first 1911 help, but 9mm

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by marshall, Feb 10, 2011.

1. marshall

marshall New Member

Hey Folks,

I'll be getting my first 1911 and i want it to be in 9mm format. This will be for gun range fun so i want it to be cheaper when buying ammo.

Specifically, after reading around on threads and learning some minor things on materials. Stainless steel is probably the best since, for me it looks better for style. Also, less maintenance (surface maintenance) versus parkerized.

So can you assist on a stainless steel 9mm 1911? I saw the Springer Loaded and Targets. difference in those? Bud's has them sold out but on my wish list. My LGS has .45acp which i don't want. I saw a couple of Para's on Buds for about 800 900.

Folks recommended me the RIA Tactical for 429 NIB but i wasn't too keen on the idea on the parkerization and the maintenance on it.

My original budget was 600 - 700 but being that my criteria is a little specific. Stainless, 9mm and 1911 model, i may have to increase my budget.

What can i do, if i have to, for 1k or under. I got my tax return and some money from an inheritance but i don't want to go through all of that.

thanks!

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Until Rock Island got in the 9mm 1911 game, they were all very pricey. I think Taurus has advertised a 9mm 1911 as well but it may just be a mirage as they has a habit of doing that. Not sure what your worries are with parkerized guns or what maintenance issues you're concerned about. I have a number of parked guns and they don't require any special care - no more than blued guns. Also, stainless WILL corrode just like any steel - it's just more resistant...

3. marshall

marshall New Member

because i'm doing my research i had registered on another site as well and i got this from another site on parkerization.

or am i just over analyzing?

I still wasn't understanding the difference between parkerization and blued.

Again, i'm new to the firearm world so i dont know much maintenance it'll be and making sure i get the right tools,wipes,cleaners/oils.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  4. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yup I think you're overly concerned where none is warranted. Both blueing and parkerization are chemical processes that change the surface of the steel to provide corrosion resistance. Blueing tends to be more costly than parkerizing simply because the surface prep for blueing (some serious polishing & buffing) is labor intensive. Again, any steel will corrode if left in a poor environment but with reasonable care there's nothing to worry about...

5. marshall

marshall New Member

well that's good then.

Do you have recommendations? This weekend my county will be having a gun show and i'll be checking out. depending on there, i may or may not make my first purchase.

What other names does the 1911 go by? I've seen like GI Expert, American Classic Commander and it confuses me when looking.

two of my LGS have 1911 but not in 9mm. just the PT 1911 which i was thinking of getting, but people say 600 is too much for it.
    i really love the mods on it.

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have very little experience with 9mm 1911s. They are a fairly rare breed as most folks that want a 1911 want it in .45 ACP. I did own an Armscor for a while and it was a good gun. I am not a Taurus fan but their 1911 is an OK gun and I've owned a couple (in .45). You are going to be at the mercy of the sellers probably as 9mm 1911s just aren't that common. If it was me, and I cound find a Rock Island Tactical (dovetailed sights, beavertail, etc.) I'd go down that path...

7. marshall

marshall New Member

thanks.

this guy?
    Rock Island 1911 9MM Tactical Handgun Part #AC-RI1911TACA 9MM

say i went this route below for a .45acp
    http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AC-RI1911TAC-NP.aspx
    would it be easy? cheap to convert to a 9mm? Even worth it?

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

9. marshall

marshall New Member

i can't tell with the picture, maybe it's just my rookie noticing it. but does it have the extended ejector port?

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

i choose parkerized over stainleess. i like the look of parkerized or blued better. never had an issue with parkeried weapons in the military in humid salty environments. doesnt take much but a oily rag and an occasional wipe to keep em good.

if you like the look of stainless go for it. but i dont find them any better than parkerization for upkeep.

11. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Yes it will have a flared & lowered ejection port. The only real value is it keeps the brass from being dented if you reload. One thing for you to consider is that 1911s have always needed quality magazines to run properly. There is a large market for quality 1911 magazines for .45 ACP caliber guns so makers such as Tripp & Wilson satisfy that need. Most folks use these high quality magazines as the factory mags are generally not that good. As far as quality magazine support for 9mm 1911s - I really don't know as they are not that common and only recently have companies like Taurus & Rock Island entered the market. Just food for thought...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  12. marshall

marshall New Member

thanks for the info. i have noticed on threads about people immediately getting new mags and specifically talking about Wilson.

13. oldcoptn46

oldcoptn46 Member Supporter

You cetainly won't go wrong with Wilson mags.

14. marshall

marshall New Member

can someone tell me the differences between a springer loaded and a target? is it just the sights?

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Loaded's generally have night sights, Loaded Targets have adjustable sights. I own one of each...

16. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

And since you have two, I think you should make me a deal on one of them. I have a J-Frame .38spcl plus some cash with your name on it....

17. marshall

marshall New Member

for a first timer purchase, which is a better preference you think?

both are gunbroker nib for about 950 and may have to bite the bullet soon.

18. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The target models are usually a little tighter fit than the loaded models. This can lead to better accuracy to be honest the gain you get is not so much that it makes one model better over another. I have a 9mm target model and it is an extreamly accurate pistol. But with that comes the less places dirt can get into it because it is really tight fit. And it would not be good to carry around or leave in a night stand to keep the house safe.

If it was me and this was a first or a one gun house situation I would lean to the loaded over a target model. You can always upgrade it later if that's your preference.

19. marshall

marshall New Member

thanks for the info.

though i'm a little confused though. what do you mean by it would not be a good to carry around or leave in a night stand to keep the house safe?

20. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I target model is fit tighter therefore has less places for dirt to get. So if you are carrying a really tight fit weapon it can get dirt in places that can make it not work properly.Same can be said about leaving it in some nightstand drawer.