First Impressions of RIA Tactical 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by CA357, Nov 27, 2008.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

First Impressions RIA Tactical 1911

My first impressions of this RIA Tactical are mixed so far. I field stripped the pistol and gave it a thorough cleaning and lube.

1. The pistol was full of dirty oil and gritty/miniscule metal particles. The oil mixture looked the dregs in the bottom of an oil pan. So, not impressed.

2. The barrel was absolutely filthy. It was dirtier than a barrel after 300 rounds. I had to really scrub it out with a bore brush and a bunch of Hoppe's Elite. Remember, this is a new pistol. Two down, still not impressed.

3. The right side cutout for the beavertail safety looks like it was gnawed out by a deranged hamster on crack. Number Three, not only not impressed, but looking over my shoulder for a drug crazed hamster.

4. Number four must wait until I shoot this thing, sometime in the next few days. A range report will then be forthcoming.

All I can say after my initial impressions, is that it better shoot the nuts off a gnat.

I bought it as a beater/shooter, and it looks like that's exactly what it is. If it shoots accurately and reliably, I'll be happy with it.

I took the stock smooth wood grips off and installed Hogue double diamond grips. I had to do a bit of trimming on both grips to acommodate the ambi extended safety.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

CA - Thanks for the truthful, and complete, first impressions of the weapon. Nobody wants to admit to buying something they are not happy with, but your review was truthful, and you left an open for the overall performance of the pistol to save itself. Which, for your case, I hope is the case.

There have been plenty of 1911 battles around here lately concerning if you get more gun for more money.

As the RIA is more a budget model, I, for one, will be interested in your truthful and thorough range report.

Good luck Brother -

JD

3. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Wow, it was that dirty new? I got mine (full-size government) about 2 years ago and it was a year old at the time and had only been fired a few times. Except for an "Idiot Scratch" between the trigger and slide lock it was in perfect condition. I can hit a standard size post-it at 20 yards with all factory parts.

I know a guy who also has one with some more expensive parts: full length guide rod, match grade barrel, competition trigger etc. He's very impressed with his.

4. CA357

I currently have a Dan Wesson CBOB, had and sold a Baer TRS that was stellar and also had a Springfield Mil Spec that I sent to Springfield Custom and Novak's for some tricks.

So, I have a reasonable basis for comparison. I bought the RIA strictly for knocking around, BOB use and keeping in the truck. So I really don't care in the least about its cosmetics. In fact, for my purposes, the uglier the better. (I think it looks meaner ;))

BTW, I already found out that it doesn't like Baer or DW mags.

I'll be taking it to the range Saturday morning and will post a report after.

If the pistol ultimately doesn't get it, I'll just sell it and buy something else.

Life's way too short to waste a bunch of time polevaulting over mouse turds.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Say it isn't so CA?!?! :eek:

In the immortal words of Brain - "Pinky, if I could reach you, I would hurt you." ;)

That hurts just a little bit inside.... I fear I might need a moment of silence....

JD

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

You sold the Les Baer? I hope you at least turned a profit on the sale.

7. CA357

A man's gotta' do what a man's gotta' do. ;)

8. CA357

Well, I took it to the range, but only managed to put three magazines through it. It shot accurately.

We had guests to instruct and I didn't have time to do any shooting. It was great fun though. My buddy, his girlfriend, her 14 and 16 year old daughters and her ex sister in law were there. We had a ball.
    The ex sister in law is an LA liberal and she didn't have a good time for some reason. :D

Back to the RIA... The slide won't hold open on the last round with any mag other than with the one factory supplied mag.

So far, it doesn't work at all with Les Baer or Dan Wesson mags. It will operate with Kimber mags, but won't hold open when the last round is fired. :rolleyes:

I emailed Ivan at Armscor about the dirt/grit and poor safety cuts in the frame and he said to send it to them. I'll now add the magazine issue to the list and ship it off to Nevada come Monday.

I'll keep you posted.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^ Definitely keep us posted. It will be interesting to see how it performs once the "repairs" have been made.

On that report, I am inclined to give that particular model a thumbs down from the JD center of the world. Not worth the risk in a true Life or Death situation with that poor of performance, regardless of how it shot when it did cycle okay. A broken watch still being right twice a day sort of thing.

Thanks for the report CA - best of luck with the repairs...

JD

10. CA357

I don't know if I'll ship it back. I think I may just clean it and sell it. I'll pick up something else.

11. bgeddes

bgeddes New Member

I bought a $10 gun show mag just to see if it would work right, it didn't, go figure.

Mine works (hold open and proper feed) with all the Novak, Mecgar, and Colt mags, I had to borrow some to try. I will not buy any of them after handling Kimber's mags.

12. matt g

I've got 4 7 round Kimber mags that all work beautifully. They sit around the house with ammo in them until I hit the range, then I pull my defense ammo out of them, load them with ball and run them all day long. When I get home, they each get 6 rounds of defense ammo and they sit back that way until I get back out to the range. They lived through that cycle for close to 10 years now.

13. CA357

Yup, my Baer and DW mags feed like champs. That's why I was surprised that they don't work in the RIA.
    The Kimbers are brand new, stainless and have the same lip configuration as the factory mag, I was very surprised they won't hold open.

I really dislike the idea of not being able to interchange mags in my 1911's.

14. matt g

My Kimbers are Parkerized and beat to ****, they still feed quite nicely. Bummer deal though. Have you called RIA to see what they recommend?

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Quoted for Truth! If you can't pick up a field mag, slap it in and feel comfortable about it going bang, you need to find another thigh rig.

My Nighthawks and my Kimbers go bang with anything I run through them. Both platforms have been proven to be reliable in hundreds of rounds of range time, with multiple ammo, regardless of manufacturer.

The only mag I have ever had a problem with is when I bought into the whole "extended mag" situation and bought an 11 rounder from some unknown company and it doesn't feed worth crap. Dumped it and stuck with the 8+1 round configuration.

9 rounds of .45 is going to get me through most situations, and when it won't, I have both my belt and shoulders rigs with 2 full mags....

JD

16. matt g

Hundreds of rounds?

Psshh, newb... :D

17. CA357

I listed it for sale on another forum. :eek:

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's per gun - and I added another 150 through the 5" GRP this weekend....But, I do admit to not shooting as much as I would like. After the start of the year I hope to get my reloading bench on line and change that though...

JD

19. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I don't know bro - that sounds like bad karma....:confused:

What's the next planned purchase?

20. CA357

I dunno. Another full size 1911 of some description.

As far as selling the RIA, I can't afford to keep it and buy another 1911. It has to go to help defray the cost of the new one. It shoots accurately and doesn't have an issue with the factory mag and it's a cheap full size 1911 for someone.

The alternative is to sell my Baer mags and pick up some CMC mags or some similar brand. Then, as long as they work in the CBOB and the RIA, I could keep the RIA. I could live with that.