First gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by rookie713, Sep 13, 2012.

1. rookie713

rookie713 New Member

Just brought my first gun it a GSG 1911 22lr. Anyone know a good ammo for it I've heard cci blazer and what about dry firing??? I heard that dry firing can't and can mess up you gun that I've heard of some tricks to use plastic screws from home depot as a snap cap.

2. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

image-3471161980.jpg

Congrats on your new gun!!
    CCI typically works well i everything, but your gun may like Remington or hornady, just experiment, 22lr is so cheap you wont ever run out of ammo

3. rookie713

rookie713 New Member

Ok thank experimenting isn't a problem

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Don't dry fire a rimfire. Period.

I have this gun and have mixed feelings about it. You should probably upgrade to a stainless guide rod ASAP to avoid a major break down. It'll shoot CCI mini-mags, and does quite well with most of the premium 50-100rd packed 22lr rounds from CCI and Winchester...including the really fast stuff. Mine has some minor issues with bulk 22lr, but nothing too bad. It'll handle most it.

Shoot the snot out of it, upgrade that guide rod, and make your next purchase a 'big boy' 1911 in 45acp.

5. rookie713

rookie713 New Member

Thanks for that in put will do with the 45

6. rookie713

rookie713 New Member

New Gun picking it up next week

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have one just like you picture. So far it has eaten Federal in the 550 round bulk pack, Blazer in the 1000 round brick and some loose, old 22lr I bought 20+ years ago.

I still have the factory guide rod, too. No problems so far.

You made a great choice.

8. rookie713

rookie713 New Member

Thanks I've heard nothing but good reviews on it and I was set on the S&W M&P 9mm but I had the 1911 in my hands it felt great

9. Aperez

Aperez New Member

Try the Winchester 22lr they work awesome for me. And try not to dry fire with a rim fire firearm they sometimes tend to peen over metal and make extraction a pain in the butt. Congrats on the new gun buddy. : )

10. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have the GSG 22, got one of the first when they shipped. No issues to date w/~3K rounds down range. It eats most everything I feed it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have made some changes to the gun. I removed the magazine safety which brings the gun closer the the 1911 pattern. The one weak spot of the GSG is its cast guide rod. I replaced it with a machined steel rod from CWA and can say it's worth every penny of the $22 price tag.

CW Accessories

Like sweeper said, shoot the snot out of it and enjoy your 1911.

11. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Sorry for the newb question.
    But what is a mag safety?

12. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

A gun equipped with a magazine safety means that it has a safety function to prevent the weapon from being fired when the magazine is not inserted and fully seated,regardless of whether there is still a round chambered.

This type of safety was designed with law enforcement in mind so that if the officer found himself in a scuffle and feared his gun may be taken from him, he could drop the magazine and take the gun out of the fight if I remember correctly.

13. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Thanks good to know.

14. gollygee

gollygee New Member

There are .22 snap caps available if you like. Only ones I've seen are plastic so they don't last long & could get expensive if you do much of it. Plus, not as much fun as shooting at the range. :)

One reason I bought my GSG1911-22 is it had a rep of shooting the really cheap bulk ammo & mine did well with the Federal Bulk ammo, but you will get quite a few duds. Also, they have some kind of wax coating on them that will build up in the chamber & cause failures to go to battery. Just need to take extra care to clean the chamber.

A little better quality ammo, but not as expensive as the Mini Mags, is Blazer in the 500 round box & that is what I shoot the most now. One that I intend trying because it is supposed to be much cleaner is Winchester M22. But have only found it in 1000 round bulk pack at Wally World & I don't want to buy that much until I know it'll cycle in my wife's Bersa .22.

P.S. The earlier GSG .22s had a problem with the barrel bushing & they came out with an improved one to replace it. Might be a good idea to call ATI with your S/N to be sure if it has the upgraded bushing. If not, they'll send you one.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  15. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I personally know of 4 shooters with GSGs. Two of them saw guide rods break in half, and one a barrel bushing break in half...all within about 500rds from new. I believe the bushing may have been a result of the barrel's thread cap coming loose. The guide rods were due 100% to that part being a severely cheap POS, and it's afflicted a ton of owners.

This gun does have some weak points. Very weak in fact. But if you know what you're getting into, you can circumvent most of the issues for under $40 and end up with a very solid range toy.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  16. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

I own one. Had my barrel bushing break after about 1500 rounds. Called ati and they sent a replacement in a week. The replacement was much better.

17. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

Why dry fire a 22 when it costs .03 to fire it? I think it would take a lot of dry firing a 22 to cause peening. I dry fire my 10/22 every time I empty the mag and it runs great.

18. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Would be a good for practicing trigger control, etc between trips to the range, assuming illegal to shoot it at home. Dry firing once during a function test may be required after cleaning, but I agree that, that shouldn't be enough to cause damage.