First attempt at holster making! **PICS**

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by sbninja, Sep 20, 2009.

1. sbninja

sbninja New Member

I recently became interested in getting an IWB hybrid holster for my 24/7 PRO 9mm. The ones I saw online were really nice - Bluegrass,Comp-tac,Crossbreed. Well, I decided to make an IWB Hybrid holster myself . I just finished dyeing it, and still need to "finish" it, But here is a picture before dyeing.

[​IMG]

I just finished, almost. Here are some pics. Dyed, edge coat applied, and formed(shaped)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

That's a nice looking piece. Good job. :cool:

3. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

4. mr1911

mr1911 New Member

WOWEEEEEEEWOWOW!

GONGRADULATIONS, excellent job,.....give us more info on your project, how does it work/fit?
    Any bugs being worked out so far?

Makes me want to give it a try!

5. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

I am officially VERY impressed. Great looking rig.

So what other mad skills do you have?

6. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

How did you form the plastic? Do you have any problems drawing the weapon with the indentation around the port in the slide?

7. gadrooning

gadrooning New Member

Very nice job. I would also like to know how you formed the plastic as well. Please share.

8. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Yea go into details on the plastic molding. Write an Article about it and get a free Premium Membership.

9. sbninja

sbninja New Member

Thank's all. I should have been a bit more descriptive;)

The material is not "plastic" it is "Kydex"

This "Hybrid" IWB Holster that I crafted, I made from "Kydex" and Leather. You can do a web search for Kydex forming.

It fits, and functions perfectly! Very comfortable. When a Holster is made entirely of Kydex, you have to be careful of the formed indents of the pistol - so as not to "Lock" in the pistol. This is not much of an issue with hybrid holsters, as the leather offers some give.;)

10. Persuasive

Persuasive New Member

Looks great and an awesome fit. Kudos!

11. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I sort of figured it was kydex but wasn't sure. So how did you form it? Do you warm it and use a vacuum system? Where did you get the raw material?

12. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

INFO man we need more INFO.

INFO man we need more INFO.

We also need more pics maybe with a nice person of the shapely Female gender showing it off for us? Just tossing out ideas.

Wright an article about how you did it and then start making them and selling them to all of us.

13. 300magman

300magman New Member

Excellent work. I have always wanted to try forming Kydex. I have a few projects in mind but I never seem to have the time or space.

14. james_black

james_black New Member

Great job brother! Let us know when you start selling them.

15. 995

995 New Member

Good job you did there

16. kusterleXD

kusterleXD New Member

How much did it cost you in materials and how long did it take to make start to finish?

17. Franchise

Franchise New Member

Nice job. That's very cool. I'd like one for my CCW. I can't ever find a real good one.

18. 504tactical

504tactical New Member

Hi guys. Im new here but I saw your post and decided to help with the info. I also work with kydex and have done so for a while. I just want to say great job on the holster it looks great . Very nice work. I have one question . It looks like you have a great mold on that , is it tough to draw your firearm with it being so tight around the front sight? The whole thing should take two to three hours. The cost is minimal ($4.00 for 12X12 kydex sheet, this looks like a .06 thick. leather about $6.00 sqr foot. Hardware about three bucks tops. Well to answer your guys question Knifekits.com is a great place to but all the supplies needed for any kydex project. They have the best prices to. Here is a pic of my last project , its a kydex holster made for a 1911 but i covered it in rattlesnake skin.

Attached Files: