First Colt wheelgun

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by NGIB, Oct 19, 2009.

1. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Picked up my first Colt DA revolver today. My local shop had bought out a local PD and he had a bunch of revolvers in the back room. I went thru them and picked up this 6 inch nickel Trooper Mk III at the very good price of $350 out the door. It has some finish wear but it's real good mechanically...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Ummmmmmm..................a COLT...............

2849057005_2ebbbdf376_b.jpg

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

It looks a LOT better with new grips. Congrats on your steal. You DO realize a range report is in order. Neil

4. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I love those Troopers, it's such a shame that Colt dropped out of the DA wheelgun business. They had some nice ones, and their cylinder release works better for me than those on S&Ws or Rugers.

I'm not a nickel fan, though.

Congrats on the great buy!

5. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Congratulations! A 6" blued .357 Trooper MkIII is one I let get away and have regretted ever since. Ditto on the range report.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I spent a good deal of time cleaning this one up last night as it's probably been years since a good thorough job was done. Next I went to Numrich (e-gunparts.com) and guess what - they had a set of Colt factory walnut target grips for $38 (and Colt medallion Pachmayr's for $17) - so they're on the way along with new springs.

This one will be going to the range tomorrow after work...

7. OC357

OC357 New Member

NGIB.........Congrats. You stole that for $350.

That is a truely fine looking piece and you should really enjoy it. After you get back from the range you will be in love.

OC

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Shot this one last night for the first time and it's been a while since I shot a revolver. Put 24 rounds of .38 Special and 24 rounds of .357 Magnum thru it. With .38s, it was like shooting a .22 as there was little recoil and it was very accurate in SA. My DA skills are very rusty so I won't comment on that. In SA, I easily kept everything in about a 4 inch circle at 10 yards and this is very acceptable for me.

It was fun shooting .357 again as there's nothing like the serious boom and muzzle flash from touching these off. Recoil was easily controlled as this is a heavy gun and it was comfortable to shoot with the Pachmayr grips. Yup, this is a keeper...

9. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Great find! Glad you enjoyed shooting it. I have a similar S&W model 19, 6" and always have fun when I take it to the range.
    I understand the troopers to be great guns but I never cared for the cylinder release. How do you find it functionally?

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I actually like the cylinder release. While different from a S&W (I have a 686 & 617), it's not irritating in the least...

11. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Good lookin Colt buddy.:D

I'm needin me a 357wheelie too, but mine'll be a Smith 5" stainless:rolleyes:

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Glad to hear you like it! Nothing more frustrating then bringing a new toy home only to find out it really wasn't what you thought it was going to be....

13. dukech1

dukech1 New Member

Congrats on the new piece, it does look nice. My dad carried a Trooper for 25 yrs for Texas DPS. I got to shoot it a few times and it was NICE.

14. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

That's a hell of a deal. Those Colts don't last long. I was in Denver for a certification training this summer and spotted a well used, but good condition Anaconda for $700 right around closing. Went back to the hotel to "Sleep on it". Decided I wanted it. After the session that next day (and 1 1/2 hours in traffic) I hit the store about the same time and guess what... it was gone. I still get pissed every time I see one. (Usually over $1000)

15. OC357

OC357 New Member

Nice. I thought you would like it.

OC

16. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I think you got a great buy on it - I sure would have bought it.

Here's a picture of my Colt (it's a little older style :) ) :

[​IMG]

Love all the Colt's ....:cool:

17. OC357

OC357 New Member

^^Really nice old Colt.

Colts are nice. Smoooooth and accurate. I will NEVER give up my Python.

OC

18. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

I have always wanted a Python - they are beautiful guns.

19. Charger Fan

Charger Fan New Member

Congrats on your score, you got an excellent deal!:cool:
    I like Colts too, they're nice guns. I've currently got these two, both are Lawman .357 in 2" & 4".
    The snubby really barks with stout .357 rounds, the 4" is much more tame.:)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

The stocks came in for the second Trooper I picked up. This one is a mint blue 4 inch gun but it was missing the stocks. I picked up these stocks (the zebrawood are to big) on ebay for cheap...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009