First newb question

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jeepnjonny, Aug 29, 2013.

1. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

I am hoping to start a new job this fall and when I do I will be buying a new gun after the first few pay checks come in. I'm leaning towards a rifle semi auto of some sort. I would like an sks and a M1a. And I suppose I'll get what ever one I find for the best deal.

My question is what is sportization to a rifle?

2. johnr1943

johnr1943 New Member

Welcome from Union County, NC :)

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Welcome to FTF.
    I assume you mean sporterizing.
    Simply put it is generally cutting down a rifle to make it more maneuverable for hunting etc. this is often done at the cost of the value of the gun.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

well, they may be okay rifles to start with generally i recommend a bolt action as a starter rifle. but its up to you.

also, if you live in states like CA, NY, and others you wil not as of right now be able to buy either of those rifles you mentioned.

along with that^ it also means changing stocks, adding an optic to a generally optic less rifle.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  5. icallshotgun88

icallshotgun88 New Member

You want a semi auto rifle?
    ...why not America's favorite rifle?
    The AR15!

You can buy it, build it, customize it, etc.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Sporterized means a military rifle that has been modified to be more like a civilian sporting rifle. These are both mauser 98's.

mauser original.jpg

mauser sport.jpg

One is the originial military issued rifle, one has been "sporterized" by ts civilian owner.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  7. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

This is what I was asking. Thank you. I was reading in some of the Mosin threads and came across the term.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

It's the reduction in value of a military rifle to the

approximate value of dog poo. There are stocks for sale,

like a rash, all over the net. But if you do this to a rifle,

have it in mind to keep it. Because no one else will want it.

9. orangello

orangello New Member

I enjoy my SKS rifle very much. I have put it in a different stock and have used tapco 20 round removable magazines. I think the original configuration is a little more balanced. It is by far the less expensive of your two options, as is its ammo.

10. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

I enjoy my SKS too and think it's more just for FUN! It's a FUN GUN! I don't hunt but I have a 17m with a scope, that seems better to use for hunting purposes. If you want to just blow up stuff... get the SKS, it's a FUN GUN!

11. jeepnjonny

jeepnjonny New Member

I have a few bolt action rifles. (30.06, 308 deer guns and a rem 700 in the truck with me right now))I want one of these more for recreational purposes. I really like the look of the older guns. And my goal would be to have one of each in the next few years (sks, ak, M1, AR) with the AR being last on the list.

I'm a Utah native and currently live in Idaho. So not too much to worry about regarding gun laws.

Thanks for all the feed back.

12. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Sporterizing; the process of turning a $500 gun into a $150 gun by spending another $500 on it.