First Handgun, Glock?

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by ejewels, Apr 19, 2010.

1. ejewels

ejewels New Member

Ok, so I'm creating a new post as I've made a few trips to the range recently and have developed some more questions. Some friends of mine keep on talking up H&K and how great they are. I'm still trying to figure out what my first handgun is going to be! I've only shot G19's and G23's and some revolvers and .22's. I loved the glocks, but I was wondering how the following guns stack up:

HK USP Compacts (9mm & .40)
    XD40 or XD-9s.

more / less recoil? more / less fun to shoot? more/less accurate?

2. junho806

junho806 New Member

Ive only heard good things about the XD
    the HK are good too but they are not worth the money IMO but if you can afford it go for it
    have you tried a 1911?
    nothing like a nice SA trigger :D
    you really should try to shoot all of them if you can because in the end its what you fits you the best (budget, hand etc.)

3. Jess

Jess New Member

I have an XD in 9mm the subcompact one. Hubby has a Glock19. I prefer my gun all day everyday.

4. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

All are good choices. But if you liked the Glock and shot it well, get one. I'd get a G19.

5. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I have to chime in with my opinion. If you like the Glock, Take a look at the S&W Sigma.:D

6. ejewels

ejewels New Member

haven't tried a 1911, but i am dying to.

Are HK's like BMWs or Mercedes and a Glock would be a Honda? How is that for a comparison?

7. User Name

User Name New Member

G19. I would say H&K if you have the money but for the price you would pay for one of those I would just get a 1911. For the money a G19 is probably your best bet. If you want to go cheaper you could look at a Sigma. Its pretty much a G19 replica with a 12lbs trigger pull. Compared to a G19 is around 5.5lbs. The aftermarket for the glock is also more extensive.

8. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

All 3 are good choices for personal D or plinking.
    With Glock or XD you'll be a couple bills less than the HK.

IMHO the XD is the best value on your list and you owe it to yourself to shoot one before droping your money on the counter.

I personaly prefer the XD's ergonomics to either of the other 2 and think it's a much stronger desing than the Glock.

Good luck.

Tack

9. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

What's your budget? What would you use it for?

For $500 -$600 you have LOTS of choices and everyone has their preferences.

If it is just going to be a range gun I would get a 9mm. Ammunition gets expensive and 9mm is still reasonable. You'll pay nearly twice as much for .45, that's half as much shooting time. I wouldn't get a 1911 for a first gun, but I would get something with single action capabilities.

My personal choice would be a CZ75b in 9mm. Here's a look at mine. $550 out the door, 2 16+1rd magazines, and a reputation you can count on. (bottom link)

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/range-report-cz-75-sp-01-a-16349/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/cz97bd-21608/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f66/cz-range-report-18985/

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

This is the point where we all tell you our personal favorites; however, they are OUR personal favorites. I'm a pretty experienced pistol person and I don't shoot Glocks for spit. The grip angle and the finger grooves do not work for me at all. Other folks find Glocks to be the perfect gun for them. My best advice is to try out as many as possible and get what works for you.

The odds are you will end up with more than one anyway as finding what's right is usually trial and error...

11. ejewels

ejewels New Member

thanks for the responses. No one really answered this... are HK's considered "higher quality" as in a Mercedes to a Honda? I'm trying to figure out why they are more expensive...

12. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I suppose that's a good analogy. The question is whether they are worth the cost to you...

13. ejewels

ejewels New Member

yes indeed. Are they worth it? I remember looking at the compact USP and thinking it just looked and felt more sturdy and well-machined. How much can a new HK USP9 be had for? Where I am at, I can get a G19 for 500...

14. NGIB

NGIB New Member

HKs are indeed well made guns and I've owned a couple through the years. Are they worth the premium price - not to me - but they might be to you. The only poly guns I own are XDs and I'm satisfied with them and see no need to pay hundreds more just to have an HK...

15. User Name

User Name New Member

I would say and HK is definatly a "high quality" poly gun. I think I would go for a 1911 for the price though for ME. For a new shooter to handguns, the HK would be better than a 1911. Reason being, a HK and most poly guns are "safe action" they are ready to go and safe at the same time. Every gun is different with the mechanism for this but most if not all (I think all) poly guns are safe action. 1911's are "safe" OR "action" if its ready to go, it is very easy to acidentally shoot it while carrying it. So if you have the money I would go for the HK. If not look at a Glock, Springfield XD, Berretta px4, Smith and Wesson M&P, and some CZ's are all good guns in the 5-600 dollar range. I love my Glock but they are not for everybody. If you want to spend even less money 3-400 range, then a Smith and Wesson Sigma is probably the best way to go.

16. Jess

Jess New Member

HKs also have this terrific feature of being rendered inoperable with a turn of a key thing. If I could have swung the cost I would have loved that feature given that I have young kids (even though we follow super safe firearm practices)

17. utf59

utf59 New Member

Most of the HKs I've ever handled have been DA/SA. They also usually have both a decocker and a safety on the same switch, which allows them to be carried in condition 1. I don't know about the USPs, but when I was looking into buying an HK45 (bought a Glock instead), they had a number of variants available (from the factory).

This brings us to another question. Do you prefer the more-or-less DAO setup of Glocks and XDs? The SAO setup of 1911s? A true DAO? Or a DA/SA? That could narrow your choices considerably.

In my experience, HKs are very accurate. They are also bigger than other guns with similar magazine capacity.

Shoot as many as you can. Handle as many as you can. Get the one you like best.

18. ejewels

ejewels New Member

Actually, I've only shot glocks, so I'm not too familiar with the DA/SA. Does this mean when you release the slide and put one in the chamber, that the first trigger pull is DA, and the shots after are SA?

19. NGIB

NGIB New Member

That is correct...

20. utf59

utf59 New Member

If the safety is off when you rack the slide, the hammer will stay back so that even the first shot is single action. If you use the decocker, it safely drops the hammer, making the first shot double action.

Some people like that setup because the extra-long pull on the first shot acts as a safety measure. Others dislike it because you need to learn two trigger pulls on one gun.

If you're going to use a DA/SA gun for the range only, it might as well be single action because you won't need to use the decocker.

On most DA/SA guns, the decocker is also the safety. If you leave it down after decocking the hammer, the safety is on and the gun won't fire. If you flip it back up after decocking, the gun will fire the first round double action. When I referred to HK setups earlier, I mentioned that at least some (maybe all, for all I know) have a lever that acts as a decocker and/or a safety. If you push it down, it decocks the hammer like any other DA/SA gun. If you push it up instead, the safety is on with the hammer back (condition 1). So you have the choice of carrying "cocked and locked," as one would carry a 1911.