First one... advice

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by wreck1819, Jun 18, 2010.

1. wreck1819

wreck1819 New Member

Hi, I'm just about to turn that magical 21 soon and one of the first things i plan on doing is getting my first pistol. I guess this question is really two parted, since I will buy a 1911 since i love them but will also need a reliable 9mm for practicality. Which should i get first the 9mm or 1911, and what type of 9mm should i get..., I was looking at the Springfields XD, H&K USP, and Glock, but i'm still undecided. If you have any suggestions as to any better ones please tell me.
    Thanks

2. gilfo

gilfo Member

Why not get a 1911 in 9mm. Some real nice ones out there. Some wil say a 1911 MUST be in 45, but the 9mm's are nice and cheap to shoot.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Get the xd9 , then later work up to the 1911. :cool:

4. wreck1819

wreck1819 New Member

i thought about it and my dad has one that is really nice, but for the 9mm i think i really want a polymer, something i can drag through the boonies and not worry about how it looks

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The $400+ polymer 9mms are almost all excellent guns. There's probably a dozen or more really good options to choose from. Very few of these will let you down, so it's really on you to try a few out and figure out what best tickles your fingers.

I'd be willing to lay my money down for just about any of these poly 9's if the price was right:

Glock 17/19
    Springfield XD
    FN FNP
    S&W M&P
    CZ P-07
    Sig 2022/P250
    HK USP/P2000
    Kahr PM/KP/CW
    Ruger SR9
    Beretta PX4
    Walther P99

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've got a Glock 19 and love it. However, the Springfield XDm or XD is great in 9mm. Glock really doesn't have external safeties, but the XDm does. It does seem to me that as long as you are planning on a 1911, it would be good to go with a 9mm with an external safety.

This way, the training you do around "safety off--squeeze trigger" (or whatever...remember I shoot a Glock) will be able to easily transfer to the 1911 or vice versa.

Rather than have 2 processes for 2 totally different systems.

Am I off-base, 1911'ers?

7. utf59

utf59 New Member

You asked which to get first, and I'd say the one you plan to use for defense. If you would use either for defense, or if they are both to be range guns, I would say to get the 9mm first. It's cheaper to buy and to shoot, which will get you on your way to saving for your 1911 sooner. Plus, depending on your experience level, it will teach you things you like and don't like, which knowledge you can apply when selecting a 1911.

Speaking of experience, how experienced a shooter are you? I ask because selecting your 9mm might well depend on whether you prefer SA/DA, DAO, striker-fired, etc.

Do you plan to carry the gun? If so, how will you dress? How much will the weight of the gun affect your decision? What about the dimensions — length, height, thickness?

There have been plenty of good choices listed. Knowing more about what you have planned will help us narrow down suggestions.

8. wreck1819

wreck1819 New Member

i'm a decent shot with the pistol, and doen't require any "extra" training, i'm not to worried about safety feautures since about the only safety i believe in is the hand on the gun.
    I do plan to carry and am not to terribly worried about the lengh and to an extent the width although i love the slimness of the 1911, actaully i dont want anything under 4 inches.
    What i am looking for is something that has a nice short crisp trigger pull, good accuracy, and reliability all in a decent budget. They are going to all purpose pistols used for both defense and range, and when i conceal carry i'll probably be wearing a sports coat.
    i hope that was discriptive enough..

9. General_lee

General_lee New Member

You can't go wrong with an XD-9, or XDM-9.

10. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

plus 1 fo' sho'

11. luckyg

luckyg New Member

I don't see that the 9mm is any more practical than a .45ACP 1911.
    Ammo might be a bit more expensive, but being realistic, how much ammo do you plan to shoot in a months time?

Between work, and family and friends, and other hobbies and interests, I'm lucky if I can get in a couple of hours a month of range time.
    And usually it's just around one hundred rounds or so per session.
    So in an entire year I will only shoot about 2500 rounds max.

That might not sound like much, but it's more practice ammo than most police officers or military get.

12. Pat-inCO

Pat-inCO New Member

I have a Kimber in 9mm and find it fun to shoot. The best part is that having a 1911 in 9mm and in .45ACP means that all practice "translates". That is to say that since the sights are the same, trigger is the same and other controls are the same, any practice is good.

If you start mixing modes (different types - striker fired and 1911) it becomes more problematical until you have eight or ten thousand rounds under your belt. :)

I was out at the range last year and a friend was shooting his Springfield 1911 (all steel, 5"). I told him that my Kimber 9mm had just about the same recoil as his Springfield. He looked at me like I had gone insane, so I handed him the Kimber (alloy frame, 4") and a mag full of ammo. He shot three and turned to me with his chin on his chest. His comment was "WOW!, You're right."

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Unless I have a specific reason for the .45 immediately, I'd buy the 9mm first simply because the less expensive ammo will mean more shooting.

I'm kind of partial to Springfield XDm's.

14. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Get a Glock for sure. Any Cal you deside you want they got.