first build on order!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Broke124, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

I'm so damn excited....so here's the list.

DD m4 v5 LW 16" w/ flp up sights urg
    Spikes stripped lower
    DD LPK
    MAGPUL GRIP
    MAGPUL PMAG x3
    VLTOR A5 stock and extension combo kit
    Magpul ambi sling attachment.
    Magpul trigger guard (aluminum)
    Lower vice

I think that's all. So you guys Def let me know if I forgot something!
    BTW you fellas have been awesome in dealing with all my retarded questions for the past couple days...

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

2. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Sounds great. Who are you going w/ for the LPK?

"flip up sights urg", huh?

3. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

DD LPK and the upper receiver group with flip up sights. Option was no sights or flip up.

"...rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." /G\

4. texasman55

texasman55 New Member

Now I see why your name is broke haha just kidding, sounds like you are ready to slap that puppy together and throw some lead down range!!! Good luck!!!

5. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Lol. My buddies gave me that name when I was 20 and it stuck ever since. But yeah they say that too...

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Sounds great, Broke. You ordered the rear MBUS sight too? Which sling BTW?

I'm curious why you didn't get the PSA lower... no prob, just curious.

7. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

I ordered the upper with the flip up sight option so no MBUS. I just got the sling attachment, haven't decided on sling yet, but I like one magpul has out new for winter; can't remember the name though. I didn't go with PSA because I've heard from 3 people that spikes fit tighter and the PSA finish could be better. (plus I wanted the zombie edition lower from spikes with the "live-dead" select fire....) ;) and to be completely honest I'm not sure what you mean with the acronym "MBUS" but whatever it is I didn't get it. Lol.

8. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

The sling is the MS3. I'm getting a MS2 for mine, but they're more or less the same sling.

MBUS stands for Magpul Back Up Sights. They're just Magpul's flip up sights.

-Fred

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Are you going to be wearing the sling for extended periods of time? If you are you may want to take a closer look at the Magpul sling.

10. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I know it's thin and can get uncomfortable, but I really like how quick all your transitions can be. I've used two points before, and while they are nice for comfort and stability, I wanna give a single point a try, and I like the adaptability of the Magpul. My girlfriend is getting it for me for Christmas, so I'm not actually spending anything on it, and if I don't like it I'll just sell it and buy a VCAS.

-Fred

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Cool, figured you knew but wanted to make sure. If you're anything like me you don't get a whole lot of do overs due to funds.

12. cfraga1978

cfraga1978 New Member

mjkeat,

I am looking at a few tac slings. who makes the 3 point slings that we were issued? i am sure you guys got the same ones that we had. I really liked them they were wide and heavy duty web nylon. Do you know of any other slings out there that are made like that. all of the ones i have seen have been thin and flimsy.

13. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Thanks for the warning though. Yeah, I know what you mean on the whole funds deal. Working only 24 hours a week and going to college doesn't make for a ton of extra money.

-Fred

14. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Okay so I've changed from LW to standard as DD notified me that it would be a while on the LW. So since I'd already ordered everything else, I went ahead and got what I could get right now....impatient I know. The DD salesman said I would notice no difference.

15. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

I would shop around on some other sites and look for the LW upper elsewhere. You will notice a difference. It's not the difference in weight that you're going for, but the lightweight barrel does make a noticeable difference in the balance of the rifle. This causes the rifle to feel much lighter than it actually is, makes it swing quicker and easier, and make holding the rifle with your firing hand only during reloads and such much easier.

My rifle now is a 16 inch M4 profile, and I wish I had gone with a LW. My next rifle is going to be a 14.5 LW.

-Fred

16. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

Really? Over 6 oz. ?

17. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

According to DD's site, there is a 6.5 oz difference. Now it may not sound like much, but if you held the two rifles you would be amazed at how big of a difference it can make.

You've got to think, that's almost half a pound, and it out past the fulcrum point of the rifle, which is your hand on the grip. Not to mention, govt profile barrels are very front heavy as it is.

Is there a shop near you that sells ARs? If so, I would really encourage you to go there a hold a few different rifles, preferably ones that are different lengths and have different barrel profiles. You'll see what I'm talking about.

-Fred

18. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

So why would they even make a standard, why aren't all the barrels LW? If there is such an advantage?

19. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

There are advantages to heavier barrels. The only one that comes to mind is accuracy once the barrel heats up, but you won't notice much difference going from govt to LW, and that can be fixed other ways, such as having the barrel cryoed.

Other people may know some of the other advantages/disadvantages, but that's the only one I know of.

For me and my purpose for the rifle, LW is my preference. If I'm gonna be doing any rapid long range stuff, it's not gonna be with a 16" AR.

-Fred

20. Broke124

Broke124 New Member

If I don't like the barrel I can always just get a new one right ? And how is it legal to own a 14.5" barrel?