first handgun...

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by k-lest, Mar 1, 2012.

1. k-lest

k-lest New Member

Hi all...Looking to finally purchase my first gun, looking at it as an investment. $800-$1000 budget. Pretty sure I want a 45... don't wanna get bored with it too fast... open to all suggestions/ input I can get.... thanks!

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

PLEASE---More details :confused:

3. k-lest

k-lest New Member

Well I'm in nj, so I'm not too concerned with carrying ( permit is damn near impossible to get...) the gun will be for home security first, but definitely want to take it target shooting.

4. fakwak

fakwak New Member

My first gun was an XD45 for knock down power and gun safety. Very pleased with this gun and am now planning my next purchase which will be an XD45 compact or subcompact. My wife also enjoys using this gun also. Good luck

5. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

I would second a vote for the XD. I have it in 9MM but its a great platform regardless of caliber and I think you will really enjoy it. I have about 500 rounds through mine and it keeps getting better and better.

6. Olympus

Olympus New Member

With your budget, the 1911 is a no-brainer. Especially since you say you dont want to get bored with it. There only so many things you modify on a polymer pistol. But the choices are almost limitless with a 1911. You can make your gun look like a completely new gun with just a few modifications. You can change the grips out as often as you want to give it a "fresh" look. For your budget, you can get some very good guns!

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

45's I like under $1000:

• Various 1911s (SA, Colt, Ruger, Sig)
    • Sig Sauer P220
    • Springfield XDm45

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I do love my XD45 geezer barrel, but the 1911 might hold your interest longer with its tinkering needs & customizationability.

9. k-lest

k-lest New Member

Thanks guys, yeah I was checking out ( haven't shot it... yet) a buddy's Kimber 1911, seemed like a nice gun. I like all the modification options mentioned by Olympus, and will probably try a few different brands before deciding on my 1911. Wanna get a nice one... cuz my second gun will definitely be a revolver.

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Kind of my thoughts-
    Thats why i have both :D

11. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

You should really consider getting a 22 in like version so that you can spend lots of time on the range without breaking the budget - - - put 200-300 rounds thru the 22 and finish with 1 or 2 mags thru the 45

Been there done that!

If you watch yourself you can come up with both still under $1,000.00

12. canebrake

canebrake New Member

In your price range I'd look at a Colt Government like my SS Model O1070XSE

[​IMG]

Then with a little time and money you can turn the gun into your own!

[​IMG]

Or with a little more money, turn it into a real hand cannon!

[​IMG]

13. k-lest

k-lest New Member

Nice looking piece cane... what modifications did you make in the last pic? Again I'm way wet behind the ears here...

14. Duck4Glocks

Duck4Glocks New Member

I don't own one yet because I lack the funds, but with your budget I would suggest a 1911. Ruger makes a really nice new 1911 that I want badly. They are a little hard to find because they came out last year and are slow on production.

image-2626651637.jpg

Kimbers are pretty nice too but I feel they are a little over price compared to what you get with a Colt. Good luck with whatever you choose. Be safe and have fun.

15. k-lest

k-lest New Member

is there a brand that makes a 1911 w/ interchangeable parts to accommodate .22 ammo?