First gun suggestions

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by D2h6r89, Jun 13, 2011.

1. D2h6r89

D2h6r89 New Member

Hi, I am new here. I am interested in purchasing my first handgun this week. I want to purchase it for self defense and recreation. I don't think I am looking for a revolver, I'd prefer an automatic. As far as caliber, I was thinking 9mm. Glock was one of the brands I was considering, however I am open to suggestions.

Thanks

2. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

You have so many factors that have to be taken into consideration here. Size of hand, CCW?, used for specifically, size of person, when you will be carrying it, cost of ammunition....so on and so on. You will have many people say "this gun is the best, that gun is the best", but honestly, it has to fit YOU and no one can answer that for you. IMO, you should go to the range, rent some guns to shoot and see which one makes you happy.

Personally, I hate Glock, some love them, so again, its all up to the particular individual.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Welcome to the forum.

Most people will tell you which guns they like, but the best way to find one you will like & that fits you well is to find some ranges that rent guns for you to test drive or to find some friends with some of the models you might be interested in.

I have a CZ-75b 9mm that i have been very happy with as a all-metal, soft-recoil target pistol. People say they are a bit heavy for concealed carrying. Magazines are available that hold 15, 17, and 20 rounds (i bleve).

I also have a XD45 in .45ACP that i really enjoy shooting, but the ammo costs a lil bit more. It is a plastic-framed pistol that holds 13 rounds and is a bit bulky for concealed carry.

What kind of price range are you thinking on?

4. D2h6r89

D2h6r89 New Member

5'10", athletic build. medium sized hands.
    I don't plan to carry it around much, its for home defense, and for when I take it to the range.

Something that a beginner can handle and learn relatively quickly.

I am looking to spend between $300 and $400 dollars. I can go a bit higher but that range would be ideal

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Sounds like the softer recoil of a steel-framed pistol would be a factor with few negatives. Look at a CZ-75b at the range. If you want to pick up something less expensive, you might consider one of the used smith & wesson 5906 police trade ins (CDNN has some online, as do other places). Smith & Wesson Model 5906 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ $300 back page of their catalog.

Ruger made some nice semi-autos in that range (the Pseries http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_P_series ), but i think your money would go much further on a lightly used pistol, if you can find a trustworthy seller.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  6. General_lee

General_lee New Member

If you could go up to $500 that would open up the possibilities greatly.

Stay away from cheap guns like Cobra, Hi Point or Jennings/Jimenez, stick with a reputable manufacturer like Springfield, Glock, Smith & Wesson, CZ, Beretta, etc..

Best advice I can give you is go out to a gun store and put 'em in your hand.

7. D2h6r89

D2h6r89 New Member

I'm pretty sure I want a 9mm, and a friend of mine has a CZ75 (i think). Its definitely a Czech pistol

8. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

I personally like the XD by springfield. You can get them under 500 NIB. Give that a feel.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Per your description, this gun is tough to beat: S&W 5906 $359

There are deals to be had on Glocks and XDs for under $500, but getting under $400 can be tough. If you're determined to stay under $400, give some of the offerings from Bersa and Ruger a look.

I recommend visiting Bud's Gun Shop and just browsing around the pistol section so you know what your options are and have an idea where a competitive price falls on the guns you're interested in.

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Indeed. The same advice if you were buying your wife breast implants...you gotta feel and hold 'em with your hands to see how they fit and feel! ;)

A S&W M&P 9mm without the mag safety, would be very similar to that XD, a very good performer and in that same price range, or a bit under, as well. :cool:

11. Cory2

Cory2 New Member

I'm going to reiterate what others have said, go to a gun store handle a whole bunch of different guns, keep handling different ones until they make you leave ;), Then go to the range and see if you can rent some of the ones you thought felt best to you. Then if you should have the field narrowed quite a bit.

Also, there are great guns out there, but that doesn't mean they are the right gun for you. Some people love xd's and they are good guns, some people like glocks, they are also good guns. Some people like 1911s and they are good guns as well. But none of that matters if they dont fit you. So most importantly above all else make sure the gun is comfortable to you.

12. Jay

Jay New Member

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

13. 9mmgun

9mmgun New Member

Take a ride up to "Tanners" & check out the 9MM Stoeger (Beretta) Cougar 8000. If it fits your hand, it's one of the best values available. ($369NIB). They also have the EAA Witness Classic 9MM NIB for $299. (CZ75B Clone).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

For the money the Ruger P-95 is hard to beat. But you need to feel one in your hand. It is a double stack magazine. The have a pretty wide grip. People with not so big hands sometimes have trouble.

15. mcfroggin

mcfroggin New Member

According to Glock owners, you can waste your time trying as many guns as you wish........just to purchase a Glock in the end anyway.

16. Jay

Jay New Member

Just consider the source. Holler when Glock has been making the same platform for 100 years. :rolleyes:

17. utf59

utf59 New Member

To know what you might like, handle, and if possible shoot, as many as you can.

To know what one is worth, start with Bud's online and gunbroker.com. On gunbroker, just pay attention to what guns are actually selling for. And look for a forum like this one but more specific to your region. They usually have a buy/sell/trade section, and that will give you an idea what things are going for in your area.

I think you've picked a great caliber for your stated goals.

Happy shopping!

18. Quentin

Quentin New Member

9mm semiauto... man there are so many good choices. If you're serious about staying at or under $400 you'll probably need to buy used and there are lots of good choices. Nothing wrong with old school like a BHP or CZ or even a S&W 59 but it's probably smart to kick in a little more and buy something new.

You originally said Glock so check out the new Gen4 G19. Without a backplate it feels real good in my hands and I'm 5'9" with medium size hands like you. You can add a medium or large backplate (included with the gun) if you want a larger grip. They tend to go for $500 or a little more but do come with three magazines where many other guns come with two so that saves you about $30 right there.

I just bought the 23Gen4, the 40S&W twin to the 19Gen4 and can't say enough about how good it is. And I'm an old school guy.

Here's a 23Gen4 by hickok45 if you want to see what one looks like, same-same except for caliber
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DEzXbBJws]YouTube - ‪Glock 23 Gen 4‬‏[/ame]

19. jwade00

jwade00 New Member

Man honestly just get out there and shoot. IMO you cant go wrong in any fashion with a glock or smith and wesson. also, i would get out and shoot a lot before you go buy one for any type of use. my brother plays an online game and shoots all kinds of guns on there professionally, took him to the range, shot one real bullet set it down and refuses to pick up another one. its just all in the person.

for home use id get a 380 or 9mm. simply because i would trust that not to go through the house and risk hitting someone on the outside. thats just my .02

20. canebrake

canebrake New Member

At some point the time comes to shoot the engineers and start the project.

This thread is getting long in the tooth.