First Concealed Weapon

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by MoBSix, Oct 3, 2010.

1. MoBSix

MoBSix New Member

Hello everyone, I am looking to buy a pistol for my wife and I for concealed carry. After searching the net a little bit, I came across the Kimber Ultra Carry II and Glock 23. I am leaning more towards the Kimber because of the .45, I like the way it looks, and it seems to be thinner and therefor more comfortable while in the holster. Also, I would like to have some fun with it at the shooting range. Does anyone have any advice on which one I should pick, or do you have a better suggestion?

If it matters, I have medium sized hands and my wife has small hands. I am interested in having an inside waistband holster and my wife will probably carry it in her purse along with the million other items whose purpose I have yet to figure out.

Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

First off, Welcome to the FTF. We have an "Introductions" section. Stop in there.

Second, Concealed carry should not be limited to only 1 firearm. It has been said "If you have one gun, then you have none. If you have 2 guns, then you have one." In other words, should breakage occur, you no longer are armed.

I have found that different situations and how I am dressed determines which firearms I carry.

With the large number of options available out there, I am hesitant to recommend what to purchase. I know what works for me, but my choice may not work for you. Is there anyway to try the two pistols? How about repair / upkeep down the road? Look at ammo availability, too.

My choice of the two would be the Kimber, but I am partial to 1911's

3. MoBSix

MoBSix New Member

I don't fully understand this, do you mean carry 2 at once or just to keep a spare at home?

4. danf_fl

Carry two if possible or if you are with the spouse, and they carry, then maybe one. Murphy's law is still in effect.

5. MoBSix

MoBSix New Member

I never thought of that, but it's not a bad idea. Although I have definately been interested in the Kimber, I don't think I can afford 2 of them, do you have any suggestions of a good one in the $500 range?

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Has the wife shot a 45 before? My GF has small hands also and finds a 45 too much kick.

7. MoBSix

MoBSix New Member

She hasn't fired a .45 before, but I did surprise her by replacing the .38 in one of the revolvers she was firing with .357 super magnum. That was pretty funny.

8. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

When I armed my daughter I thought about how much crap is in her purse, and opted for a 38 sp. revolver. It is light, and will fire covered in gunk from an uncleaned purse, I am not sure a semi automatic will always do that. The light ones have some kick, but she is okay with it, and she is only about 125 pounds.

Now that she carries some outside the purse she is thinking of also getting a 9 mm as she thinks she shoots it better then the higher calibers. I don't know about Alaska, but 9 mm rounds are also significantly cheaper to shoot for target practice then 40s and 45s are here in Florida.

9. danf_fl

One consideration is that an object may enter the barrel if it is unprotected in a purse.

10. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I don't know why that wouldn't be funny to me. It is my job in my family to convence my wife to trust me when it comes to growing into firearms. I don't want to scare her off.

Just me...

11. dcm

dcm New Member

are you looking for 1911's in 500 range or 45's or just a good concealed piece?
    Either way you cant go wrong with a good snub. LCRs have a smooth trigger for the ladies (that doesnt sound right) and you could pick up the 357 model but load it with 38s. Give em a pocket holster toss it in their purse and yur done. For an auto maybe something in 380 (if you feel ok with that) a bersa thunder is a good size and their are smaller of course. keltec has the pf9 in 9mm that is very good but recoil can be a bit snappy. Make sure she trains so she doesnt let an auto bite her though especially from a quick draw.

12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There are purses available specifically designed for concealed carry. The NRA store sells them as well as other places. The gun is separated and protected from the myrid of stuff women carry.
    I was at the range with my wife earlier today. I had her shoot my SP101 which has a lightened trigger with 38 spl loads. She did pretty well but still has trouble with the trigger pull. Her hands are not that strong. Recoil is pretty light with a 25 oz revolver. The Glock 19 still seems to be her favorite. She tried a 26 with finger extension but liked the 19 better. I am still thinking of an SR9C or a Kahr CW9 for her. I need to have her try my PF9 but I am worried about recoil. I dont know why I worry as I have seen her shoot a 25 oz 45 but that was a long time ago. The 19 might be OK in a concealment purse but bulky otherwise. Matched pistols would allow sharing of mags.
    I am looking at pistols that dont require a manual safety. A defense weapon may have to be used in a panic or groggy mode and I dont want a safety to confuse things. Revolvers are great for this but the striker fired pistols work the same way. DA/SA usually requires a hard trigger pull and then a possible grip adjustment. The trigger pull on a traditional DAO can be heavy also. The LRA's are an exception.

13. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Also, I recommend that you read the sticky at the top of this section. Lots of good info (shameless plug for Cane).

14. freefall

freefall New Member

I like my KelTec PF9 for CCW. Thin, light, sells for around $300. It's been reliable so far. I could carry 3 for the price of my Kimber.

15. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

MoBSix,

I had a very good friend of mine give me some advice when I was talking about my CCDW permit and wondering what i should carry. I said I wanted a comfortable carrying gun... he said that "Carrying a hand gun should be the MOST UNCOMFORTABLE thing you do." His meaning is that you should be constantly aware that it is on you and that at any given time be ready to produce it and be VERY uncomfortable about using it, but use it well.

That being said... start with a Galco purse for the misses for christmas. then find her a pistol OR revolver that is comfortable in her hands and not too hard on her with recoil. It is not important that she carry the most powerful gun she can hold and control at the range but to carry a weapon she can use confidently WHEN it counts. Let her pick Her gun, make it HER decision and help her become proficient with it. A carefully place shot is much more important than limb or head removal capacity.

For yourself, A glock 23 is a great gun. If you like the .45 and the glock frame and the size of the 23 (width) then look at a Glock 36. 45 acp punch with the frame size of a 23, carry a spare mag if needed. But don't expect her to carry or want your gun. If price is your primary issue, then you are looking in the wrong direction. What price is your and more importantly, your wife's security.

16. WoodysKJ

WoodysKJ New Member

I find this not too amusing, sorry but I do.

One reason most women feel intimidated about guns and CCDW is when their boyfriends or husbands or even fathers take them out and hand them the biggest gun in their safe and say "Here Try This One Honey...." and then wonder why they don't enjoy shooting.
    Don't try to teach her how to pee standing up. She may want to do things her way. support her don't play games with her. Confidence with anything only comes AFTER the fear of it is gone, so stop scaring her.

17. Sooie

Sooie New Member

I reccommend you do it right from the beginning get a kel Tec pf 9, they're cheap, reliable and perfect for ccw.

It's not a range gun though. Just an awsome lightweight small pocket pistol.

And when you buy somthing else you can always sell the pf9. They're hot right now.

18. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

The PF9 is definitely a gun you want to break in with a few hundred rounds, then pretty much just a mag or two every month. It is NOT fun to shoot.

But it does its job. Personally, I'm not into cheap so I went with the Kahr PM9, but in many respects they fill the exact same purpose and the KelTec is hundreds cheaper.

The Kahr is REALLY fun to shoot and has no edges that will cut you up.

19. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Yo Chris, I'm so glad you brought up Kahr 9's on this thread because I'd been considering one lately. LOVE my Kahr CW45 but have mostly been carrying LCP .380 (usually w/10-rd. ProMag) because of it's smallness/lightness. Have been reading so many positive comments by CW9 owners/carriers lately it was really affecting me... Kept coming back in my mind since I checked one out in a new (for me) gun store/range on Tues.... So today (Saturday) I plunked down my money ($435 + tax) and immediately ran 100 100% flawless rounds (of typical range fodder, WWB etc.) through it. VERY accurate... Fits my hand like a glove... Natural pointer... Excellent balance... Soaks up 9mm recoil nicely (for an 18 oz. gun!). I couldn't be happier and highly recommend the CW9 (especially as a first gun for new shooters) as well as ANY caliber gun in the PM and CW series. Love Kahrs in general... consider CW series an especially GREAT VALUE!... Fresh pic of my little Kahr family... (The 9 - in the foreground - is actually a bit smaller than the .45 though it doesn't quite look that way in this pic because of the angle):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  20. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I forgot about Kahr recoil. My teeny little PM9 has recoil that feels no different than a much larger Glock 19. It could be because of the recoil spring design (it has a double spring).

I heart Kahr!