wasn't properly staked after it was threaded into the frame. at the least, you will probably need a new grip bushing. take it to a compentent gunsmith and have them installed so the grip bushing can be staked properly. the grip bushings also come in two different heights as well dependent upon the thickness of the grips used. grip bushings are not very expensive either. you also need a screwdriver made for the bushings or modify one to work with them as i did. i also keep a few extra bushings on hand for just such things happening to mine as well.

5. be_alert1911

be_alert1911 New Member

I attempted to get the bushing out of the new grip but the only way I could think of would be an Allen wrench in the screw and a set of pliers or vice grips on the bushing on the opposite side. Which would probably run the bushings threads if it wasn't already.

sent from my fancy a** smart phone that does pretty much everything except for being smart.

using the firearms talk app.

6. be_alert1911

be_alert1911 New Member

I would like to do it my self so I'll check out ordering new bushings. There aren't any gun Smith's around here that I know of. I have a good friend that collects firearms and I plan on having him look at it after the holiday season.

sent from my fancy a** smart phone that does pretty much everything except for being smart.

7. Axxe55

you are probably going to ruin the bushing to get it unstuck from the grip. also order some new grip bushings and grip screws, as well. don't waste your time trying to save the bushing. this why i keep a few on hand when working on my 1911's.

8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Wrap the jaws of the pliers with a couple of layers of masking tape. Get a good grip, hold bushing, turn allen screw.

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

10. be_alert1911

be_alert1911 New Member

Thanks everyone for the info I should be able to tackle this.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The way I see it, your decision is thus:

If you take it to a gunsmith, you are sure of a correct repair.

OTOH, if you succeed in fixing it right yourself, you own that

problem, and the next time, something like it won't slow you

down too much.

I have a high degree of mechanical self-sufficiency, but,

when it gets questionable whether I can handle it, I also

take it to a competent gunsmith.

Either way you go, I have Hogue grips for my 1911 and

M9, and they have been a quantum jump in grip comfort,

in both cases. I wish I could find them for more of my pistols.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  12. be_alert1911

be_alert1911 New Member

Therewolf that makes sense. I consider myself to be mechanically inclined I've worked in most trades and when something in our around my house breaks I usually know how to fix it or I teach myself how. I think I'm gonna look at it a little closer order the bushings, and go from there it seems like a pretty simple fix. And I really want to get the gun back down range do I don't have time for turn around.

13. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

I would get ahold of the company first and see if your fix for the gun would void the warranty if there is one. If not tinker away and good luck.

14. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Do as 3c shooter said and take it off if you can. I have had several bushings come loose over the years and managed to save all of them Use a little loc-tite on the bushing. Have never heard of a bushing being "staked" in place and I have owned and own lots of 1911's.

15. Axxe55

i use a bit of locktite as well, but the gunsmith at my LGS has this tool, or one similiar, he uses to stake the grip bushings.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...p-bushing-staker-prod696.aspx?avs|Make_3=1911

16. new_girsan_1911

new_girsan_1911 New Member

17. Axxe55

like i said. personally i use a little bit of locktite as suggested. i saw the gunsmith using one when he was installing some new grip screw bushings one day and asked him about it. he said you can also use a center punch and stake them too. no different than staking any other screw or nut i guess.

i learn new stuff too. that was why i looked it up in the Brownells catalog. i actually saw this a few years ago.

18. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Yep never heard of that tool Axxe. Thanks for the lesson but I'll use a little loc-tite. I have replaced a few of mine and like being able to get them off if I brake a screw off in them. I have done that too.

19. Axxe55

until a couple of years ago, i didn't know about the tool either. i had heard of people staking grip bushings, but had never encountered any myself over the years. then a couple of years ago at my LGS, the gunsmith was staking grip bushings on a 1911. so i was curious about it.
    i too will just stick with a little locktite. at the worst a little bit of mild heat will make locktite release.