First Ccw Weapon-M&p9c or Sr9c

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by czfreak, Apr 7, 2014.

1. czfreak

czfreak New Member

Going to start the process soon of getting my Chl. My current pistol is a Cz75b. I'm 5'9" 130 lbs and don't see it being a good option as my carry gun. So I've done my research and its brought me to these two weapons. Haven't handled either as of yet, but wanted some insight into the two of them first so i can have a little better idea of comparing them. What are some pros and cons you have found and has anyone had reliability issues with either?

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I have a buddy who loves his SR9,but hates the SR9c. I'll ask him what he doesn't like about it and update you if this thread is still on going then.

But my personal carry gun is an MP9c, it's going to be slightly thicker than your SR9c or glock but I love mine now,that's not to say I always loved it though,I could not deal with the stock grip,and heavily modified mine to fit my needs.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396909920.034810.jpg

Other than my gripe with the grip it's awesome,great size,very accurate,stock mags hold a respectable 12 rounds and it points right for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

3. czfreak

czfreak New Member

Does the hinge trigger take a lot of getting used to or was it pretty easily adapted?

4. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

It didn't strike me as particularly hard to get used to,I don't shoot it as well as my single action sig or 1911 but I attribute that to the nature of the striker fired trigger more so than the hinge in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

5. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

I use a SR9c as my cc gun and find myself shooting that most often just for fun. Never had a issue with it, like the fact it has a safety, is easy to field strip and feels good in my hand. Also came with 2 mags and a grip extender for the 17 round mag that makes it feel like a full size gun. I guess I really can't say anything bad about it after about 1000 rounds and 3 years of carry. Never dealt with the M&P but have never heard anything bad about that one either.

6. czfreak

czfreak New Member

Is the safety easily engaged? I would probably carry it without it on if i picked it. My ideal carry would be something like my full size cz. But i like the idea of not having a safety to deal with at the same time.

7. JW357

JW357 New Member

I have an M&P9c. I love it. Haven't put too many factory rounds through it, as most of the time I have owned it I lived in Kalifornia and could never find 9mm at a reasonable price. Probably have 500-1000 through it. Never had a malfunction with factory ammo.

It fits my hand well, points well for me, and is just a great shooter.

My only complaint is the reset for the trigger. I don't mind the trigger pull itself. But the reset bothers me.

My wife has an M&P9 full size and hers was a rental gun before we bought it. Consequently it has a lot more rounds through it than mine. Her reset (or lack thereof) isn't as noticable as mine while firing.

So maybe the reset on mine will get better too? If it doesn't, I will likely get an Apex kit for it. They're not that expensive and I hear they are amazing.

I have zero experience with the SR series of pistols.

Good luck in your decision. See if you can find them both locally and hold them. Shoot them if possible.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I have no Gripe with the S&W's. I own a full Sized SR9, which lately has had a few ups and downs, but is a strait shooter. My buddy has a 40c which he loves, and carries daily, but feels the 3/8ths of an inch makes a difference past 15yards. My BHP and 92's are all Heavier, because the SR's are part Polymer. You can't go wrong either way. Had also had a 9c but sold it right away, not because I didn't like it, just felt with the LC & the Full sized SR, I didn't need it..

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

9. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Why not a CZ PCR for carry?

10. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I'm curious.
    Is there a CZ (besides Dan Wesson), that does not have a "hinge" trigger?

Or are you talking about the so called safety lever?

11. czfreak

czfreak New Member

Pcr doesn't have a manual safety or a rail. With a striker gun i see no point in a safety but if i were going to stick to what i already know i would want a safety rather than decocker

12. czfreak

czfreak New Member

I was referrimg to the safety device

13. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

14. czfreak

czfreak New Member