First ar

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by adkins, Jan 29, 2012.

1. adkins

adkins New Member

Hi newbie here. I just recently picked up my first ar a stag model 2 so far I love it. What does everyone think about stag.

2. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

I'm headed to the shop to pick up my model 3 may switch to a model 2
    I put a little over 1800 in mine tho! :) but it's the baddest one around these parts

3. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Not horrible but you could have purchaced something like a BCM at the same price point.

4. adkins

adkins New Member

Not horrible. Well then tell me what's not good about them

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Do some looking around and compare price to specs such as barrel steel, twist rate, proper assembly, QC, CS.

6. adkins

adkins New Member

I hear about barrel steel alot does any body know the difference in 4140 and 4150. Twist rate is 1in 9 as far as proper assembly not sure everything seems fine gas key looks staked just fine to

7. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a Stag model 2,its a very well made rifle and has been 100% reliable.ive had mine for about 3 years

8. MrWray

MrWray New Member

You got a damn good rifle, no worries..

9. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

A very knowledgeable guy once told me "length of ownership is no indication of quality". It opened my eyes quite a bit.

I never said anything negative about his rifle. There are guys I trust that like Stag. Yes it is a decent rifle but my words hold true.

I did a quick Google search and in 2 pages a Model 2 ran from the mid $800 range to $999. There is better out there well w/i that price point. Once again I'm not talking down on Stag but I speak the uncoated truth.

10. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Really, after your purchase is not the time to start asking the difference in barrel steel and twist rate. Plus a score of other specs. That should be determined in your initial research. Stag does offer 4150 and 1:7 in their $100 upgrade package. Do you need it? Maybe, maybe not, it depends on your application.

11. adkins

adkins New Member

I was not asking about barrel steel and twist. I was told there was better and was asking if anyone else new the difference in 4140 and4150 my barrel is 4140 I am a machinist have been for thirteen years. I work with these materials on almost a daily basis.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

If you're a machinist you must work with different carbon steels and have opinions on hardness and longevity. 4140 is cheaper and easier to work with. 4150 is more durable, especially under hard use. 4150 costs more, you have to decide whether it's worth it to you.

13. adkins

adkins New Member

Slight bit more carbon helps with heat treating

14. jamesb

jamesb New Member

This.

I had a Stag 2T and really enjoyed it. For range trips and a couple hundred rounds each month or so it will do you fine.

With that said I built my own with BCM, DD, and Troy parts. I would consider it to be a SHTF build and I wanted the best I could get.

Enjoy your Stag and shoot it as much as you can. After a while you will see what you do and don't like about it. Afterwards, start to piece together your own after doing more research if you find your Stag isn't everything you want in an AR.

Don't worry about your 2T. It will be a good first AR. :)

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Unless your going to play mall nijna at the range or turn one into a machine gun it does not matter if the steel is 4140 or 4150.

16. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

For us that don't know can you elaborate as to why? What's the difference? And what does playing mall ninja entail?

17. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

Shoot it and shoot it some more, Stag makes a nice AR. Not my first choice, but all the ones I've handled and shot (just a few) were good shooters.

But next time, if you really want some advice, you might wanna ask before you take the plunge......just saying.

18. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I've got a stag model 1 with a 20" bull barrel and a 1 in 8 twist. Great weapon! I like my stag better than my friends' bush master and olympic arms AR. You have a great rifle. And stag is one of the better names in AR's.

19. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

How so? Compared to what, Oly and BM?

20. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Stag is one of the leaders in AR manufactruing in the world. Read reviews on them, you may be supprised.