First AR build

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by General_lee, Oct 30, 2009.

1. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I was bored in the store yesterday, so I figured I would make an attempt at building myself an AR lower.
    The lower is Spikes tactical, the parts kit is Stag arms, and the buffer, tube, spring and stock are Tapco.
    I will post pics when I can. This is the first time i've attemted to assemble an AR, so i'm pretty stoked:D
    I've got my completed lower on layaway, I should be able to pay it off in two weeks. Then I need to find an upper.
    My boss told me I should be able to build a basic M4 carbine for between $650 and $700. Only problem is, parts suppliers like Brownells want that price just for a complete upper.
    If the price goes a little over 700, thats okay, but I want to keep cost at a minimum while still using quality parts.
    So, do you guys think I should do like Johnny Cash and get it "one piece at a time"? or just save up and get a complete upper and barrel?
    I'm also looking for suggestions as to the brand of parts I need, and a good place to get them.

2. General_lee

General_lee New Member

*BUMP* Anybody?
    This is my first AR and I want to build it right. I need advice from the experts.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009

3. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Try reposting in the AR section.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Sorry I missed this the first time around.

So, are you asking if you should just buy a completed upper? Or buy parts piece meal as you go along?

I would definitely recommend buying individual parts and assembling them yourself.

But you aren't going to build an M4ery in this market for $650 or $700. More like $900. It's the market right now. 2 years ago, that would been very do able, but now, not so much....

What do you want the weapon to do? What is your goal of the build?

5. outlawcustoms

outlawcustoms New Member

6. woodman27

woodman27 New Member

Got a quick ? I have DPMS Ar chambered in 223/5.56 and am wanting to go bigger can I use my existing lower and of coarse a new upper for 6.5 creedmoor??? The bullets are almost the same length just the 6.5 is fatter so I need to know whether I can use my lower with the right upper????

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. Squawk

Squawk New Member

I recently finished building this for around $1500. Take away the quad-rail, red dot sight, magnifier, grippod and angled foregrip, the cost is more like $900-$1000. That's Stripped Lower and lower build kit, Complete upper and Troy/Spikes Rear Battlesight for around $900. With no mags or ammo.

Attached Files: