First AR15 Build Process

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by NitroxAZ, Aug 13, 2009.

1. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I hope this AR15 project will be the first of many. Before I start I would like to thank a few people at this point in the process. First off, I want to thank JD for the "Let's End the AR BS" thread which inspired me to start this project, because of how easy it appears to be to build one and for answering the questions I have had so far. Next I want to thank junho for his enthusiasm in that thread and for the "Its finally finished, my first AR" thread he posted regarding the positive experience of building his.

I started this Tuesday, August 11th by buying a Yankee Hill Lower Receiver and a DPMS Lower Receiver Parts Kit. On Wednesday, I went back and bought a 6 Position Collapsible Model 4 Tactical Stock and an AR15 MultiTool.

I plan on starting the build process this weekend and completing the lower receiver portion. Here is a picture of the parts that I have so far.

[​IMG]

I will update this as I build it. I feel "BRD" setting in:D

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

NitroxAZ - Thank you for the thread! I respect you and know that you will do the AR platform proud!

This is going to be as inspiring as my young padwan Junho. I would hope that, moving forward, you will be the next generation of AR inspiration!

Go for it man, from frame/receiver all the way to Range Report!!

I am here, and will be monitoring this thread, should you need any help.

However, thru our communique' I know that you are an intelligent, research driven individual and you will do JUST FINE!!

JD

3. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Anxious to see how it turns out. I wish I had built my first one, but now I have two AR's, an Oly Arms 20" A2, and a DPMS LR-308B. My next one will definitely be one that I built though. Keep us updated, can't wait for the range report.

-Fred

4. SeanCucf

SeanCucf New Member

I really want to build one, but I can pick up a RRA entry tacical for 845, or an M&P with quadrail/ F & R flipup sights for 1200. That way I'd have a functioning unit while I'm building. I'll be paying attention to this thread for even more inspiration though. Decisions decisions...

5. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Can't wait!! This is as good as the Benning/Crusher Novel!!

6. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Putting The Lower Receiver Together

Here is the complete lower receiver.

[​IMG]
    By nitroxaz

I put it together this afternoon with a few curse words thrown in with the damn Recoil Detent Buffer Pin and Spring. This was the most difficult part of the process and it was not that hard. Just mildly frustrating because of the size of my hands. I would probably use a small flathead screwdriver or similar tool to hold it down next time instead of fighting it.

All in all it was very easy to put together. Between great step by step instructions from the Knowledge Base (Pimpin' for ya JD:D) and simple handyman type skills are all it took so far. Of course when my friends see it I will let them think that I am a master gunsmith;)

I am looking forward to the next step.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Muwawa whahahahahah a hhahaha hahahaha!!

That is how we know that you have done it yourself and that you aren't BSing.... LOL

That's awesome....

Congrats on the build.

One word of advice: DON'T EVER!! EVA, EVA, EVA, EVA pull that hammer back and let it slam forward on your stripped lower. That is bad.

You can damage the hammer and the receiver...

Keep up the great work!

JD

8. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

How many times would it take to damage the lower? I did that twice...DOH!!!!

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

EVERYBODY does it atleast a couple of times. Just don't do it alot. It's one of those newbie rights of passage.

I did the same thing, in front of my Master Gunsmith who I respect more than almost anyone in the world. :eek:

Just don't do it again...

JD

10. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Another EBR-smith in the making here ;)

Looks good Nitro. You got lucky...alot of folks would be biting their tongue, not wanting to admit how many extra springs and detents they had to buy to replace all the one they shot all over the house while trying to put their first lower together.

Hint - next time, try using a razor blade or something similar to hold things down. And if possible, find a large enough clear plastic bag to do that part of the assembly in, keeps those little pieces from launching into orbit ;)

Good looking lower you got there, and congrats.

Slo

11. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I just bought a lower receiver vise block, A3 upper and charging handle along with a tac-latch for the charging handle. I got the tac latch because I am unsure of what type of optic I will use and want to make sure if I go with a larger scope, I can operate the handle.

I attached the A3 upper at the pivot pin but can't remove the takedown pin. Do I need to take the stock off and remove the takedown detent and spring to remove this pin?

12. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

The takedown pin should push out just like the pivot pin does.

-Fred

13. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Should it push out with the detent and spring in? I am afraid to force it with something as forceful as a punch.

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

The spring pushes the detent into the pin, adding resistance, so the pin doesn't come all the way out.

Correctly installed, the detent should be riding in the groove of the pin, and it should be a little difficult to get out, that is how you know you have a good, tight fit between the upper and the lower.

JD

15. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Figured it out. Had the takedown pin installed from the wrong side. Thanks for the help. Here it is put together.

[​IMG]

It's getting there. I am going to get the bolt carrier group tomorrow.

16. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

Smart choice on the A3 Upper, I wish mine was an A3, I'm thinking about changing it out. Get's kind of annoying not being able to mount any sort of optics to it.

-Fred

17. russ

russ New Member

Did my first build earlier this year. I must have launched the detent and spring for the front takedown pin across the room 4 or 5 times before I finally got it. Very frustrating, but a good learning experience. I bought my upper complete, but kind of wish I'd have assembled it myself as well. Maybe next time. I think assembling the lower can be a bit intimidating the first time, but once you've done it once, it's really pretty easy.

18. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Purchased and installed the bolt carrier group this weekend. I am getting there. Looking at the barrel next. I can't wait until this is complete and I can take it tot he range.

19. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Just ordered the gas system kit from Midway. I will be getting the barrel Friday. Just need the handguard and sights/optics.

20. russ

russ New Member

Update? Pics?