First bolt action rifle: .223 Ammo help

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by jamesb, Jan 11, 2012.

1. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Trading a SIG 229 Dark Elite for this tomorrow. It is a Remington 700 VSSF II which has a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40mm AO scope mounted on it.

[​IMG]

Always wanted a Remington 700 and figured the .223 would be perfect for the target shooting at 100-200 yards I would be doing.

My question is what type of ammo should I start with in this? I want some range ammo to play with, but also want some decent match grade factory ammo that doesn't break the bank. If i'm a good shot from a bag with no wind can I expect a .5" accuracy at those distances or is that asking too much.

It is a 1 in 12 twist rate out of a 26" barrel. Any help is appreciated.

This is the ammo I was going to test. Is the 69gr ammo going to be too heavy?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

55 grn or less. My 1:12 likes 45 grn. Buy some 45, 50, 53 and see what it likes. Every gun is different. Mine will shoot 45 grn HP varmint bullets better than 55 grn anything and I tried quite a few.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Jamesb,

That is a nice rifle and you will have no problems drilling a target at 100-200 yards. With the right ammunition it should group 1/2 inches or less at 100 yards from a rest on the bags or what is referred to as 1/2 MOA or less. Which would mean a 1 inch group at 200 depending upon the wind effect.
    If you want some good ammunition to practice with get some American Eagle, Black Hills or Hornady in 55 Grain *FMJ 223 ammunition. It shoots similar to the tactical rounds I will mention in a moment. If you want some great accurate tactical ammunition look at the Federal Premium Model P-223-E 55 Grain JHP Rounds. Hornady and Black Hills are also excellent tactical rounds as well as the 55 gr. Federal Tactical. But what ever you buy be sure it is no heavier bullet than 55 grain with the 1:12 twist. It will not stabilize any heavier bullets well over 55 grain.
    Give us a range report and enjoy that new rifle!

4. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

Check out the Remington UMC 50gr JHP from Walmart.

5. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Thanks guys. I'll stick to 55gr and under. I'll pick a few different brands and types and run some through to see what it likes.

EDIT: Just placed an order at Ammo to Go for the following:

[​IMG]

Can't wait to run some ammo through it and see what it likes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. fatmidgets

fatmidgets New Member

Walmart also has 45gr. Jhps. I prefer the 55gr. myself, cuz... Well I don't even know... I just like standard 55gr. Fmjs

7. jamesb

jamesb New Member

Got it last night! The trigger is absolutely awesome! It feels close to a 2lb pull that is very crisp!

Not sure when i'm going to be able to test it out. It may be a month or so :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]