First homemade 1911 holster finished

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by LongBaller71, Jun 21, 2012.

1. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

UPDATE!! - First homemade 1911 holster finished

Just finished up my first homemade holster for my 1911 FS. I've made a couple pocket holsters before, but nothing like this. I picked up some leather from a local boot shop. It's vacuum formed and hand cut and stitched. It's my take on an avenger style OWB with a 25* cant. Made it to fit up to 1 3/4" belt. It no Milt, but I like it. Let me know what you guy think, please. I need a little polishing up on the finer points and stitching for sure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  2. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I think I love that. Very nice leather. When you make one for an officers 3.5 inch let me know. :)

3. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

How's the retention and one handed holstering it?

4. W. C. Quantrill

W. C. Quantrill New Member

Nice one! Good start for a first holster. My stuff gets used,,,I use it hard, rifle stocks get chipped and scratched, and holsters really take a beating. I just made one for an everyday carry, it is light, and efficient, gets the job done, it will get wet, frozen, and all beat up in a couple more years, and then I'll just make another one.

Its basically a Ranger model of the late '30's, Austin pattern.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The holster has a 15 degree rake,,,and it gets the job done. This is light 7oz leather, and it is going to work fine, The next one comes off the 8oz hide.

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Beautiful leatherwork guys!

I don't have a 1911, nor do i carry concealed or use a holster for more than a walk in the woods or to keep the spare mag with my XD45. That said, why doesn't the second holster shown have to cover the trigger? Is it safe that way or an accepted risk that is mitigated by the manual safety of the 1911?

6. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Thanks guys. I just picked up some better blades so the pattern cutting will be better. I also realized that there are certain stages where some things need to be sewn before others and some done last.

KY - the retention is fantastic at this point and should hol up quite well long term. The shell is a thick 8oz. tanned hide that is super rigid when dried after forming. I'll have to take a few pics of it on and a quick vid on draw and re-holstering one handed. I really like the aggressive cant and it seems to work well for now. I'm working on a couple more that are slightly different in cant and also belt loop style. We shall see which comes out ahead over the next couple months of use.

Edit - here's a few crappy cell pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Nice stuff guys keep it up maybe we will all be buying your stuff one day.

8. W. C. Quantrill

I really like your vac forming on that holster, Dave. My vac was not working when I made this one. So I improvised. One thing I do, is i whittle a wooden spacer that goes between the front sight and the back sight, and I tape it into place when forming. That way the leather does not pull down between the sights and create a bow in the front edge, which causes sight drag.

[​IMG]
    This is a Mexican double loop that I made at the same time as the Ranger holster. This is actually a Cheyenne pattern for the '58 Remington. I use hammer thongs on all my holsters, including the 1911. I dont have to worry about retention, and if I need it, it is simple to slip off.

This holster, Orangelo, lets the gun set deep and the trigger is covered. This holster is for entertainment. The .45 holster is for social work. Like I said, it is patterned after a Texas Ranger holster of the late 1930's, an Austin pattern. Rangers of that time were known to remove safeties, or tie them back with rawhide. One of the more interesting accounts of that is when a concerned citizen approached Ranger Charlie Miller and pointed it out and asked if that wasnt dangerous, to which, Charlie replied, "I wouldnt carry the son of a b***h if it wasnt dangerous." I liked the looks of it and made one for my gun. It is open at the bottom to shed water, rocks, dirt, and pieces and parts of other flying debris.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  9. W. C. Quantrill

Two things you can do, Dave when cutting the leather, use a leather knife, a HEAD KNIFE or a pair of heavy scissors/snips/shears.
    [​IMG]

There is no substitute for a good head knife when working leather, it does lots of jobs. When cutting your leather out, I ofttimes use a pair of tin snips. They leave a nice edge that will slick up real easy. I finish all my holsters with Whites boot dressing wax. It is the best preservative wax I have found.

10. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Wow, WC, that's a serious looking blade! I've seen headhunters with less scary tools! LoL!

Thanks for all the tips. I appreciate it very much!

11. W. C. Quantrill

That blade is about 4" wide, it isnt that large, but you can make perfectly straight cuts by rocking it, or use those pointed corners by choking up on the blade and cutting not straight cuts. It is sharpened from the handle out to the edge, and you can shave, or skive edges and do all sorts of custom work with it,,,it removes lips, noses, ears, hahahahahahaha

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

THAT sir - is some nice ******* work!! Hats off to you and MAD RESPECT on an excellent and well done labor of love!

JD

13. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Looks really good longbaler , alot better than i could have done. I've tried my hand at a single action holster before, lets just say i wasn't very sucessful. I personaly wouldn't be aftaid to carry with it at all.

14. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Updated and fixed pics!!

Thanks Dillinger & ellwood! Everyone's feedback and tips are awesome!!

Finally had a few mins to sit down today and finish up holster #2. Also an avenger style OWB adaptation. I really like this one a lot; even more than the first. It's quite a bit softer than the tanned hide, but still has great retention and draw.

Whatcha think?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  15. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Posted these in the accessories forum, but wanted to throw them in here too for some more feedback. Needing all the constructive criticism I can get, so I can keep getting better at this! Thanks again!

Black cowhide with ostrich trim owb holster and mag holster -
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. ibewiggin

ibewiggin New Member

They look great! I bet you could really make some money if you learned to do some tooling on them. My only suggestion, you already hit. Work on the stitching, and if it were mine, I would like to see more stitching.

17. ellwood45c

ellwood45c New Member

Lokks real good so when can ya make me one ?

18. MrWray

MrWray New Member

That is some talent my friend, i love the black leather with the white stitching. I would be proud wear that on my hip

19. LongBaller71

LongBaller71 New Member

Thanks guys! I'm working hard to get the stitching technique better and easier. By hand is a bi@ch to say the least, but I'm not ready to drop $500-$1500 on a machine just yet! Ouch!

I'll be hand boning more detail in these as I go, too. Made myself a couple wood tools that should make a big difference.

I've got my first IWB and another OWB going now and hopefully will have them done tonight.

Ellwood - anytime! If you don't mind buying from a rookie and would do a full review a few weeks down the road, I'd sell you one on the cheap! Looking for a full size 5"? Matching mag pouch? Just let me know and we can work out the details.

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Absolutley agree :)