First Gun Purchase

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jscorGA, Dec 12, 2011.

1. jscorGA

jscorGA New Member

I am new to the gun purchasing game and want to join my friends by owning a rifle that is flexible for both deer(mostly) and rabbit/varmints (.243 or 270 win?). I can spend up to $850-900 and I also want to make sure I am buying a rifle that will hold a fair amount of its value. Of all the manufacturers and their models:
    Beretta Tikka T3
    T/C Icon or Venture
    Remm 700
    Ruger M77
    Browning X-bolt
    Win Model 70
    Any others(?)
    I understand that many of these guns will serve me well and it is more the shooter than his weapon, but my question is which of these would represent a quality/reliable rifle and a good investment?
    and if any, is there anything that is a ripoff and should be avoided?

2. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

I think all of those you mentioned are good quality rifles... I personally like Remington (always have) I own 3 diff. Remington mod 700 and never had problems with them I love that action!

3. Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776 New Member

The Remington 700 is an amazing gun that you can buy and build up as you go.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Personally, I would take the .270 in either the Browning or Win 70 if I had to choose from what you have on your list. They are all fine choices and you really can't go wrong. I think the Browning would have the most retained value though if you are buying with thoughts of possibly selling in the future.

5. rugernut

rugernut New Member

The ruger m77 is the most reliable you will ever get because Theav got a mouser tipe extractor and there going to be rilly accurate gun the ruger gunsit scout rifle takes a magazine 5 to a 10 round but if your lookin for a real accurate the savage is probly the best well thats my opinion

6. rugernut

rugernut New Member

And ruger and savage hold there value.

7. rugernut

rugernut New Member

And they both hold there value

8. rugernut

rugernut New Member

Sorry I did that twice phone messed up

9. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The calibers you mentioned both 243 and 270 are good calibers. Not that the 243 can not take down a deer because it sure can. But good shot placement is necessary. I also like the 243 caliber for varmints and predators. The 270 is an excellent deer rifle and medium sized game! And you can hunt varmints and predators with it with light weight bullets, but they are more expensive than the 243. The rifle you mentioned are all good rifles. Of course about any rifle will fairly retain its value if you take care of them. There are a lot of good rifles. The Tika, TC, and Remington are great rifles. Also there are others like Howa, CZ and of course SAKO. Oh certainly do not rule out the Savage rifles. I like Remington and SAKO myself and have great luck with them. My favorite older varmint rifle is a 243 SAKO Forester Varmint Model and my main hunting rifle is a Remington CDL 7mm Rem. Mag. I also have a 700 ADL in 243 and a 740 in 30-06. I do like my Remingtons. But stay with the 700 Models! If you go with Remington.
    Good luck on your selection.

10. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Another good rifle is the marlin x7. Ya they are usually around $320ish new but that is ALL that is cheap on them. No they arent very pretty to most folks but they are tack drivers. All the others you have mentiond are great guns also though. The t/c single shots open up all sorts of other caliber choices also.

God didnt make all men equal colonel sam colt did

11. DTC323

DTC323 New Member

Personally the browning will prolly hold it's value the most but us still a great gun. A gun that will be a little cheaper in price but an amazing gun would be a weatherby. I have two one in a .270 and a Sub-MOA .308 and they are very accurate and very dependable. But browning, weatherby, remmington, Winchester and savage are awesome guns.

12. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

I wouldn't recommend hunting rabbits with any of the above-mentioned calibers. But for deer my choice would be the REM 700 in 270 win. Very flat shooting cal with an accuracy potential clambering setting on an action that is known for its accuracy. Plus sky is the limit with respect to upgrades, I think everyone makes an after market part for that rifle. Resale value will prolly be fair but the rifle doesn't cost that much to start so what can you expect?

Good luck with your gun hunt.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

13. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

I couldn't have put that any better...

Attached Files:

14. 44ablast

44ablast New Member

No question about it the remington model 700! I got one in 300rum,and one in 30-06 .your best bet is to go to your local gun dealer and try them on for size and fit . You ain't going to go wrong with eather of those models.good luck on your venture and let us know witch one you choose

15. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

+1 on the Remington.