First AK, what to get?

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by Zeppelin3k, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Zeppelin3k

Zeppelin3k New Member

Hello
    I am going to be buying an AK-47 soon and wanted some opinions from some of the vets.

heres what im looking to get. I will be using just the receiver and overhauling the rest. See my other thread in the ak section.

Zastava PAP - $420
    [​IMG]

CENTURY ARMS DRACO - $430. (can a butt stock be added to this??)
    [​IMG]

CENTURY INT'L ROMANIAN AK 47 - $465
    [​IMG]

Century Arms WASR10 - 500
    [​IMG]

Looking for something cheap. Can anyone help me out?

2. Blaine

Blaine New Member

I bought a Century WASR-10 under folder last winter and have put 1K rounds through it with no basically no problems. The only problems I have had was the front sites are canted pretty bad. I have had problems cycling some lower grain ammo like Remington UMC.

I paid $470 from CTD. Came with 4 30 round mags.

Overall I am happy with the rifle for the price. Quality will vary from gun to gun.

My WASR-10/63U came with the Tapco G2 trigger.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2011

3. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I would choose the WASR-10/63. As for the Draco you cannot legally add a stock to it due to federal law, it would be classified as a short barreled rifle. If you're buying from the internet I would recommend looking at J and G sales.com . Basically the different from what I can tell is that the 10/63 comes with a tapco magazine and I think trigger.

4. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I just looked at their website, and the biggest different is the bayonet lug, not the magazine or trigger. Sorry about the wrong information.

5. Zeppelin3k

Zeppelin3k New Member

Thanks for the info guys. i was leaning towards the wasr before.

6. Zeppelin3k

Zeppelin3k New Member

thanks for the tip on the j&g website. they got a big selection

7. Korey

Korey New Member

zastava and some wasr10's are single stack magazine
    most ak's are double stack
    single stack = very expensive and hard to find mags and it's a rather pain in the *** conversion to double stack

8. chevyforlife1972nova

chevyforlife1972nova New Member

I would go with a saiga

They are the only true Russian Ak you can get it in almost in any caliber. they are pretty cheap but you do have to do a pistol grip conversion on it but me and my friends all own one me a saiga 223, 2 friends one with a saiga 12 and one a 308 great guns and accurate just food for thought :D

9. Zeppelin3k

Zeppelin3k New Member

hey guys
    I just ordered a 1975 gp ak-47. After asking on several diffrent fourms this seemed like the best bang for the buck. This is also the only place that ive read raving about the WASR, everywhere else the reviews wernt so great.
    Thanks

10. 7.62 Man

7.62 Man New Member

That sounds like a good choice, after you pick it up, let us know how it shoots.
    And post a picture or two, I would like to see it.

11. Zeppelin3k

Zeppelin3k New Member

rodger that