First CCW

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by bigbomar4, Jun 15, 2011.

1. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I am looking for a new gun that I can carry concealed. I have a S&W sigma but it is to large for me to carry when Im only wearing a t-shirt. I am a very thin guy. Im only 140lbs and 6 ft tall. I dont want anything smaller than a 9mm and would prefer a .40cal like my sigma so I can use the same ammo and also for the knock down power. I have been to gun ranges and used the rental guns but this being TX all of the rental guns are large frame guns. Out of all of my friends and family that own guns they are all large frame pistols other than my dads airlite 9mm POS. Do yall have any suggestions?

2. AOK

AOK New Member

If you need a semiauto that conceals better then you likely would want a single stack gun. A couple good options are the Kahr PM9 or Kahr PM40. If the thickness of a double stack doesn't bother you and you just want something with a shorter barrel or grip then look at subcompact Glocks and M&P's. Many other options out there such as Sig's and other brands. Continue to do your research and trying out guns. You will find the right gun for you soon enough. By the way, is printing illegal in TX?

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

check out the colt defender and new agent can be had in 45acp and 9mm.

4. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Kel Tec on the low end.
    Kahr on the high end.
    Ruger in the middle.

And about a dozen others.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist New Member

Kahr CW9 or CW40.
    Same size but more $: Walther PPS (in 9mm or .40).
    Same size but only available in 9mm: Ruger LC9 (also has a safety).

Want even smaller with relative low cost? Kahr CM9... (Same size as PM9 but economy version).

Thin single-stacks rock for conceal carry!...

6. WDB

WDB New Member

S&W M&P compact would fit the need if you want a semi. For light carry I like the S&W airweight revolvers.

7. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Ruger Elsie Ahrrrr 357

Attached Files:

8. Marthor

Marthor New Member

Ruger LC9 is the thinnest 9mm I think.
    Smallest Revolver that's bigger than 9mm is Ruger LCR 357.
    Both of those can fit in your front pocket.

Before I bought my LCP, I was thinking like you that I didn't want to go lower than 9mm. Plus I already had 9mm ammo and didn't want to get a new caliber so that I'd have to buy more ammo. However, I ended up going with the LCP 380 auto after watching some video reviews. With good ammo like "Golden Saber", the LCP 380 auto has adequate stopping power and IMO is about the smallest gun you can get that still has "adequate" stopping power.

9. twobadazbrothers

twobadazbrothers New Member

glock 26,27,30 would be my first choice then a sig sauer 232:)

10. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have just been way to busy this week to do any reserch on these guns but I will as soon as possible. Also I forgot to mention in my original post that I realy would like a safety other than/in adition to the trigger safety. I am a lefty so I would either need one that has one on both sides or can be ordered with it on the right side. Thanks again.

11. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

Well ****. Hit anouther snag. My computer died and I had to get a new one( I have to do training for work and it is all on the comp). So now on top of all of the other things the gun needs to be cheep. As in <$300 max plus the holster. Do yall think that I can get a decent used gun + holster for this? Or sould I just use the pipe wrench in my back seat for protection wile I can come up with the funds for a quality gun?

12. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Personally, I'd save up.

I was in your situation when I was getting my permit. I didn't have more than $300 to spend and I ended up with the Kel Tec P3AT. While it was reliable and consistent, you could tell why it was $280. I had it for less than a year before I shelled out more money and sold it.

If I could do it over again I would have saved up to get the gun I have now.

13. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

14. freefall

freefall New Member

My PF9 is my most carried gun.

15. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I didn't know you could get a 9mm for less than $300.
    That Kel Tec PF-9 looks nice.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  16. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

That sounds great. If I get stuck in town this week end Il see if I can find one at a range to rent or at least at a store so I can handle it. I looks like a great deal. Kel Tecs site said $333 msrp so $259 sounds good to me.

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I carry my PF9 almost everywhere. For warmer months it carries really well in a belly band around the lower waste line. You can pick them up for $20-30. It only works as a pocket carry with really baggy shorts. Otherwise, even with a Desantis Nemesis, you can see the profile of a gun in my front pocket.

Its the same dimensions and capacity as the Ruger LC9, but about 25% lighter and 35% less expensive. I wouldn't be surprised if the Ruger was the more hearty, durable choice, however...so look over both of them.

My PF9 has been 100% reliable for the 300rds or so I've fired through it. No problems with JHPs either. It has a little kick, but emptying a full mag (in short order) into a 1sq ft target @10yds is very attainable with just a little practice...and that's about what I'm looking for in a lighter everyday carry type. The Ruger might well be easier to handle, given a little extra weight.

18. bigbomar4

bigbomar4 New Member

I got to the gun store today right as he was closing and at least got to see the kel tec in person and talked with the store owner. He said its the best you can get for the price and it looked like it would fit me pretty good. I felt bad about tryin to keep him late on a holiday weekend so I didnt handle the gun but I will be goin back next weeken to try it out.