First 1911.....

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by DrGonzo11, Aug 29, 2009.

1. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I'm getting my first 1911 tonight, a Stainless Steel Springfield 1911-a1 GI. I was hoping to upgrade the sights and maybe eventually the Trigger, hammer and get a match barrel. Anyone have any suggestions for a good source for quality parts?

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

Brownells, midwayusa, 1911pistols.com

:cool:

How much you giving for the GI if you don't mind?

I've looked at some around here and they seem like a good deal.

3. General_lee

General_lee New Member

Congrats on the 1911, DrGonzo!
    Thats the same exact 1911 I have on layaway.

4. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Thanks, I'm excited. $500 w/ hard case, paperwork, holster, mag pouch and 4 mags(3 are wilson combat 8rnd mags). Pretty much new, he put 50 rounds through it.

5. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Fire it before you upgrade it. You may like how it handles. There's something nice about firing a GI spec 1911.

6. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm with the Sarge on this one. Shoot it for a while before any changes.

7. NGIB

NGIB New Member

FYI, to change the hammer requires a new beavertail as well. Also, changing just the hammer can lead to problems and I always replace the hammer, sear, and disconnector as a matched set - as they're "machined" together.

Another good source of parts is Fusion Firearms. This is the kit going into the wide-body Para P16 I just picked up on a trade:

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servlet/the-302/Trigger-group-1911-dsh--WIDE/Detail

8. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would have to agree with the advice you have been given. You need to put at least 800 rounds through the weapon before even considering changing anything.

Right out of the box, it might take a bit of time to work in and shoot to the truest performance of the weapon. Then again it could be a tack driver and you could immediately put aside changing a damn thing. :D

Let us know how she shoots with a Range Report.

JD

9. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Thanks Guys, Will Do! Did I do good at $500???

Here's a pic if anyone is curious...

[​IMG]

10. CA357

I don't know what prices are where you live, but for here in CA, that's a screamin' deal. :cool:

11. General_lee

General_lee New Member

NICE! Yep, that is the same one I have. To tell you the truth, I like that version better than most of the more fancy 1911's.

12. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

That's everything you need right there! How does it shoot?

Range report!!!

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

For $500?!?! I would have bought that all day and twice on Sunday. That is a great deal in these parts as well.

Where is my Range Report?!?!

14. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Very nice piece dr.,,,, enjoy and like the fellows have stated,,, put alot of rounds through the arm to give it a good break in,, clean often,,, before deciding how and ,, if,,, there are any alterations you would want to make.
    You will be more able to determine better what options you would get the most enjoyment from,, if any.

Good shooting,
    Jeff

15. hogger129

hogger129 New Member

16. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

I just got it yesterday!! Geez!:D As soon as the boss lets me out to shoot it I'll post a report.:)

I'm going to try and get my Mom to watch my 5 month old for a few hours on tuesday so I can go to the range.

17. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Need a bit of advice, one thing I want to do is do something with the recoil spring to tame it, I was thinking about getting a "Wilson Combat 1-Piece Full Length Recoil Spring Guide Rod with Recoil Spring Plug 1911 Government Stainless Steel". Does anyone have any experience with these? Will it help at all??

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

What are you trying to tame out? The recoil? Or the snap of the slide?

If you are shooting high pressure loads, I would recommend a higher rated recoil spring to ease the wear and tear on the weapon. I don't think you need to dump the whole recoil guide rod though, unless you have one of the small, stubby ones and want a full length.

Can you post a picture of what you have in the weapon now?

JD

19. DrGonzo11

DrGonzo11 New Member

Tame the spring itself. Its just the standard gov't spring and its hard to re-assemble and it seems to make the slide difficult to slide all the way back at first when re-installing it, like it gets caught. I don't see any bends or kinks it it though.

20. CA357

You said this is your first 1911. My suggestion is to get used to it in its stock configuration, spring and all. The spring will work in after some time.

Give it a really good cleaning and lube it well. Make sure the slide rails are well lubed. Then shoot the hell out of it. Clean and repeat. :D

I assure you that after some hundreds of rounds and a number of cleanings, it will smooth out nicely.