First Gun

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by LSUtigers07champs, Feb 11, 2009.

1. LSUtigers07champs

LSUtigers07champs New Member

I'm in the market for a a handgun, this would be my first purchase, i really just want a good reliable gun that i can use for protection as well as leisure shooting. looking for some advice......thanks

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the Forum -

How about giving the guys some information about you and your firearms experience?

It's easy to say "Buy X Brand, Shoot it all the time" but it might not be right for you if you have small hands, no experience with handguns or are completely new to the sport altogther.

JD

3. LSUtigers07champs

I hunt alot so most of my experience is with rifles/shotguns, but i've been shooting handguns with friends alot recently, so I guess you could say that I am pretty new to the sport, and ive got pretty big hands

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

1911 LW Commander chambered in 45 ACP.

[​IMG]

Of course a [​IMG][​IMG]

5. LSUtigers07champs

I hunt alot so most of my experience is with rifles/shotguns, but i've been shooting handguns with friends alot recently, so I guess you could say that I am pretty new to the sport, and ive got pretty big hands

6. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Dang, canebrake I think you just made up my mind for me. I think that Colt 1911 might just be my next firearm purchase, although, I want adjustable rear sights.

I almost bought a XD because of the price, twice. Talked myself out of the purchase and now I'm glad I did. I shot a Gold Cup once and it was incredible.

7. kdog

kdog New Member

Aas mentioned in other threads, I`d go for a CZ75 either in 9mm Luger/Para (cheaper ammo) or .40 S&W

[​IMG]

Also very popular here in germany whith hunters.

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Problem with the Au cup is it only comes in Government 5" steel.

Colt's Manufacturing Company, Inc.

Get the LW Commander and ask JD for the sights he's taking off his NH. He, like me, have no use for adjustable sights on the 1911. (for what we use them for)

[​IMG] JD's 460 Rowland donor gun is a Kimber, I throw myself to the mercy of the Night Hawk Gods!!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  9. Quis custodiet

Quis custodiet New Member

There is no handgun more reliable than a .38/.357 revolver.

Smith & Wesson or Ruger. Pick your barrel length; 4" barrel for all-around use, 6" for targets or hunting.

Revolvers aren't just more reliable. They are also easier to fit your hand, due to the many styles of replacement grips.

Comfort, reliability, and usually cheaper than semi-automatics. You should definitely consider a revolver before making your choice. - Q.C.

10. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am SOOOOO kicking your ass in this build. Your jealousy is dripping into a puddle and might short out that computer you are using. :p

My beautiful Nighthawks all have fixed sights, the way a 1911 was meant to be built....

JD

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Jealousy? Does this sound like jealousy?

The Fenrir Wolf
    [​IMG]

A creature of Norse Mythology. The offspring of the Loki, the God of Mischief. Fenrir is depicted in the legend as a giant wolf with massive fangs, sharp claws and carries his fathers taste for destruction.

This is research in the quest of the 1911 HOLY GRAIL!

Canebrake's FENRIR 460 Rowland

185gr 1500+ ft/sec 1/2 ton energy release!

What's Boolan?? Isn't that some female math teachers homework?

I'm shakin' here!

[​IMG]

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So easy, a child can do it. :rolleyes:

Attached Files: