First coon!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by tCan, Dec 9, 2012.

1. tCan

tCan Active Member

A pain to skin with no gambrel. And way too much fat and sinew. Just a less pleasant animal to have to deal with than squirrels. But here he is. Popped him just after dawn while hunting for squirrels. Anyone eat these things have a good recipe? I butchered him and he's in the fridge, but I just don't know what I want to do with him.

[​IMG]

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i hate sound judgemental, but you had no use for killing a coon? was he causing problems or did you just want to kill something?

one of the rules my father taught my brother and i was, don't kill anything you don't plan on eating or unless it's causing a problem or a danger. that's just senseless killing and not hunting.

i'm sorry if you were expecting a pat on the back, it ain't coming from me. sorry, but not impressed. hunting is one thing, but just killing an animal for no reason is irresponsible and stupid.

bring on the flaming! i have stated my position and viewpoint and it's the way i feel.

3. tCan

tCan Active Member

Didn't I say there was meat in the fridge? Its not that I don't intend to try the meat. I'm just not sure the best way.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. tCan

tCan Active Member

I guess the fool proof way is to stew him right?

5. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

sorry i misunderstood.:eek: skin him and cook him on a smoker. BBQ coon is not bad eaing.

6. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Sorry. Never tried coon although I have shot quite a few that tangled with my dog. My only advice to you was don't eat it if you have any reason to believe it was sick or rabid. Coons are usually never out during the day and I have always been taught to be highly suspicious of one that is. Looks like a good coon though. Let me know what it tastes like if you eat it.

7. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

He shot it just after dawn. I imagine the coon was heading home for the day.

8. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

Google search on the term "raccoon recipes" and you will get plenty. Good luck and let us know how it tastes.

9. Birchhatchery

Birchhatchery New Member

i coon hunt with my hounds we sell the hides here i like coon roasted in pot with carrots pototes onions and bbq sauce coons start to head in after daylite starts in no worries ive seen coon out anywere from 2-3 hrs after daybreak

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

make sure you cook it extra well.

personally i wouldnt eat one unless starving to death because of the disease vector. a raccoon is either diseased or coming down with one!! lots of folks do eat em but its not something on my menu and i enjoy wild game.

11. tCan

tCan Active Member

:D HAHAHA. At least you can joke about it.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

tcan,

I have had raccoon before! Which was basically baked in an oven. As they said I think the smoker would be the best in my thought. But be sure to smoke it well. The one I had tended to be a bit greasy! Probably should have cooked longer.
    The stew ideas sounds OK but I would cook it some first.

13. MOshooter

MOshooter New Member

BBQ the only way to eat coon!!

14. SSGSF

SSGSF New Member

Coon a la delta

Cayenne pepper to taste
    Black pepper to taste
    Salt to taste
    3 gloves garlic, chopped
    1 large onion chopped
    1 cup celery chopped
    1 medium bell pepper chopped
    Flour for gravy
    Shortening for gravy and browning coon
    6 medium sweet potatoes

After coon has been dressed properly soak for 1 hr in mild vinegar solution. Drain cut up or cook whole as desired. Salt and pepper coon and cover with water. Add cayenne pepper, garlic,onion, celery,and bell pepper and parboil until partially tender. Remove from heat and drain. Brown coon in a small amount of shortening, then place in roasting pan make a thin brown gravy, seasoned as desired. Pour over coon in roasting pan and place peeled sweet potatoes around and bake in 350 oven until potatoes are done

15. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I will shoot the buggers when I start losing chickens.
    I'll wait for a few reviews here, before I ever try to eat one.

I too am concerned about disease, but that is because I'm ignorant.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Ah yes BBQ coon, can`t get much better than that, plus the hides are bringing as much as 50 bucks this year, & they are thick around here this year, brother & I have already caught a couple dozen..............

17. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Marinate the meat in Coca-Cola with some diced Vidalia onion and apple slices. Then smoke it over hickory and drizzle it or brush on some of the marinade from time to time to keep it moist.

18. tri70

tri70 New Member

Cook him over hardwood like oak and season with Cavender's!

19. cottontop

cottontop Guest

The best way, IMO, is to boil it first. Don't over boil it, but not to where it is falling off the bone. Then add lots of pepper and BBQ sauce and bake it one to one and one half hours in a 360 degree oven. Bake times may vary, just make sure the meat is completely cooked.
    cottontop

20. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member