First Aid Kit?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by cpttango30, Mar 7, 2011.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

I am coaching soccer and I need a good quality first aid kit for sports.

I have found some but, they come with a bunch of extra junk in them like leather work gloves and goggles.

Help me out with some sites or places (Brick and mortar) to go look at.

So far of all the places This one looks the best to me.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sports-Medical-Kit-and-Carrier/5026433

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  2. falseharmonix

falseharmonix New Member

Tango,

I have always been under the impression that if you want something done right, do it yourself. IMO, First Aid kits that you buy at stores often just jumble together a few band-aids, some gauze, tape, tylenol, latex gloves, and call it a day.

I personally have a few kits I've put together from stuff at Walgreens (or other pharmacies) that I find to be superior to pre-made kits because they suit my needs. I keep one in my car, one smaller one in my gun bag, one for camping/hiking. If you build yours, you will be able to customize it to your specific needs.

YMMV

3. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

That kit looks good, I'd add some Ace Bandages to retain the reusable ice packs, once applied. Other than that, it seems to have everything! Any injury you are unable to treat is going to be addressed by the ER anyway!!

4. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

5. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I think the idea of assembling your own may be the way to go. Most injuries in soccer are sprains and scrapes, maybe a bloody nose. So a pre-packaged kit will have stuff you wont need and lack stuff you do.

I think a good coaches kit would have,
    ice packs
    ace bandages
    anti bacterial gel
    gauze pad squares, roll
    athletic tape
    box of band aids

I'm sure there's lots of stuff you could throw in but I doubt it would ever be needed.

6. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

7. TGReaper

TGReaper New Member

First Aid Kit

1) Large bottle of whiskey in case of snake bite.
    2) Small snake ( just in case you can't find one when needed)

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Hell, either one of them bags would be proficient, but as mentioned by dog above, the injuries you will see most will be sprains and strains, with a few scraps and injuries due to kicks to the shin or falling. Running head on into one another happens at times as well.

Lots of extra instant ice packs, freeze spray, ace bandages and elastic wrap curlex, tape and maybe some Tylenol or comparable anti-inflammatory. :cool:

9. orangello

orangello New Member

Don't forget the Valium for the parental units and the starter's pistol for the fakers.

10. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Been training kids football for 10 years now. I think the above just about covers it. One point though always check for ahsma sufferers and have their inhalers close to hand.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

12. Mack Bolan

Mack Bolan New Member

may i also suggest throwing in one or more pacifiers for those mouthy parents you might encounter;)

13. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I totally forgot about the "magic" spray! LOL :D I love watching pro soccer and seeing a guy rolling around on the ground in sheer agony ... only to pop right up once the trainer sprays his injury :rolleyes:

Effing puzzies :p

14. Davyboy

Davyboy New Member

Any coach or manager will tell you mouthy parents are the hardest part of the job. Good point Mack

15. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Man, you've never seen 14 year old boys play. My son is a goalie. They won the State championship on his middle school team 1 of 3 years and won their travel teams class A State championship 2 seasons ago. He gets kicked, elbowed...... Tough little *****.

16. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

A few of the people in my class last weekend were really into soccer. Then a guy got a cramp in his calf and 4 guys and the 3 hot chicks yell out "WHERES THE MAGIC SPRAY". They all laughed at me because I had this deer in the headlights look of WTF are you talking about Magic Spray. They were like You don't watch soccer do you. I said nope never really got into it really.

14 year old girls are a lot rougher than I thought they would be last season.

17. Mandy

Mandy New Member

Get one with enough space and a sturdy bag or container, preferably watertight and fill it with whatever you need , that's what I do with my kits, currently I got 3 of this one

131-Piece Personal Safety Industrial Construction First Aid Kit - 94507-80025 at The Home Depot

1 in my truck and the others at the job sites, mine I fill it with my personal extra stuff that I think I may need.

Most kits are crap and full of things you'll never use so I decide on the container for my needs and fill it with my choice of goodies from the local drugstore.