first gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by dfrizzell, Nov 26, 2011.

1. dfrizzell

dfrizzell New Member

I am looking to buy my first gun. I am looking at the sw40ve. Is it a good Guy or any other suggestions.

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

I have the SW40V pretty much the same thing, I would say that it does what it was made to do, shoot. I would recomend that you get something with other safeties than just the trigger safety for your first gun. But if you want to buy it the main problem with it is the 12lb trigger. It is cheap and does what it is designed to do. There is nothing wrong with it, there are better guns to choose from but it works. Also please stop by the introductions section and tell us a bit about yourself. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/

3. dfrizzell

dfrizzell New Member

I have a shoot gun. I am looking to get my ccw. I am looking for a low priced but good all aroung gun.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

welcome to the forum! stop over in the introductions section and say hello and tell us a little about yourself.

i am not as familiar with the Sigma line of Smith-Wesson pistols, but usually their pistols are pretty well made. i have handled the M-P series of theirs, and like them a lot. might want to check them out too.

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Quite a reliable gun, not a great trigger. Often can be found at prices that make it a relative bargain (under $300).

If it's any more than $300, that's too much to pay for a Sigma IMO. I think the Ruger SR9 (or SR40) is a far better gun and more concealable (since you mention carry). The Ruger SR series pistols can be found for under $400. Just my opinion. I've shot each of these guns but have never owned either.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have two older Sigma series pistols, a 40 and a 9. The triggers are acceptable. The newer "VE" series of Sigmas have the most God awful triggers S&W has ever produced.

The Sigmas feel good in the hand and WORK. Many people are very dissatisfied with the triggers and lose respect for S&W as a result. The M&P series are more expensive, IMHO worth every penny.

7. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I have a Sigma. It was a gift. I would not be afraid to defend myself with it. I have no doubt that it would do the job. That said...I never carry it. I have a bunch of guns. Almost all of them are better shooters.