First AR

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Guns-N-Ammo, May 13, 2014.

1. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

A little back history about myslef and the AR platform.... I was first introduced to it when my dad (LEO) brought his issued AR home and since we live in the country we were able to shoot it before he went to qualify the next day and ever since then I have wanted one so bad. It was all decked out with a red dot, light and flip up sights....the whole nine yards..... from then on, I would always shoot it when he brought it home and it was a big surprise because I always went to school the next day and bragged that I got to shoot an AR! Needless to say that was over 10 years ago and when my dad retired he was able to get an AR just like this duty one and I still shoot it from time to time but now I want my own one :D

I am still new to the cleaning and take down and rebuild part of it though. So that where I hope you guys can help and that is why I wanted to start with a complete upper and lower.

So after some heavy research and reading a bunch of threads here, I am convinced a complete lower and upper from PSA would be a good solid gun for me to get. It would also be in my buget.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...omplete-psa-ar15-lower-moe-edition-black.html
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...mv-cl-upper-with-bcg-and-charging-handle.html

So I am reaching out to all of you guys and gals to tell me the pros and cons of this set up. I am also looking for opinions on what else would be good to add to this or change. Also this will be used for.....target pratice, SHTF, 50yrds-about 400-500yrds, practical traning, hunting, etc. Basicly I want this gun to be my one and only go to rifle. Thanks

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  2. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Nice picks the only thing I would suggest is to go with a mid length gas system. It has a "less sharp" recoil and allows me to take faster followup shots. Check out the link below.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...1-7-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

This is still the lower cost PTAC line, The quality is good but not up to the FN milspec barrel on the next lower. Unfortunately it out of stock right now.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...nato-stainless-steel-hammer-forged-upper.html

3. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

So your saying go for the one that is out of stock? Do you know how much it is? Ballpark?

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I don't think it gets much better than that for a first AR.

*Caution* AR's tend to breed, quickly!!!

5. dwmiller

I've seen them for ~$325 with the Bolt and charging handle. If you lurk and wait for a blemished version ~$225-250. Really the PTAC mid length on the top link is good, just we have sooo many hyper-picky members that anything less than "brand X" milspec won't do at all.... :p

This link has an FN barrel, Way more details and specs on the barrel, see, it must be better.... :rolleyes:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...ghtweight-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

6. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

LOL thats ok to be hyper-picky......want to do it right! Do they make that same barrel in 16"? How quick is PSA about getting things back in stock?

7. dwmiller

PSA is kind of hit and miss about restocking. Especially since things are really just getting back to normal. It might be quicker to order the PTAC now and rebarrel it if you feel the need after firing it. I really don't think you will, this barrel should last 20,000 rds or more with no loss of accuracy...

Daniel Defense, and Yankee Hill Machine and CMMG make great barrels for this idea. Light profile and mid gas system seems to be what most of us here agree on. The other details might take some FTF wrangling...:D

8. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I would definitely suggest the mid length also. I would stick with the PSA "Premium" line with the FN barrel. The PTAC line is kind of hit and miss with reviews. It is worth spending a little more for the known quality. IMO

I have 4 PSA uppers and all have been excellent here are two of my PSA builds. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400035723.801065.jpg ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400035751.161288.jpg

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

9. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

I like that top picture!!! Dumb question though.....how can you tell if its a mid-length gas system?

10. dwmiller

Easy answer look for the words Mid-length in the description. Its between the carbine short gas tube and the rifle full length tube so "mid".

System______________Barrel Length_____________________Port Distance
    Pistol________________< 10 inches______________________4 inches
    Carbine_______________10-18 inches____________________7 inches
    Mid__________________14-20 inches____________________9 inches
    Rifle__________________20+ inches_____________________12 inches

11. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

thanks for clearing that up

12. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Carbine

Mid

Rifle ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1400037257.823494.jpg

Sent from a phone I can use to do my taxes, but can't make a damn call.

13. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

oh wow :eek: that really puts it in view...thanks!!!

14. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

So if my upper doesnt come with a BCG or CH what would be some goods??? Links?

15. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Bolt
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-...Auto-M16-p/bcm bolt carrier group auto mp.htm

Charging Handle
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-GUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-p/bcm gfh mod 4 556.htm

I also like these uppers. I am ordering one for another lower I just bought unless PSA runs a great deal which is likely. Just dont know exactly what I want to put on the lower yet.
    http://jtdistributing.net/store/page150.html

16. Dahamp2003

Dahamp2003 New Member

I second the PSA Premium line also and I'd say it's definitely worth the extra for the midlength. Also, BCM is great, but if that's a little too much money for ya PSAs Full auto BCG, or M16 is a great choice too. Good luck with your build. Let us know if you need help.

17. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

OP, I think you should just go with the first upper you picked. Its the premium line and it comes with BCG and CH. I too prefer mid-length gas, but PSA doesn't have a complete ML premium upper for that price right now.

18. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

OP if you can't get the Premium M4 upper, also look and see about a Premium M4A1 Upper in Carbine and just add a Full Auto BCG to help calm over-gassing. The Barrel will be machined a little thicker under the Handguard, which does add some ounces of weight to help with recoil and seems to me, give the rifle a better balance and smoother swing, but that's my opinion. I have the M4A1 Premium Madness Upper from PSA and love it. I mounted over a Anderson Lower that I built, using all PSA/Magpul components.

19. Guns-N-Ammo

Guns-N-Ammo New Member

Glad to see someone else here from Missouri!!! Thank you all for your input.

@nchunt101......is that bolt able to do full auto? Not that I am going to make my AR full auto but I want it to be more "beefyier" then regular ones!

20. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

Yeah,,,BCM bolts are top notch. IMHO the most important parts of the rifle are the bolt and the barrel. Also bolt needs to be Carpenter 158 steel which the BCM is. Not all PSA bolts are so if you go PSA read the specs.