First Gun 10/22 Takedown: Tips?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by canyon289, Jul 14, 2012.

1. canyon289

canyon289 New Member

I bought my first gun yesterday, a 10/22 takedown. I want to ask for ANY tips you have regarding anything on .22 rifles or guns specifically.

Unfortunately my dad hates firearms so I won't get this talk from him.

Here's what I do know. Don't dry fire rimfire guns, it'll damage the hammer. Other than that, what ammo should I buy (CCI looks like a favorite here), how should I maintain the gun, what upgrades should I get etc.

Also keep the tips CA legal. This state's gun laws suck. I should really say I paid for a 10/22 takedown but it's sitting in a gun shop for 10 days......

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Canyon- first, welcome to the Forum- we're glad you found your way here.

The 10-22 is sort of the Barbie Doll of 22 rifles. The price of a Barbie is quite reasonable. But then you need Barbie clothes, Barbie's car, Barbie's Dream House, and....... well, you get the idea. Good rifle- has more accessories that a Harley Dealership.

CCI makes a very decent 22 cartridge. There are better. Known as Match grade ammo, you will pay a LOT more.

Cleaning and maintenance- first, read the manual. If you do not HAVE the manual, go to the Ruger website and download it. Second, do not over clean it. .22 rimfire IS somewhat dirty, and you will need to clean powder residue from the action- the barrel- not so much.

Dry firing MANY .22s will damage the firing pin or mouth of the chamber. Remember that a .22 is NOT a toy- it has enough power to inflict a fatal wound, and CAN drive a bullet about a mile and a half. Know your target, what is beyond, and keep your bloody finger OUTSIDE the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.

http://thefiringline.com/Misc/safetyrules.html

As you get some specific questions, come on back. DO spend some time reading thru threads that have already been posted on that topic.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012

3. canyon289

canyon289 New Member

I can't buy the BX-25 magazine but I was wondering if there were similarly styled magazines that were limited to ten rounds. I asked because I'm not terribly thrilled with the rectangular rotary magazine, it fits nice and flush but I'm not too pleased with the sharp corners when reloading.

4. vincent

vincent New Member

If I remember correctly, JonM, one of our venerated moderators, just bought the exact same gun. He has some hands on experience with this gun and again...IIRC, he really liked it. If he doesn't show up in this thread, try to PM him and I'm sure he'd be more than willing to give you his 2 cents...:cool:

5. orangello

orangello New Member

Congratulations on the new rifle! Enjoy it safely. Don't take a bunch of people with you the first time you take it plinking, take one or two level-headed, calm friends. Go ahead and use some earplugs and safety glasses, stuff rarely happens when you are ready for it. Those splat-marked targets are worth it.

It is my understanding that CA limits magazine capacity, not quantity; buy several of the ten round mags and look for some kind of mag loader to make it easier to seat the round in the mag without hurting your thumb.

http://www.tech-sights.com/
    An option if you don't like your iron sights.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  6. JonM

JonM Moderator

my 10/22TD likes the cci blazer. my best tip for the takedown is to properly adjust the barrel nut. i adjusted mine by twisting it all the way in then putting the barrel in. twist the nut out until it wont go anymore. take the barrel off give it three or four clicks of twist out then try to reassemble. it shouldnt mate up with the receiver. twist the nut inwards one click at a time until it locks in place tightly.

there is only one speed loader device the butler creek loader. it sorta works. altho it has dented some rounds so badly i had to take apart my bx25s to get the bullets out.

after properly adjusting the barrel nut/ spacer mine returns to zero after multiple sessions of disassembly.

best group shot with mine was with cci blazer 1.5 inches 4 shots 100yds.

you can safely dry fire 10/22s and most ruger 22's that are in stock configuration using stock barrels. some aftermarket barrels will be damaged by dry firing.

7. elfmdl

elfmdl New Member

Don't shoot CCIs 10/22's will shoot anything you put in them good, so you might as well shoot the cheap stuff.

8. canyon289

canyon289 New Member

I appreciate the advice with the basic questions! I'm glad to hear the gun isn't damaged with dry firing. As of now I'm concentrating so hard on shooting I don't count the rounds and end up dry firing after the 10th shot.

Another noob question I have is, why do some guns bolt remain back after the final round in a magazine and some don't? Are there reasons you'd want one or the other?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

Some remain open because its a feature designed into them to aid in loading fresh ammunition. Volquartsen makes a bolt hold open lever that allows you to lock the bolt back then then just pull the charging handle to release. Not really neccessary but its damn convinient and doesnt cost much for the part.

The takedown already comes with an extended mag release . You dont really need anything but extra mags and ammo with the takedown model. Its a steller firearm.

10. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

new rimfire 10-22

Do not dry fire a rimfire or any rifle or hand gun for that matter.BUY SNAP CAPS, THEY MAKE THEM FOR ALL CALIBERS:) Cliff

11. fstkmaro

fstkmaro New Member

I love mine. It shoots well and has gone over 1000rds without cleaning :D

Anyways, it is easy to damage this rifle since it can be broken down and the bag is so convenient that some may get used to throw it around and such. Watch for that. Read the manual, there is little more to add to what is indicated there. Excellent gun if you ask me. I love mine.

jd

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

snap caps in a 22lr WILL damage the firing pin :) and contrary to popular myth most modern 22lr are safe to dry fire

13. canyon289

canyon289 New Member

Now I'm confused, snap caps will damage the firing pin but leaving the chamber empty wont? How hard is it to replace the firing pin if it does get damaged.

I have a question about the gold dot sight. I have a hard time seeing it at the indoor range I go shooting at so I'd like to know if there is something better. I've heard of fiber optic sights, how are those different? Also is it easy to replace the sights?

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

thats because 22lr snap caps have hard metal rims much harder than brass. centerfire caps have a soft plastic insert in the primer pocket. if you want a way to dry fire a 22lr use a spent 22lr case.

all ruger firearms as it comes from the factory have either cutouts like the mk 1-2-3 pistol series for the firing pin or a reccessed space in the chamber that doesnt strike metal. the bolt design prevents the firing pin from going forward too far. im not sure about the sr22.

firing pins on ruger 10/22 are super easy to swap out. just one push pin in the bolt. if you press the firing pin forward taking the pressure off the pin it practically falls out on its own

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

canyon289 The ruger can stand the occational dry fire as the fireing pin does NOT hit the barrel. It happens to all that forget to count rounds. The factory mags are very good and there is a connector to hold 3 of them together -http://www.eabco.com/store/products/TriMag_10_22_Mag_Connector-6-0.html

You may like most buy bulk 22 ammo . Don't expect good results from it. But you may get lucks and be happy with it. Now save your extra dollar for the future 10//2 improvement fund. ha

If you like open sights tech-sights has a peep sight upgrade too. -http://www.tech-sights.com/

Enjoy your ruger and be safe.

16. canyon289

canyon289 New Member

17. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'm just wondering here.....what would really be the need for a takedown model? The one thing I can think of is hiking or camping, but the 10/22 is already a pretty small carbine. Same thing with the Sub 20000. The one I saw, the guy had a bitch of a time getting the mechanism to release & fold. I don't think I'm a fan of folding or disassembling guns.....

18. canyon289

canyon289 New Member

After shooting it I am impressed with it's performance, just as a machine. It's well and simply built and in the hands of much more experienced shooters it hold nice groups. If I were to into hunting small game this gun would be fantastic.

I bought one because my dad is anti gun and it's much easier to hide than a regular rifle. People at the gun range have also mentioned that it's less conspicous as well and they don't mind giving it to their kid.

I live in gun unfriendly Socal fyi.

19. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I've also got some problems with the stock front sight (darn old eyes!). Ive got a handgun with fiber optic sights and I've handled another rifle with them, and I really like them. Much more visible in any reasonable light. I've also been considering adding a set to my 10/22 TD.

20. mdauben

mdauben New Member

If you're going to be carrying it in your hand or on a sling there really isn't any reason to have a TD. It's nice if you want to stuff it into your pack or a duffle while traveling, though. It's also a bit easier to stow if you are carrying it as part of an emergency kit in a car or private plane. If you were flying commercial, it would fit in a regular checked bag rather than an obvious rifle case Finally, as someone else mentioned, it forms a less obviously "gun" package when carrying around to the range or hunting grounds.

As far as takedown and reassembly, Ruger has done a brilliant job there and I can do either on my TD in around 1-2 seconds.