first gun please help.

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by HomieDontUKnowMe, Oct 3, 2010.

1. HomieDontUKnowMe

HomieDontUKnowMe New Member

I am turning 21 on oct 23 so i will be able to buy my very first gun! andi am so excited, i know nothing about guns really. out of the hand guns ive seen i got to say revolvers are the ones that catch my eye and just have that amazing look to them, im shooting for 9mm revolver something good easy to take apart and clean. Im looking to spend in the range of $500 to $600, Can someone link me some good revolvers or tell me the name of some good revolvers in that price range that would be a good beginner gun. thanks alot for reading my thread and for helping a beginner to the hobby of guns!

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

First, welcome to FTF. If you have not done so, please stop by the intro thread and say hello.

For a start, the 9mm Parabellum is basically a semi auto pistol cartridge, not a revolver cartridge. There HAVE been 9mm revolvers- expensive, not popular, and not always working that well.

For a first firearm, I am going to suggest something other than a handgun- a .22 rifle. Shop carefully, look thru the used racks at the local gun shop, ask for advice, and you may find a good rifle for $100 or so. Learn to use it safely and effectively- and .22 ammo is cheap enough that you will shoot a lot more.

After learning the rifle, try a .22 pistol. I am partial to Rugers, but there ae other good ones out there- Brownig Buckmarks, Hi-Standrds, Colts, S&Ws, etc. Again, learn to use it safely and effectively. $200 or so may get you a good used one.

THEN start shopping for a revolver you might like.

3. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

the only advice I can give you is to buy two guns, not one.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

22 pistol be a good trainer too. Dirt cheap ammo and they'll usually run forever with little cleaning. Pistols like the [Browning] Buckmark or [Ruger]MK II or MKIII are reliable and can be had under 300 bucks new.

If you're set on a 9mm I'm no fan of the 9mm revolvers for reasons already stated. I'd go with some type semi auto. If you really want a revolver then maybe a 38 spl. or even better a 357 and you can use 38's and 357's.

Buds Gun Shop is a good place to look and get an idea on prices.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Buying 2 guns at first isn't a bad idea. A .22 pistol is a great start and then a 12-gauge shotgun for home defense until you add a more powerful caliber to your handgun mix. And even then the 12-ga would be a great go-to firearm if a BG breaks into your home.

Cane's idea of the GSG, and then also a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870, and you could have a very solid start in firearms for around $600.

7. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Cane, is your GSG modded? Does it really come with that beavertail standard? Your photos make me want to buy one tomorrow.

8. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

If I had two guns it would be a 4" .357 revolver and an AR15

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

Maverick 31023 88 12 18.5 CYL 6RD $212.00 SHIPS FREE

That mini-Mossy plus the GSG $212 + 325 = $537, down here in Florida thats about one month's worth of house insurance!

Chris, I haven't done anything to the GSG other than shoot and clean her! This is what you get: (plus the case)

[​IMG]

10. Flat Tire

Flat Tire New Member

I think the key to it is just take your time. Become a prowler at your local pawn shops. Keep your eye out in the paper. Make a friend of the gun salesman in your town. Pick them up and handle them. Look at a lot of guns and find the ones that you really want. I love my smith revolvers, they just fit my hands so well.

11. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Getting back to your original premise. You're going to buy a handgun, and you want a revolver. One of your first two guns will be a .22. I can pretty well guarantee that. So do you want your first gun to be a .22, or do you want a "major" caliber.

If you are going to go for a major caliber, the revolver is perfectly suited for the most flexible caliber out there... the .357. You can shoot inexpensive .38 loads. Or you can shoot one of the best designed man-stoppers around, .357 magnum rounds. A 9mm revolver is niche, the .357 is the standard. Go with the standard.

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I already have the .357 revolver and through reading on here, I now want a AR15. I agree with Flat Tire's statement. If I can get me an AR15, I believe my gun shopping days would be over. Well....okay.....maybe a .22 revolver for some cheap target shooting. THEN I'd be done gun shopping.

This is the gun I have, except in 6" barrel. I think it is a very good first gun for all the reasons mentioned by Gary. For now it is my first and only gun and was recommended to me by a pretty knowledgeable gun person. Go to a gun shop and look at one. Fun range gun, excellent self defense gun, easy to see if it's empty. Great all around first gun for a newbie like me!! If I never buy another gun I could be happy with my Ruger GP100 for many different reasons.

13. ElvisIsDead

ElvisIsDead New Member

Originally Posted by KWGaryM
    If you like revolvers I would go with a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. It is a perfect all around handgun. It is easy to shoot. You can shoot both .38's and .357's from it. Ruger is the most solid built revolver out there. If you take care of it a Ruger revolver will be around long after all of us are not. They can be bought around $500 and will last a lifetime.

Very good choice of revolver in either 4" or 6" barrel. The 4" will be more practical for a carry gun or even out on the trails. The 6" will be more accurate for target shooting. Either will do fine for home defense. Either way you won't go wrong.

14. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

BWAAAAHHHAAAAA !!!! (evil laughter in case you missed it)

SET THE HOOK NOW- WE GOT ANOTHER ONE! :D

You just have not met the 98K Mauser, the Marlin 30-30, the Colt Army single action, the SXS .410 that reaches out and GRABS YOU.

Yer addicted, brother, just like the rest of us- you just have not figured it out. Trust me- 4 Remington 550-1s in the safe, and I figured it out!

15. ScottA

Shoot, I was just telling my wife over the weekend... "Face it... by the time we're old and gray, I'll have as many guns as you have pairs of shoes."

All she could say was "That's a lot of guns."

16. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Here we go again. . . Do the right thing and. . .

BUY YOURSELF A .357 REVOLVER!!!

SMITH OR RUGER!You can practice with .38s for cheap, you can use it for anything from bad guys to bears, it will out live you, it will make oyu VERY happy, etc., etc.

No drawbacks.

This should be a top commandment for gun ownership. :)

17. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I agree with this!

18. ScottA

Maybe if you put the whole thing in bold caps, we'll get the point across.