First gun you ever shot?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Kabraxis, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Kabraxis

Kabraxis New Member

For me we had a friend in the family that collected WW guns. im not exactly sure what it was he handed me when we went shooting ( i was like 8 ) but it didn't feel very strong. it was a muzzle load is all i remember. went out shooting some cans.

When i really got interested in shooting (16?) my cousins husband and I went out to get some deer down in Florida, he brought his brand new gun that he just got a week before for his birthday. we'll we never found a deer, just some doe. and i was really looking forward to shooting it, so he let me give it a go. a nice .50 caliber muzzle load. He maxed it out with black powder and my shoulder never felt better. i was hooked. that poor tree never saw it coming...
    I cannot for the life of me remember that the gun was, next time i talk to him i will ask and post it up.

Just curious what your first gun and experience was

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I think it was camping with friends in AZ up on the Moggollon Rim. Friend brought along a Marlin 60. We spent quite a bit of that weekend going thru a few bricks. I bought my first gun shortly thereafter.

3. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

8 Gauge at 10 years old. Uncle caught the gun when my scrawny butt went sailing. NOT a fun day. Of course, they all laughed.

4. Kabraxis

Kabraxis New Member

They all laughed and now i'm laughing. That's great stuff

5. Kabraxis

Kabraxis New Member

Nice, what did you end up buying?

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

first guns

i was about 7 or 8, my dad use to go to the shooting ranges around Houston, Texas, and he would shoot his 243 and 270, and he let me shoot the Browning semi-auto 22. i loved that rifle, and he still has it and the Winchester M70 243 to this day. when i got about 10 or 11, he started letting me shoot the 243. i miss those days, and enjoy when my father comes over to the house and we target shoot with our pistols. my dad is almost seventy, and he is still a decent shooter with those Dan Wesson 357 magnums!

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

My first was a SKS at 14.... No special experience, just out plinking..

8. MyWorld

MyWorld New Member

At 17 I shot a hi-point 9mm. Me and my brother was out at the range. It was my brothers gun. It was fun

9. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

If I remember right, I was 6 or 7 and it was my Grandfathers Winchester model 90 .22LR. That would mean my sister was 5 or 6 when she shot her first gun.

First shotgun, a 20 gauge single shot. Lifted my front foot off the ground, and I was leaning into it!!

10. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

The first gun I purchased was a S&W 411 .40. Traded that in a while back on my XDm 40.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I use to go squirrel hunting with my dad when I was 5. He would kneel and aim, and I would stand behind him and pull the trigger :D It was a Sears Roebuck bolt action single shot .22, iron sites, and it was extremely accurate. I had that rifle for 25 years. Loved it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  12. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Rimfire rifle - Belgium Browning SA22
    Centerfire rifle - Marlin 336 .35 Rem
    Rimfire pistol - Ruger Single Six
    Centerfire pistol - Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine
    Shotgun - Stevens single shot 16 gauge

13. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

When I was about 15 or so, my older brothers Marlin 336 in 35 Rem.

14. Kabraxis

Kabraxis New Member

so i asked what the gun was and it was a Thompson center black powder .50

15. Johnny357

Johnny357 New Member

When I was 12 I went camping in some private woods with a group of friends and their fathers. One of the dads brought a little .22 revolver, and we took turns blasting away at cans.

16. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Good ol' marlin 22lr. Sitting in my dads lap plinking away at soda cans and milk jugs when i was 3 or 4 years old.

17. ahole

ahole New Member

My first gun i ever shot I was 5. My dad handed me a Stevens 22 bolt hand pull cock. give me a few days ill post a pick i still have gun. This was my first gun to own and shoot. every one in my family got there first gun at age 5. all where 22 bolt. I have slain many a squirrel with that gun. my son is 4 now and next summer when he turns 5 i will find him a 22 single bolt gun.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

The single shot, pull cock, bolt-action .22 in the very back of my gun safe, when i got it for Christmas at age 6.

19. Kabraxis

Kabraxis New Member

loving the stories :)

20. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I did not have the advantage of a shooting dad. The 1st gun I fired was the M1 Carbine when I was 18 and in the AF. That was 53 years and a lot guns ago. My kids shot their 1st time at 5.