First .22

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by TrueNorth, Mar 14, 2010.

1. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Hey all, I'm new to the firearms world (if you read my intorduction thread you'll know that already).

Anyways, I'm just starting out and am looking for a good beginner .22 rimfire rifle. I'm not too sure what I want, however it will mostly be used for just plinking and practice.
    I do like good ol' bolt actions, but I think I want a semi-auto just so i can pound out rounds quick and get my skill level up.

I do plan to keep it for awhile - so good quality is a factor, and price is not really consideration, provided its not made of gold :)

Does any one have a particular rifle that they're happy with and would recommend (or advise to stay away from) or even just brands that i could research up on?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Well, from the keep long term, quality and price factor I would have to say the Ruger 10/22.

There is literally tons of aftermarket stuff for the 10/22 so if you wanna upgrade or make better or more fun, that is the rifle. Jmho.

Semi-auto. High cap mags are plentiful.

Oh, we have a resident professional gunsmith here that can turn the WalMart 10/22 into a great shooter. :)

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Marlin model 60, purchased 1967 for ~$39.

Yea I like it and I think it's quality, durability speak for its self!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. lastrebel70

lastrebel70 New Member

Well first off welcome to the forum and as for which rifle, my personal opinion would be either a Marlin Model 60 or a Ruger 10/22. I have both and the Marlin was my first rifle. I shot it for years with never any problems as long as I kept it clean. As for the Ruger, I have had it for a long while also and never any problems with it either. They are both accurate for plinking and very dependable.

5. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Welcome to there fine forums!

The marlin 60 is great and so is the ruger 10/22. My favorite is the remington .597. :cool:

6. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Right on, I'm hearing a lot of support for the Ruger 10/22. I'm also hearing that they have an amazing cult-status with modifications.

Are they good straight from the box, or am I going to want to invest in enough mods to build a second rifle?

Also, what's the reliability of the 10-rd rotating mags, and the 25-30rd box mags.

I have a friend who's got a 50 round mag but says its a bit touchy.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Lots of fun right out of the box but, of course, you'll want to add a scope. You don't have to spend a lot of money on one (you'll need rings, too).

I highly recommend a trigger job from Stalkingbear, one of our esteemed members. It will help you a lot with your accuracy.

I have had no problems with the stock magazines. Can't speak to the higher capacity mags, but you can buy extra 10-shot mags for pretty cheap.

8. ScottG

ScottG New Member

The rifle you really want is a Henry....

9. Madderdaddy

Madderdaddy New Member

henry's are nice and so is the model 60, ( i have both ), However if you are looking to hone your skills check out a bolt action. The reason i am saying is because with a semi people tend to just put out lead real fast instead of concentrating on posture, breathing, grip.... also another factor is that bolt actions tend to be more accurate because of certain tolerances

10. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Much to be said for a good inexpensive Marlin rifle...

The Marlin 25MN in .22WMR (used-$80)
    [​IMG]

The Marlin 795 with Ramline stock (New-$109 + stock-$14.95)
    [​IMG]

If you prefer old-style, the Marlin 989-M2
    [​IMG]

Or, the MOST POPULAR .22LR RIFLE OF ALL TIME, the MARLIN 60 with over 12 million sold!!!
    [​IMG]
    Hey, wifey wanted pink stripes...what can ya do...LOL

And there are plenty of nifty accessories for the Marlin 60/795's!!
    In fact, most of the Ruger stuff can be used on Marlins as well!!!

11. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

I think I'm starting to see where the 10/22 gets its modification reputation.

What can a 22rimfire take down hunting-wise, just varmints - or not even that?

BTW, I'm also considering a Beretta 92fs or Colt 1911. Now by law its not supposed intended to be used for self-defense in Canada (though not illegal) - so officially I'm NOT considering it for that purpose. BUT...hypothetically speaking if a situation occurred where a person was trying to stop another person from doing them harm. would anyone here recommend the use of a 9mm, .40 cal, or .45cal. or would it not really matter. Which one is more fun to fire at the range also?

12. 375shooter

375shooter New Member

I have a CZ 452 .22 LR. It shoots 3/4" at 50 yards with Rem. Yellow Jackets and easily dispatches game up to the size of groundhogs.

I range fired a 9mm, 40 S&W and 45 Colt plus a 44 Mag. I found the 45 the most fun. I'm a fan of the single action revolver.

13. TrueNorth

TrueNorth New Member

Alright, so it would looks like I'm going for a ruger K10/22-T - seems to be a good version right out of the box. Stainless steel barrel I'm thinking is better than blued for rust resistance.

I was thinking of the 10/22 RPB carbine, but it seems like that one is more suited for customization and for the moment I just want a plain ol' out of the box gun.

Feel free to caution me if I'm making a mistake though!

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

If you want a basic .22, it's hard to beat the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60. Either one of those rifles will do you very well.

I'm partial myself to the Smith & Wesson AR15-22. But I'm not sure it's legal in Canada.

As for your self defense questions... I prefer the 1911 design to the Beretta. The Beretta just doesn't feel good in my hands. Now that doesn't mean anything as to which is a better gun. Try them out and see which feels better to you. Try out a lot of others as well. For me, I love the feel of a Springfield XDm.

Round size is a debate that will continue to go for centuries. 9mm would be the least expensive alternative. .45 is the most expensive of the three, but big holes stop threats faster (so the theory goes). I prefer .40 for my SD gun.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  15. PTsouthpaw

PTsouthpaw New Member

The 10/22 is a great gun. I'm not sure if you are planning on scoping the gun or not, but with that particular model you will not have iron sights, so scoping will be necessary.

When scoping a rifle, good mounts/rings are important. this is what i have on my 10/22, and it works excellently:
    Ruger 10-22-one inch scope tube-Low Mount-Black [11080] - $59.95 : Welcome To DNZProducts.com. When Accuracy is a Must, Choose...DNZ Products, Made from top grade billet aluminum, When Accuracy is a Must, Choose...DNZ Products

When I first added a scope to my 10/22, I made the mistake of using cheap rings. I couldn't get it to hold zero. I could sight it in, but when I traveled, something was moving. I saw this one on sale at MidwayUsa, and gave it a try.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  16. Canon1DsMKIV

Canon1DsMKIV New Member

You can never go wrong with a good old bolt-action Cooey. However if you want to go the semi route then the Ruger 10/22, Rem 597 or the Marlin 60 are all excellent options.

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

I tend to lean toward a good quality bolt action as a first. You may decide that it's all you will need. If you are dead set on a semi-auto, then the 10-22 is a good choice. They are accurate, reasonably priced and there is no shortage of cool goodies for them.

18. huntinhick

huntinhick New Member

have you thought of a .17 hmr or .17 m2 ill tell you from experiance im 18 years old (young i know) i bought an old savage .22 when i was 9 when i purchased my .17hmr it blew my mind the accuracy, and devastating ballistics that the tiny cartridge could produce

19. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

But much more expensive to shoot.

Had one myself, but sold it. Just wasn't shooting it enough compared to my .22

20. huntinhick

huntinhick New Member

yes i will admit it is much more expensive to shoot, and sorry about the last message i left out the fact that if you were going to go with a .22, i would suggest a ruger 10/22, accurate, dependable, an insane number of after market parts and accessories, even today while ordering my new rifle at a local gun shop i saw a ruger 10/22 action with a pistol like stock and a short barrel pretty much a conversion to a pistol, it is amazing the things you can turn the good ole ruger in to, but any way you go trust me you will enjoy shooting it was always and still is my favorite hobby, and hopefully is leading to my future career as a marine scout sniper