first 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by comeback_kid, Dec 25, 2011.

1. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

I got a Springfield range officer for Christmas today. This is my first 1911 and only my second pistol; my first being a ruger 22/45. I wanted a mil spec or gi model (I prefer the plain Jane look) but due to poor salesmanship I got a range officer. I have always hated the giant rear sight. Anyways now that I got that out of my system... I do LOVE this gun. I have been fondling her all day only dreaming of the moment I finally get the chance to run some 230 grain 45 ACP through this fine piece of machinery. The weight and the cold hard steel with the wooden grips just feels so damn good in my hand. I am not an expert but the trigger is my favorite out of all my guns. This is just a beautiful tool that I am confident will bring me years of pleasure; being my first 1911 it has a special place in my heart and I will treat her with the respect and care she deserves. Bad cell phone pic- hopefully soon I will get my moms camera and get some good photos. Would yall reccomend I fieldstrip it and clean her up before I go shooting? I mean its clean but I think I remember reading something where this guy wad talkin about how he likes to remove the old oil and relube before he shoots a brandnew 1911. Any tips or reccomendations are welcome. Merry Christmas

Attached Files:

2. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Congrats on the new piece, its really up to you on what you do before you shoot her. You can field strip her,give her a basic visual inspection and make sure that the rails are lubed, then reassemble...or just lock the slide back and run a dry patch through the barrel. Either way is fine

Enjoy your first 1911

3. kalepas

kalepas New Member

I field striped my RO the day I bought mine and found that the rails needed some extra live from what the factory applied! Enjoy! Shoots like a dream!

4. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

just to add, once you field strip/clean. reassemble take to the nearest range, load a Magazine, insert said magazine, activate the "bang" switch , clean, Repeat. enjoy!

5. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

That's a great Xmas gift!... Enjoy it!

6. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

Nice lookin' machine ya' got there! YES, go through it before you cap any rounds in it.

7. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

Everything I have read advertises this as the basic competition ready gun. Im sure you could win with plain gi models but ill take every advantage I can get haha. I have never competed but it has always been a dream of mine. Now that I got my 1911, once I run some rounds through her and gain some practice I will definitely get competitive- competition just seems like a lot of fun to me. I know a guy who shoots IDPA I will have to talk to him about that and get involved. I've just never had a gun to bring.

MrWray- Thanks, and I will

Kalepas- Great to hear!

rigjumpr- That's the plan... hopefully tomorrow I will be able to shoot. I've just been so busy with Christmas stuff that I haven't been able to get down to a safe shooting location. I fear that once I start, my wallet will slim down significantly.

Jkl- yes it is! and yes I will!

MarkF- I have decided I will- It seems to be well lubed but the lube seems kind of "gritty". Plus it will just be nice to get to know my gun before I even shoot it.

EDIT: Shes cleaned- relubed, and ready for action

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. edehn

edehn New Member

Me, Too!

I must have been a good boy last year, cause Sandy Claws dropped my new (to me) Springer under the tree! Can't wait to get her out to the range and get a few rounds down the pipe! Here are a couple happy snaps...

Attached Files:

9. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Nice pistol Kid. I know what you mean about that rear sight & prefer the Novak ramp sight like the Loaded has. But take it to the range & try it out before changing it. Might actually end up liking it. If this was a display pistol, the preservative they usually come with may have been cleaned off, but it is fun to field strip, inspect, clean & relube a new pistol, even if it isn't needed. :)

But, if th preservative has not been cleaned off, then I'd suggest you do that. That stuff is not a good lubricant & heat from shooting can cause it to turn real sticky. Could cause some unnecessary mis-feeds, etc. which dosn't make for a fun first range trip.

10. woody63m

woody63m New Member

Mad jealous your realllllllllll lucky

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

SUPER Spiffy Springer :cool:

12. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Enjoy brother...some things come and some things go,but your firearms will last you a lifetime..And give you a lifetime of enjoyment.

13. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

Edehn- nice gun I love the 2 tone. Like I mentioned earlier I really love the look of a basic GI model.. but some of these higher end guns with all the frills can be really pretty.

Gollygee- yep, the sight LOOKS stupid but it may end up being my favorite. No way of knowing until I send some lead down range. The fact its adjustable has its pros and cons.

It may not have been my favorite 1911 when I was looking.. But now that its mine I wouldn't trade it for a mil spec or a GI or a colt. Like now that its mine its automatically the prettiest and best 1911 in my eyes. I'm 19 years old its 2011 and I got my first 1911. This gun is gonna be special I can feel it ( I ain't really superstitious but its still special). I'm dyin to shoot her.. gonna have to figure something out tomorrow. I hope its sighted in out the box. If it ain't... No big deal. I will gladly adjust those sights

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  14. Rellek2020

Rellek2020 New Member

Comeback_kid,
    Very nice and a great first 1911 for you. You will love this firearm

15. se3388

se3388 New Member

Thems some real nice shootin irons there boys.

Steve E...........

16. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

Yep, I've never actually shot a 1911. I've held one before, and admired their beauty- done lots of online reading and research and watched numerous videos. This will be the 1911 I lose my virginity to. I ve shot .45 long colt and an old colt 380 pocket pistol but have never fired anything chambered in .45 ACP. I am growing restless.

17. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

Went to the range today... Shot 175 rounds. She ran real smooth but all my shots were going to the left in a tight group. The black sights wer hard to see on the black Target. I couldn't figure out if it was me pulling/pushing it to the left or if the sights needed adjustment. I had shot 175 rounds and then I went to reload and noticed the pin that goes in the rear sight had come out. The dude who works there said it would take 2 weeks to fix; if I sent it to him or Springfield. I still got the gun I need a few more opinions before I decide what to do. Here's pics if you look carefully in the second you can see the pin sticking out. He said in order to push it back in you gotta pull the sight off. I may want to get some new sights but I haven't decided yet. The black on black sucks when you're aiming at a black target. Plus I ain't fond of the look, and with that pin issue I have even greater distaste for the sight. Other than that though( which sucks ) I really do love this gun. I love everything from the recoil to the trigger to the sound to the way it looks when its got burnt powder all over the end of the barrel...

Edit: I was with my uncle when we were shooting and after the pin came out he drove me down to his friends who's a gun smith... Idk if they know what they are doing or what but they just tapped the pin back in there... Which is what I would have done but the dude who worked at the range/store said you had to pull the sight off to get it back on. He might have been full of it but what he was sayin made sense. That gunsmith we saw was talkin about how I should get a trigger job done and night sights... I was just like no thanks man... But if this pin keeps coming out I might go with some 3 dot fixed sights... Or 3 dot adjustable... I'm just gonna keep shooting this thng and see what happens. I think the grouping to the left was from anticipation. The gunsmith kept calling my gun a GI model lol

Update: I'm hoping that the pin doesnt come back out again... I would hate to send it in and be without it for a month. I am hoping that I can start hitting where I aim.. I am pretty darn good with my little ruger 22 45- but that's a 22. But I did notice a pushing motion and it's obvious I am "pushing/anticipating" but I don't how how I am gonna fix it. No matter how hard I tried at the range I couldn't quit. The only way I could hit the center was if I aimed to the right

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  18. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Hey Comeback, I just picked up a SA RO a couple months back and it is a dream to shoot however I am with you on the sights. They are pretty hard to pick up, once I finally get work figured out and get some free time I'm going to paint the ramp on the front sight to see if that helps and if it doesn't I was planning on going with the sights that come on the loaded model. They seem to function a little better. But overall you are pretty lucky to have one of those dropped in your lap for Christmas congradulations.

19. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Yesterday while at the range I caught myself not ensuring I had equal space between both sides of the front sight post when I shot to the right a couple of groups. This issue with not being able to see the sights easily sounds like your problem to me, especially if you are not doing so with your other handguns. I have a Taurus PT1911 , which everyone seems to hate, yet I haven't had any trouble out of, so sight acquisition isn't a problem for me. Go ahead and buy some night sights, you will be glad you did.

20. undumb

undumb New Member

My wife surprised me with a Springfield 1911-A1 on Christmas eve, I could barely sleep that night. I don't know enough about them to know what style it is( mil spec, RO, loaded, etc.) . won't get the chance to shoot it for a few more weeks.