Firearms Talk banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
If you can do without the deer hunting option for a bit, I'd say opt for one of the many good .22lr pistols out there. Ruger, Browning, Beretta, and Smith and Wesson all make respectable rimfires. I shoot a Smith & Wesson 22A on every range trip. Very fun to shoot, cheap ammo, and great as a utility gun for general purpose varmint riddance. Any of the aforementioned will do the same task. I used to use a Ruger MK II for the same purpose. Of course neither are suitable for hunting deer.

Every handgun deer hunter I know uses a big 'ole long barrelled revolver. Certainly some folks hunt with big caliber autoloaders. The cost of the care and feeding of a big caliber gun will off set the cost of a $250 .22 in not that much time. Even if you use the .22 for bargain ammo to make range trips more affordable and more often, and practice with a 'deer gun' from time to time.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.