First hand gun purchase is closing in...

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by getem2011, Aug 31, 2011.

1. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

Hello all, I am new to the site and have a minute before I have to go to work so Ill make this quick. I am thinking of purchasing my first handgun and would like some suggestions. something that is cheap to shoot and and reliable. Ill be back to fill in more details. thanks for all your help!

Getem

2. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Should fit you...try several...maybe .22lr, maybe SD caliber.

Gotta go!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011

3. NOVA

NOVA New Member

When you get back fom work and have some spare time, why don't you introduce yourself and tell us a little more what you will use the gun for.
    Self or Home Defense. Range toy?

4. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Is it for range shooting?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using FirearmsTalk

5. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

sorry about that last post I was in quite a rush, Im Kevin, 22 years old, live in IL and debating on what to buy for my first pistol.This gun will not be used for self defense just used for planking and target practice. I would like it to be almost full size (as I have large hands) and probably a 22lr so I can afford to shoot a lot. I have thought about getting either the sig mosquito or a p22...I am a bit concerned about the mosquito as I have read quite a bit about its FTE and FTF issues.I am still very open to other suggestions so any advice from experienced pistol shooters or collectors is much appreciated.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome to the FTF community.

If you want a full size .22 pistol, take a look at Ruger and Browning pistols. If you have a large budget, you can find some really nice old Colt pistols.

A .22 is a great pistol to learn on.

7. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I also need to specify that my budget is $250-450 max as it is my first.
    Also please post any good sites that you think may help me in my quest of searching.

thanks again.

8. charliegirl

charliegirl New Member

I have heard (through my own posts) the very same thing you just said. I will add that a very knowledgeable member brought to my attention and now will bring to yours if you don't know... the Ruger .22 is a headache to clean. The Browning is easier. Just something to keep in the back of your head!

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

10. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

thanks canebrake, but it says on the site it is not legal for sale to residents of IL, what do u think about the Sig Sauer 1911- 22LR? And other ideas are appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  11. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

12. utf59

utf59 New Member

Well, my first suggestion is to move out of Illinois. ;)

I have a Mosquito, and I have had problems with it. A friend at work has one, and his has been great. But if you have large hands, it is a smallish gun, even if you find one you know is reliable. The Walther P22 is even smaller.

Rugers and Buckmarks are great guns. They are very reliable, they're easy to find, and there are plenty of after-market parts available, especially for the Rugers.

There are a number of .22 models available that are functional replicas of other guns. The GSG 1911 that Cane mentioned, the Mosquito, etc. — I think I read recently that S&W is coming out (or has already) with an M&P in .22. They are built so that people can get more practice time with something that has the same controls/control placement as their full-size, larger-caliber gun. If you are thinking of picking up a larger gun later, this might appeal to you. If you do go this route, though, I recommend that you be very sure of which platform you will want later (i.e., 1911, DA/SA Sig, etc.). Because if you change platforms, you will have defeated the purpose of having that particular .22.

If you don't want a bigger gun later, or if you don't know which one you might want, I suggest you stick with a Ruger or Buckmark.

13. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

now what would you suggest a singe or double action? Please correct me if I am wrong, a single action begins with pulling back the hammer for only the first round and will continue to fire. While the double action is a heavy trigger pull but does not require you to pull back the hammer for the first shot of a clip.

I am quite interested in the 1911's specifically GSG or the sig.

14. dallascj

dallascj New Member

I don't agree with this as there are a great many things to learn with any handgun for an inexperienced shooter. Sight alignment, breathing, and most importantly, trigger control. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the firearms mentioned. You might want to look into revolvers, as well, and I would definitely recommend double-action no matter which way you go as it will help more with trigger control.

BTW, single and double-actions refer to the cocking and firing strokes of the firearm. Single-action means it fires the firearm only, so you have to pull the hammer back (cock the firearm) for each shot and double-action will cock and fire the gun.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Try to find a nice, used 22LR with a 7" bull barrel.

IMO, a really great first pistol for the range.

16. DougB

DougB New Member

Don't get concerned about reassembling a Ruger. I can have my Ruger reassembled in less than a minute. Practice will make near perfect and the Ruger is a fine, reliable handgun. I have owned mine nearly thirty years and have shot the snot out of it. It still proves reliable and when I purchased it, affordable. Ruger really stands behind its customer purchases with great customer service as well.

I'd go Ruger, and with a bull barrel. Watch for a clean used sidearm and it will last a looooooooong time!

Enjoy!

17. utf59

utf59 New Member

Maybe I was unclear. Many people get a particular .22 because it is a small-caliber clone of a gun they already have (or anticipate getting) and they want commonality of controls. For instance, if you have a nice 1911 in .45, you might pick up a GSG 1911. Both are single action, the safeties work the same, the grip angle is the same, etc. If you get the GSG 1911 first, then change your mind about getting the full-size version, you haven't achieved your goal of commonality of operation.

Of course they all are good platforms for learning and practicing the fundamentals of marksmanship. I was trying to make the point that if you aren't necessarily trying to make a .22 emulate a particular model/style of higher-caliber pistol, a Ruger or Buckmark is a great all-around choice. They are good platforms for learning and practicing marksmanship, they are widely available — new and used — and there is an incredible number of after-market parts for them.

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

When I bought my first firearm, I wanted to be able to protect my home from the very first moment. So I bought a shotgun. I would suggest that before any plinking you find the money to purchase a shotgun for your home.

I don't know the stupid Illinois rules, though.

Then, once that is done, you should as quickly as possible purchase both a self-defense caliber handgun AND a .22lr pistol, which is great fun and good for practicing skills.

Since I think the .45 1911 is a really good choice for home protection, getting a 1911 in .22lr is a really good option. Any good practice with it will be able to transfer to your .45acp in the same platform (1911).

It is too bad that your state doesn't allow the GSG1911.

19. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

20. getem2011

getem2011 New Member

I for sure do not want a SA and would prefer a semi over a DA. I want a 1911 for a couple of reasons...size,style, and the fact I would like to eventually purchase a 1911 in .45.

I do have other prospects tho, compare and contrast if you all could and what specific model would be best. Also I want to shy away from those with major FTF's and FTE's problems.

S&W MP22
    Walther p22
    some type of 1911