First build started!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by powell0892, Jul 27, 2012.

1. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

So after talking to all of you guys and reading and talking some more, I have decided to take the plunge. Originally the wife told me to go ahead and build my lower and then wait until christmas for the upper, well she then decided that it was best that I go ahead and get the upper now since elections will be right around the corner in december and after what happen in colorado it kind of worries us. So she told me to go ahead with all of it and of course I did not argue, so here goes!

CMMG lower (wanted a spikes but grew impatient, may pick one up later )
    PSA LPK w/ MOE goodies
    Magpul STR
    BCM BCG
    BCM BFH 16" mid-length lightweight
    BCM Gunfighter
    Spikes ST-T2 Heavy Buffer
    MOE Mid-length handguard (ran out of money for quad)
    Magpul AFG2
    Vortex Sparc

I already have all of my lower and Vortex. I will be building the lower tomorrow and will post pics when I am done. We are leaving on vacation early part of next week so I am waiting to order my upper, I should have it all by the 1st or 2nd week in August and will post pics and keep you updated. Thanks for all of your help I would have never been brave enough to build one without all of yall. Feel free to throw any suggestions my way, thanks again for all the help!

2. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Sweet cant wait to see pics.

3. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Congrats on the build. Sound like a nice set up. Just like you I get static from the old lady about my misappropriation of funds towards my toys. I sneak in a part or two every payday. Just down to the barrel assembly now. Need barrel , gas, and quad. I got some unknown funds(to her) coming that should help me finish. can't wait to see your build.

Attached Files:

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's going to be a great build, powell, geat part selection! A lot like my recent build and JonM's. Gotta love a BCM middy!

5. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

Quick question I just realized that my Magpul STR supposedly has a QD for slings how does this work? And where is it? I dont want to have to buy a sling mount if I dont need to.

6. okdonk

okdonk New Member

The STR has the hole thingy.. but you still have to get the actual QD swivel. It costs around $10-15 on average. I just bought one by Troy's for $15 at my LGS. Or you can just get a Magpul MS3 QD version which is a newly released.

7. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

Cool stuff thanks donk, think I will try out the ms3 qd.

8. Quentin

Quentin New Member

My STR came with the QD mount on the left side. It is reversible.

9. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Damn guys,

I have theSTR and didn't even notice that. Now I need a QD. Thanks for pulling my head out............

10. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

Here she is.....

Attached Files:

11. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Yeah the ACS is the one that just has the hole, so you have to buy the QD mount and install. The STR and CTR come with the mount ready to go.

12. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

Sooo.....pretty pissed off right now I am having some issues with my magwell not dropping mags, not only is it not dropping mags I have to almost beat my pmags in and the colt mags will drop about half way out then hang up.....I have been reading and people say to use sand paper so I started with 400 and have worked all the way down to using a 80 because I was seeing no results..please help...:mad:

13. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  14. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

Thanks bud,

I have been sanding away and have made some but very little progress, thinking im just gonna give it to the gunsmith in the family and tell him to see if he cant fix it and go from there, if that fails I will definantly be calling. Im still going ahead with my build, I ordered everything from BCM today and will shoot away while we try and fix the issue. Just plain annoying to spend money on something and it not work right....

15. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

Anybody know how long it takes for BCM to ship things off? I placed an order yesterday morning and have tried to call them with no luck, leaving for town monday and would hate for $900 worth of merchandise to be sitting on my front porch.

16. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Sanding on that hard anno is like sanding on a rock . tough to go anywhere . I would call cmmg and let them get you a new lower that one was obviously not machined correctly .
    Just realized you got a blem lower , Sorry for your luck but it sounds like you get what you get on those deals .

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

They usually ship within a day. If you're close to WI you should be ok. To ID it took 5 business days via UPS ground.

If a problem I'm sure you can work something out with UPS.

18. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

I ordered an upper, rails and some other parts, on Tuesday night after normal business hours, it was shipped on Wed and at my door on Friday. They sent it with signature required also.

BCM is awesome!

BCM lowers take 3-5 weeks but that's nothing compared to 6 months or longer from Spikes right now.

19. powell0892

powell0892 New Member

Thanks for the help just got a email saying it had been shipped, im in GA so it shouldnt be a problem thats 6 days. Just an update on the magwell, I sat down this morning for an hour or so and just took my time and sanded with several different grits and then used some polishing compound followed by some CLP and then a light coat of graphite (only in corners of magwell) and the standard colt mags will drop free now and the pmags will drop about half way, Im sure as time goes on it may get better both magwell and pmags are brand new, if not I will sit down again and repeat the process. Had a talk with a guy at the LGS and he told me I should never put a BCM on something so crappy as my cmmg lower, he said I should buy a crappy upper to put on top of it then sell it and start over :rolleyes: I smiled and told him to have a good day....some people

20. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

Mine did not drop well till the build was finished. I don't know why but they didn't. Now they drop out very easy. What part of Ga are you in? I am from Winder area.