first optic for my AR

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by drvsafe, Jul 18, 2012.

1. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I have a PWS MK114. Great long stroke piston AR if anyone is interested. It came with MBUS, which are great for their purpose, but I am now looking for an optic. Needless to day, money is always the issue. I am not going cheapo out on something but at the same time, I am not going to spit a grand either. I was thinking I could afford about $350-$500. My use would be short and medium range target shooting, max out to 100 yards as well as plinking around on the farm and home protection.

The one that caught my eye (pun intended) was the Aimpoint P.R.O, which was released to civilians at the beginning of this year. Very good manufacturer, and the size and build quality look great.

Any opinions on this optic? Any other suggestions as far as another option in this price range?

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i do not know of the optic which you speak of. but i do know what we have on my wifes AR and its great. a pepr mount with a nikon 3x9.. its great. we too mostly do 100 yard and less work with it. and i think its a great setup. at 230bucks total its a reasonable price too.

3. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Not really looking for any magnification (maybe 2x at best), but looking for a red dot not a scope...

4. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

5. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

Aim point is good people. The PRO looks good, but if you're just using it inside 100 yards and for plinking and defense, you may want to consider the comp 2 series. I picked up one of the non-IR ones (less settings) for about $300, and snagged a co-witness capable mount for $70...

The PRO's may be the "dept on a budget" model (not knocking it, that's the sales point: it's made for cops on a budget) but they ARE the new product rollout and that sometimes means a higher price point than an optic that's a few gen's older, but still suitable...

Also, check out EOTech. "similar but different" to the aim points, they perform to a similar criteria.

However, I do have to say, Trijicon is king. The price tag is salty, no doubt, but I've NEVER seen better combat optics...

6. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

This PRO comes with the mount adjusts for co-witness right out the box. it's been around for about 1.5 years and just recently offered to civilians.

I have to agree on trijicon but I don't have the $$ for it. For right now $400 tops my budget.

7. StoneCat

StoneCat New Member

I didn't know it came with the mount. Very cool. I started off with a cantilever mount that had the co-witness in the "bottom third" and I didn't like it, so I switched to one that was dead-on co-witness...

Anyway I'd say you can't beat the PRO.

I do think those new Trijicon SRS's are too cool though... But to rich for my blood...

Out of curiosity, what's your BUIS setup?
    I've got a standard fixed front (colt le6920) and a Magpul 1st gen rear. I like it, but in fairness, haven't exactly tried others.

It's too bad we can't all get together and swap parts around and try stuff out haha!

8. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

MBUS. Them flip-ups that came with the rifle. Not bad, but....I'm actually too green in black guns to really have a strong opinion on them. But I've been shopping the PRO for about 3 months now. IT seemed like a good option, priced well, well made, flexible enough for co witness, adding magnification or night vision (not that I'd ever add THAT) and the battery life is 3 years, just turn it on and you're good for 3 years...

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

drvsafe,

I like the Pros also. But you might also want to take a look at the EOTechs.
    They are also a fantastic sight. And good for 100 yards or more since the have a 1 MOA Dot which will not cover the target up at longer ranges and a 65 MOA Halo Ring as I call it. Th Reticle to the human eye is seen as a 1 MOA Dot.

10. LandMonster

LandMonster New Member

Poke around the equipment exchange on AR15.com and you may be able to get into a good used acog for that money.

11. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Like the 512? It's pricey, no? the ones I've seen in my price range are the "RF" models and they say they're specifically made for .22 or smaller rim fire cart.

I'm reluctant to purchase certain things used, I feel like people beat these to hell and I'd be buying their problems. That not withstanding, you think I can find a used ACOG for under $400?

12. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

In trying to keep my costs down I found the Vortex StrikeFire optic. What is the general consensus on this optic? Seems like decent quality, the YT reviews seem to give it decent grades. I don't LOVE the 4 MOA dot, I would prefer smaller, but...for well under $200...can I get everything I want?

13. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

that 4MOA is on full brightness which makes it appear large . The more you turn it down the smaller it appears I shoot mine daytime on 1 power at highest . if its overcast or near dark I try to use the NV setting just to keep it small if possible. its been a great optic in my collection of ARs . Vortex says its waterproof to 49.87 ft. You wont find that in any of the info I called them to get this info . Best part is Vortex customer srevice is top notch and it does have a lifetime warranty . It can be found most places for $169 and if you catch it on sale when PSA runs a sale it can be bought for $119

14. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

How well will it work with a magnifier? I'd love to add that as well, and with 4 MOA dot, I'm afraid that it may get too big.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

you will never need to run it on full brightness. Guys use magnifiers with them all the time . Are you shooting steel plates or you trying to shoot the X out of paper targets ? that will make the difference in your decision based on what you are looking to use it for . if Im paper punching tight groups I take out the scoped ar if were shooting 10" steel plates a red dot is fine

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

For right now I'm at indoor ranges, shooting paper at 25 yards. I am pondering the magnifier for the future. Would the 4 MOA prove a PITA at that distance?

17. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

at 25 yards it will be more than fine keep the brightness turned down and it wont look any different than my 2 moa RDS

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Anything with the Aimpoint name on it will be top quality. I'm planning on buying a P.R.O. right after the first of the year.