First AR-15 Build!

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by iwasrunning, Sep 18, 2012.

1. iwasrunning

iwasrunning New Member

Lower Parts:
    Stripped Lower: Aero Percision
    http://www.riflegear.com/p-1135-aero-precision-ar15-lower.aspx
    ………………………………………………….. 89.99
    Lower Parts Kit: Stag
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Lower-Parts-Kit-stag-arms-p/stag lpk - semi.htm
    …………………………………………………… 65.95

Buttstock Assembly: Magpul
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-CTR-Stock-Black-p/mag310 black.htm
    ……………………………………………………. 92.15
    https://www.primaryarms.com/Basic_Stock_ARM15207020_Kit_For_Mil_Spec_Stocks_p/pa-sak.htm
    …………………………………………………… 59.99

Total Price for Lower…………………………… 290 + S/H

Complete Upper: Palmetto State Armory
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...pers/psa-16-hammer-forged-m4a1-cmv-upper.html
    ……………………………………………………399.95
    Subtotal for Rifle………………………..………690 + S/H

Tell me what you think. Any suggestions or other comments would be appreciated. I will be buying the lower on friday, starting my first foray into AR-15 building.

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

It could be cheaper if you grab PSA's deal of STR lower kit for $150 shipped.
    But hey.. congrats! And have fun shooting it.
    I'm sure you will be having 2nd, 3rd builds soon.

3. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Why did you choose Aero Precision? Is it the price?

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I did mine over the weekend. I still have to clean the junk out of the chamber area before I can shoot it.

Hopefully this coming weekend.

5. iwasrunning

iwasrunning New Member

I was also looking at a Doublestar or Spikes Lower. However, I heard that there isn't much of a difference when it comes to lowers, as long as it is produced my a well known company. So, yes the price of the Aero was a factor. However I am under budget so I could pay the extra money for a Spikes.

6. iwasrunning

iwasrunning New Member

Thank you very much. I did not see that.

Do you think there will be a drop off in quality in the LPK from the Stag to the PSA?

7. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I never used Stag but LPK is just bunch of springs, detents and pins. So you should be ok.

8. Rarity

Rarity New Member

Sweeeeet, good luck with it.

9. okdonk

okdonk New Member

PSA has the STR kit on special. You might want to get it for your future build :)

10. iwasrunning

iwasrunning New Member

Thank you! Saved me $50! just bought it!

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

You welcome ;)

12. jkemory

jkemory New Member

Just caught your post, I built my first ground up AR a year ago, may I suggest downloading a copy of Brownell's excellent AR assembly instructions, if you haven't already. They made assembly an absolute slam-dunk. As for the LPK fit, a little attention to detail and a soft hand with a set of medium to fine stones and jewelers files can make the trigger action a joy to pull. Don't get carried away just smooth the engagement surfaces and you can drop 2-3 lbs off the trigger pull. Let me know if this was helpful and how your build goes. The beauty of the AR's modular assembly is that you can always upgrade anything you don't like anytime you want.

13. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

Just about to finish mine with the Aero lower and matched upper. Don't do what I did and cheap out on the charging handle. Same day I got my bcg the dpms ****ty handle got tweaked and is binding up on me. Spend the extra cash on a bravo!

14. iwasrunning

iwasrunning New Member

I will be sure to give updates. I only work part time so this will be split up over a few paychecks, but I have ordered my lower build kit from PSA!

15. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

I think PSAs trigger is pretty nice untouched. Although I'm wondering if anyone know's what the stock pull is?

16. iwasrunning

iwasrunning New Member

It has been awhile since I have a update, but I have the lower done now. I purchased a PSA LPK with magpul furniture and a STR stock for 150 off their website. Then I got lucky and was able to buy a PSA blem lower for 60. There was only one small scratch when I picked it up. (I scratched it up more building it, due to it bejg my first build. ) Anyways, I would highly recommend these if you can find one. Next, I purchased a RRA stainless bcg. It was a struggle to find any in stock but once I read reviews on the RRA I was set. I ended up paying 130 from pk firearms. Then I purchased the BCM gunfighter charging handle.

Attached Files:

17. GrtWhytHype

GrtWhytHype New Member

Coming together nicely. If I can make a suggestion...order your barrel NOW! I've just done my first AR build as well. Well almost. I've been waiting for my barrel for 8 months and counting from Wilson Combat. Its rough because by this point I would have normally cancelled the order and gone another route but this is the ONLY supplier that has the barrel with the exact specs that I was looking for. From what I've seen BCG's and barrels are the toughest to come by right now. Good luck and keep us posted.

18. iwasrunning

iwasrunning New Member

Im thinking about ordering a PSA madness 16" complete upper. They have a Christmas special for 300. I am currently a college student so value is at a premium.

I found out the hard way about the BCGs spent 3 weeks looking for one.

19. okdonk

okdonk New Member

They are good value for money...But dont forget they take too long. They said lead time 15 days but its up to 1month. Most said worth waiting. I believe they are well worthy.

20. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

Just to let you know every dealer is backordered right now. My dealer account to three diffrent suppliers is backordered till feb on barrels, lowers, uppers, and bolt assemblys.

If you can get it in a month or less count yourself lucky and order now. Tis the season, plus the election pretty well overloaded the machine shops who actually do the work. :)