first handgun...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by n_andonovski, Sep 21, 2010.

1. n_andonovski

n_andonovski New Member

im looking to buy my first handgun.
    i want either a:
    Barretta M9 9mm
    Glock .45cal
    or S&W .44mag.

what do you guys think?

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

How much firearms experience do you have?

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Out of those I would go with the Beretta. You can get lots more time because of the cost of ammo.
    Why not a glock in 9mm? Or anything else in 9mm? CZ75b would be my favorite 9mm of them all.

OR, possibly a .22lr like a browning buckmark or ruger mark series.??

I would stay away from the .44mag's for a while. :)

4. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Both Gary and Brian ideas got my attention. The wheel gun in .357 or the .22 cal pistol are good choices as first handguns. The S&W .357s revolvers are very reliable and the .22 cal pistol is economical and a good handgun to train with.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Your experience level will help. As a starter handgun, definetly a 22., Middle experience, 9mm or 357Mag, as an experienced person, then dabble with the .44.

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Wait, not Melbourne Australia, right?

If not, i also suggest a smaller caliber for a starter, 9mm or .22. I have really enjoyed my Ruger GP100 revolver, if that is your taste.

7. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Unless you're going on a walkabout in the presence of large, four-legged predators...one of these does not belong.

44mags are cool, but as your first/only handgun?

If you want a revolver, buy a 357. If you want an auto, 9mm, 40sw, & 45acp are all good choices. My admittedly biased recommendation would be a CZ 75b, but the Beretta and Glock can be fine choices as well.

8. amoroque

amoroque New Member

I would narrow it down to one caliber and then try out a few different guns in that caliber.

When I was in the market for my first handgun, I wanted a good firearm for self defense and after shooting many firearms owned by my friends and family I decided on a 45 acp.

From there I went to a few ranges and rented every 45 they had available and decided on my Springfield 1911.

9. Recon 173

Recon 173 New Member

Go to a gun store that rents different firearms and test fire various handguns. You also need to better define what you want the pistol to do for you. If you're looking for a good handgun for personal defense, go with a good .45 caliber. If you just want an all purpose handgun then go with a good 9 mm pistol. Which ever gun you choose, practice with it a lot. Get to know it well. When you get tired of practicing with it, then practice even more with it. One of the main keys to owning a pistol is being able to manipulate it in a safe and accurate manner. Being able to shoot a handgun is only part of the picture with gun ownership. Handling safely, even in dark conditions, is an important item too.

10. JoeParker

JoeParker New Member

Of those you listed, I personally suggest a .45. Good for home defense and a decent plinker. However, .45 ammunition is fairly more expensive than 9mm.

Just my thoughts.

11. 007BondJamesBond007

007BondJamesBond007 New Member

I would go with the 9mm for a first gun. I would stay away from Glocks as I feel is not a beginners handgun from a safety stand point. The 44 mag has to much recoil to learn to shoot well and too expensive to get in enough practice time.

12. StanDJ77

StanDJ77 New Member

Yes, i agree on choosing the 9mm. Even though i like the glock .45, i wouldnt wnt that for my first gun. I have a 9mm right now but, i had it for awhile and im used to it. im ready to sell it so i can upgrade to a .40.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Out of that choice I'd go with the 9mm unless you had a specific back-country need... then probably the .45. If you go the .45 route, I'd pick up a .22 immediately. .22 will allow a lot more shooting.