First AR 15

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by ZachRome, Jan 27, 2014.

1. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

I really want my first ar 15... I've shot the ar 15-22 so I somewhat know the system.. But what's a good starter ar? I'd like to spend 1000 or less

2. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Too many to count. Price wise, now is the time, they can only go up from here (and they will). Consider buying a major brand for more options. S&W is one I would trust any day. A Colt may still be over $1000 but it is money in the bank for resale.

3. btf683

btf683 New Member

Allot of options under $1000 I got a bushmaster carbine for $800

Yell-O

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

A lot of very nice gun for 1000 or less.
    Heck some nice ones for 800 even these days (would not go much below 800 though)

Sig M400 can be had for 1000 now..
    The only S&W MP15 I like is the MP15 Magpul MOE in midlenght gas system (only the midlenght Smiths gets the 4150 barrel the others are 4140)
    Rock Rick and Stag are also just under 1000 (depending how you option them out) and can be pretty nice.
    Colts go for 1000 and up.
    I really like the SIG 516 for its CHF barrel, adjustable gas, etc but this quality and feature laden rifle starts at 1300

Many many great rifles today.

5. MolonLabe__1776

MolonLabe__1776 New Member

The colt le6920 is on cheaperthandirt.com for 1,052 right now I know it's a little over but 100% worth it. ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390872042.255422.jpg

6. AlotOfPayne

AlotOfPayne New Member

What's wrong with DPMS guys they make some really nice guns and they have more calibers then any other company in ar-15

7. Sgt_Skrb_25

Sgt_Skrb_25 New Member

Check out Palmetto State Armory, might get a good deal with an optic on it

8. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

What about the M&P sport?

9. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

A lot of guys here will recommend Palmetto state armory and I'm one of them. They can be a bit slow with shipping but the quality is top notch and at a price of a "cheaper" rifle

Windham Weaponry is also a very good rifle at a good price.

The one brand that I refuse to recommend is Bushmaster... They are the exact same rifle as a DPMS at a $200 premium, but everyone seems to flock to them for whatever reason.

10. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The best you can do is a PSA build. Excellent parts at prices that nobody else is willing to compete with (without severely sacrificing quality).

But as a newbie you may be apprehensive about building (that's normal, but building is really easy). If you want a great rifle at a great price, I like this one for $800. After shipping and transfer fees, you're probably out about $860. It's still a great rifle for that price. Per my tastes, I would upgrade the handguard, stock, trigger guard, and maybe grip...in that order. Those upgrades can cost $100 total or $400+, depending on your tastes. But it's a good rifle with an excellent barrel/BCG as-is, and is worthy of future investment.

A PSA build would also be worthy of investment. They often have rifles that are pretty well identical to that $800 Spike's for $900-1000, but include a $400 Aimpoint or EoTech optic. Impossible deal to beat in my opinion.

I'm not aware of any other rifles that can compare with regard to quality at that price. Both Spike's and PSA offer excellent quality at very fair prices.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  11. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

It ain't terrible. They're one of the better 'entry level' deals you're likely to find at your local gun store.

It's pretty much a stripped down $600 rifle, so pay accordingly. But I do appreciate the fact that many cheaper S&W's come with 1:8 barrels.

12. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Look into building your own. Check Palmetto State Armory daily. Should be able to build one for $700 or less.

13. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

I don't really know how or even where to start but sounds interesting

14. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

If your leary about building try ordering a complete lower and your upper of choice. Two pins hold these parts together. This gives you the option of a "custom" rifle at a bargain price...

Try to figure out what kind of shooting you want to do and we can make more specific recommendations. This is just a suggestion off their main sales page. This is way more than a "starter rifle", its what most of us end up with as a carry rifle after owning two or three other guns...

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...wer-magpul-moe-edition-black-no-magazine.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...-length-a2-profile-w-bcg-charging-handle.html

$169 + $399 = $568 + shipping and transfer for a complete rifle! Hard to beat that price anywhere. Add a popup rear sight and a redot and you'll still have money for ammo....;)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  15. ZachRome

ZachRome New Member

Wow.. That's pretty cool. Thank you

16. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member Supporter

Just be aware, ARs are like potato chips. One is never enough....

This is how BRD (black rifle disease) , starts! :D

17. TPower

TPower New Member

18. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

make sure you give armslist.com a look. there are deals to be had on good AR's, if you have a general idea what you are looking for

remember, just like a car, a good AR becomes a used AR the first day you own it!

19. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Arms list has some good deals but they also have a lot of scammers, especially those offering the best deals.
    In my state I'd say 3 out of 4 offerors are scammers.
    To someone who has been around the block they are easy to spot, especially once you start communicating.

If you do use armslist folollow these to avoid scams:

- Buy only from instaters.
    - Be leery of offerors, who list a non-specific location, like " Georgia, intead of say "Savannah Georgia".. Every seler has interest if he is close to a potential buyer to show him that and every legit seller also doesnt want to be messaged by people 5 hours away.. so legit folks put their actual town on there.
    - If someone does want to meet for a face to face bvuy, not evcen in a public loaction . they are likely a scammer. FTF is the easiest way to sell for a legit seller. To not want it ecausethey , sick, out of town, my mom doesnt like it., etc etc is all BS.

Pretty much it all comes down to the face to face meeting.

Legit sellers want it because its fast and cash. Also u will see thetr eis an actual gun for sale....Scammers dont want it because the only way they can scam u is long distance and u send them money and they disappear.

20. fordracing

fordracing Member

Also try Budsgunshop.com.
    Last I looked, you could get a M&P rifle on there for $700 or so.
    I've bought from there and, haven't had a problem yet.

I just looked. $643 and free shipping.