First aid and the different types of wounds?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by dango, Feb 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

There are many types of wounds encountered in the filed and I would like to cover most of them here. We shall pick one and work our way down if it's ok with all of you ?

1-Sucking air wound. Generally , a lung or throat wound.! How do we know it's this type of wound and what are the first thinks we should do ?:)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  2. doc007

doc007 New Member

Which one are you talking about. A sucking chest wound that is causing a tension pneumothorax or a tracheal injury?

3. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Got a couple days? These things take time to learn, and cannot be treated through anything you read on the internet. You need to have intensive training before attempting to treat severe injuries such as you describe.

Is the sucking chest wound just into the chest cavity, or is the lung itself pierced? What is the extent of the wounds to the rest of the area? Are there flailing ribs? Is the person conscious?

Too many questions to even begin to address this sort of intensive first aid in a forum like this.

4. dango

I've got all the time in the world.! :) Being self employed does have it's perks !

Lay it on me Bro. By telling me , we all learn , a plus , plus,! :)

Lets make it a lower left lung bullet wound , then we won't have to get into Myocardial trauma , keep it simple for now , please !

Diagnosis: Broken rib , pierced lower lung , sucking and "gurgling" ?
    Not much visible blood , must be bleeding lung ?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

This is the part where you dial 911. Tell the operator what happened and where your truck is parked. Then you pick your friend up and you get back to the truck ASAP. You are in the woods. Nothing around you is sanitary. You pray that God grants you the strength to save your friends live. That is the best advice I can give you.

6. Husker_RN

Husker_RN New Member

I remember when my old paramedic instructor told my class, "All chest wounds suck to some extent..." :)

7. AR10

AR10 New Member

I think Obamacare should be fine for this. lol

8. dango

Obamination won't help you this time , what can you do to buy your friend some time ? LOL,..... :)

9. dango

That is the sign you need.! It's telling you it didn't hit an artery , but is "Gurgling" and that tells you what and what can you do right now.?

10. doc007

doc007 New Member

32 fr chest tube with one way valve. Occlusive dressing to all open wounds and broad spectrum antibiotics

11. TLuker

TLuker New Member

My friend didn't make it. He had an aorta aneurysm while we were squirrel hunting. I know now that there is nothing I could have done, but I was sure wishing I knew more at the time. I did CPR but I had no clue what was going on other than it was bad.

This is a good thread and hopefully some of you that are much more knowledgeable than the rest of us will expand on it. Every little bit of knowledge helps.

I saw my buddy turning pail and then blue just like someone would from choking. I realize now it was due to a lack of blood circulating and bringing fresh oxygen to tissue. Lack of oxygen can result from a blocked airway, but it can also result from blood not circulating. In my buddies case it was not circulating because he bled out internally from the aneurysm. His autonomic nervous system caused him to gasp for air despite not being conscious but there was no blood to circulate the air in his lungs. The heart stopping would also cause blood not to circulate.

I'm just passing that on to hopefully help others better understand the circulatory system and what happens when it quits.

12. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There is absolutely nothing you could have done. Almost always these situations are fatal, even if they happen on the operating table during open heart surgery. You could not have even eased his pain really.

Hope it didn't ruin squirrel hunting for you.

13. doc007

doc007 New Member

Less than 1 in 5 people who are in the hospital survive a massive aortic rupture.
    Without trying to be calloused I think it is a good way to die if you are doing what you love when your time comes. The Vikings would say it is good to die with a sword in your hand

14. TLuker

TLuker New Member

He went the way he would have wanted to go, in the woods with his rifle slung across his back. He just went way to soon and left to many behind. And it didn't ruin squirrel hunting for me. I decided this year to go at least once a year and kill everything that moves in remembrance.

I know there's nothing I could have done, but that experience showed me just how unprepared most of us are for emergencies. And how little we understand about how the body works, and what happens when it isn't working. So anything that anyone can add about serious injuries and treating them will be appreciated. Calling 911 would be ideal but that isn't always an option.

15. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

Yikes!

Had a friend die from a self inflicted GSW to the right temple when he dropped a .22lr revolver. I now own it and keep it as a treasured possession. Some might say its wrong but...

No one here is looking for how to CURE severe trauma. We are looking for ways to buy as much time as possible. With a sucking wound, can I use my hand to help by covering it? As an example.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A sucking wound should be sealed, plastic cling wrap (like Saran Wrap) works perfectly. You want to prevent any air from being able to enter the chest cavity as that prevents the lung from inflating properly.

Seriously, take some first aid classes. I have taken some from the Red Cross that were very helpful. The Mountaineering First Aid class is top notch, given a good instructor. Here is a link to the syllabus. http://www.redcrossstore.org/Shopper/Product.aspx?uniqueitemid=543

17. emsLE84

emsLE84 New Member

What vikingdad said...... Occlusive dressing taped down on three sides to buy time for emergency services...

image-1078205187.jpg

18. BigByrd47119

BigByrd47119 New Member

It was a rhetorical question but...yea, thanks anyways :)

I was trying to steer the conversation away from the severe sarcasm...at least I got that much achieved...

19. dango

That's it , seal the wound and seek help cause you have know way to know how bad he's bleeding other than pulse a heart rate.!Heart rate is important!

20. doc007

doc007 New Member

Having personally treated over 75 penetrating chest traumas I stand by my initial answer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.