first 12 gauge

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by randy420, Apr 24, 2013.

1. randy420

randy420 New Member

Remington 870, Winchester sxp black shadow, stoeger condor or uplander. I can't decide.

Hunting, recreational shooting, laser boresighter to mess with the neighbor's cat. Etc.

2. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

My first 12 was the condor, have many others now but the condor is still in my hands the most. I recommend the condor!

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

Out of those guns definitely the Winchester sxp I like stoegers but I wouldn't get an over and under or side by side for a first shotgun

4. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Either of the pumps. They will outlive either Stoeger.

5. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

I won't ever buy a side-by-side, harder to aim and awkward feeling. But I'll always have an over and under

6. mchoitz

mchoitz New Member

I find it hard to believe that all the moving and rubbing parts in a pump will outlast the simplicity of an over and under

7. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

I wasn't talking about a Krieghoff, a Browning, or a Beretta, I was talking about the Stoeger. The SxSs, the simple ones with extractors and two triggers are fasirly popular with the Cowboy set, who are VERY hard on guns in my opinion, because they are pretty tough. The single trigger models have had tons of problems. The Stoeger O/Us are have also proven problem prone. Yes I know some people have one and think they are great, but they usually haven't shot them a lot. Lots of pumps have gone well over 100,000 rounds. The loadings on a pump's parts just from working the action are not great, and steel is tough. If it wasn't wheel bearings wouldn't go 200,000 miles.The hinge points are not usually what goes first on a two barrel gun. It's those small internal parts.

8. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea but for the price of those krieghoffs a man could but a lot of stoegers or Hell even quite a few Browning and berettas lol

9. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

Although I'm no fanboy(had one, sold it, shoulda kept it) I'd choose the 870. There are more after market parts for the 870 than almost any other firearm made.

10. BULLET9992

BULLET9992 New Member

Remington 870 is battle tested. Also has a huge aftermarket, is not picky on ammo, & great to shoot. 9/10 pump action 12ga shot guns all do the same things & feel similar. It all boils down to track record for me.

11. akers06

akers06 New Member

Well the 870 fans are the first to show up just wait a little bit and the 500 fans will show up and then we will have another 870 vs 500 thread Smh

12. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Sad but true akers. How do people find gun forums and then can't use the search feature?

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

Yea I know it seems like 90% of the threads get turned into this argument

14. BULLET9992

BULLET9992 New Member

500 is good too, so is the 590. It's all preferance, what are you looking for in your 1st 12ga & what's your price range?

15. akers06

akers06 New Member

See told ya lol

16. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Akers arrives at the correct answer although I would probably look at it from the other (quality) side of the issue: which of these guns would you suggest I DON'T buy. The answer is the same...

17. monroe45CAL

monroe45CAL New Member

I got a stoger model 2000 12 gauge semi auto and i love it. Sxp is good to and cheaper.

18. randy420

randy420 New Member

Nothing more than $500.

19. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Gotta get a benelli nova-best shotgun ive ever had but it took me awhile to get used to composite stock. There around $400 for a 12 ga.

20. cottontop

cottontop Guest

side x sides

Once you have shot birds w/ a nicely made well balanced side x side, no other type of shotgun will do.
    ct