First Post. Need advice

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by TreyB55, May 28, 2013.

1. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

I am looking for a stock for my rifle. It's a Remington 700 VTR in .308 topped with a Leupold Mark 4 6.5-20x50 LR/T M1 with the TMR. What are your experiences with stocks for the 700? Looking for around $500 or so.

ForumRunner_20130528_202625.jpg

Attached Files:

2. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

3. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

4. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

Looking for more of the "tacticool" look. Vertical grip and squared butt. Im left handed but shoot right hand bolts, so thumb holes are no go unless they're essentially a full stock pistol grip like say a Choate ultimate sniper. Not a fan of laminate really. Looking fiber glass or poly. Heard people have problems with fiber glass chipping? I'm going to be hunting with this rifle but I want it to last a while.

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the VTR has the triangular barrel correct? if so, it might be a little hard to find a stock that works with the triangular barrel, unless you modify it in some way.

6. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

It has the same "diameter" as the SPS tactical, they just cut it into a triangle.

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

McMillan stocks. The choice of the professionals.

8. Txhillbilly

I prefer a Manners over a McMillan. IMO,Manners is a better stock.

9. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

Anybody have any experience with a Promag stock? I saw an ad for it and it looked interesting: Polymer with carbine fiber, impervious to solvent and oil, freefloated of course, Integral bipod with one handed deployment. It looked like it was adjustable for cheek fit, maybe butt too.

10. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

Ended up getting the Choate Ultimate Varmint. Liked the forend much better than the slanted of the Sniper.

11. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

12. Txhillbilly

My 300WM long range rifle sets in one of those only because I could fill the cavities up with shot.It weighs about 17lbs,but has almost zero recoil.
    That's about the only thing I like about that stock,but it works.
    I have the Choate Tactical stock on 3 of my other rifles,and it is a much better stock for the money. It's lighter,and more ergonomical for the shooter,plus it carries easy in the field.
    Trying to carry the one you have,even with a sling is a chore!

13. TreyB55

TreyB55 New Member

I don't do too much walking when hunting. I love the ergos of this stock actually. Different strokes I suppose.

14. ThatGunGuy7

ThatGunGuy7 New Member

you can never go wrong with a good mcmillan stock! They make some of the worlds best equipment and rifles. Majority of stocks for the r700 will be good in just really comes down to what you want the stock to do. I personally would find a stock with the aluminum bedding block. This will allow your rifle to fully bed itself over a period of time while shooting it.

http://weaponschat.com/

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

my understanding of the stocks with an aluminum bedding system only need to have the action torqued and they are good to go. please explain how they fully bed themselves over a period of shooting them.

16. E7018Dan

E7018Dan New Member

I was wondering this as well.