first muzzleloader

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by randy420, Jun 8, 2013.

1. randy420

randy420 New Member

I decided to save up for a muzzleloader instead of an 870. I really need a ml more than any other gun. Last time I was at gander mountain I found 3 TC rifles I like:
    1. Omega z5 - $380+tax
    2. Bone collector - $600+tax
    3. Pro hunter fx - $600+tax

All three are 209 magnums. I like the latter 2 rifles because of the flextec stock. I am kinda recoil sensitive but my noise sensitivity problem is a little worse. I would like advice on slugs and would like to know what the bare minimum powder charge I could use to cleanly kill a Whitetail. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013

3. randy420

randy420 New Member

I want an inline ML. I already have a shotgun. I don't like mossberg to begin with. Their rifles are good and their o/u shotguns are OK but their pumps suck.

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Um, the 500 becomes an in-line muzzleloader. But if the Mossberg 500's suck, well...

5. randy420

randy420 New Member

I'm talking about legit MLS not conversions.

6. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

While this is outside your OP....I love a more traditional approach. My favorite is a .50 cal. Ball and cap. It is fun to shoot and gratifying to hunt with. Now, if inline is what you want...I suggest one of the TC's that you mentioned. I have heard nothing but good things.

7. randy420

randy420 New Member

I have one of the $100-$300 kits from CVA. Its a .45 percussion. It's not put together yet and I probably won't shoot it, I will most likely put it above the fireplace. The inline I picked from my list in the beginning of this thread is the TC Omega or a CVA Kodiak if I can find one.

8. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

You should definitely have one to shoot....it is a lot of fun! There is something about hunting game with this type of firearm that makes it very gratifying....this is the same reason that I like bow hunting. Don't get me wrong...a scoped rifle is fun and takes skill...but ml and bow are a different sort of skill.....almost feels instinctual in a, way.

9. randy420

randy420 New Member

I like bow Hunting as well because of my noise sensitivity problem.

10. northeast_hunter

northeast_hunter New Member

I am also deciding on my first muzzleloader. I'm looking at the CVA line, as I have a few friends that own them, and have read a lot of great reviews. Anyone have any positive feedback on any of them? I was considering the Accura in the synthetic/stainless. I found some good prices on muzzle-loaders.com, and thinking about taking advantage of their free shipping promo this month. Anyone have any thoughts on which CVA they like the most?