firing pin question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by cerd71, Apr 15, 2013.

1. cerd71

cerd71 New Member

I noticed that my Kel Tec P11 has a very dull tip. Its about 4 times wider than any firing pin on any other firearm I own. The P3AT however, has a much finer tip. Is it possibly to safely file a slight bevel on the tip of a firing pin to reduce the light strikes? I understand that too much of a bevel would form a point, possibly puncturing the primer. Im just wondering if a very faint bevel would help.

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Is the tip "mushroomed"?

Is it giving you unreliable ignition?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you are getting light strikes that cause FTF, I would look elsewhere for the problem. Unlikely it is the firing pin(though possible).

4. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Parts online from Kel-Tec are EXTREMELY inexpensive. I bought 3 of every part I thought could possible break on my gun for $40

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

If your not getting any FTF's leave it be-
    Had the same gun & had no problems with it except---well----for another time :eek:

6. cerd71

cerd71 New Member

Im not sure if its damaged honestly. I bought it used and KT is out of stock of them. It just seems like a very broad tip...almost flat. It didnt fire every time and when it did, the primer still looked completely flat. It almost looked like the dent that's usually in the primer was filled in.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Seems you need a new one-
    Numrich is sold out----
    Common problem with that Mdl mabe :confused:

8. cerd71

cerd71 New Member

It sticks out .0515" but it just seemed really blunt. I bought a p3at pin just to see what the tip looks like and it put mine to shame. But that's comparing not only 2 models, but .380 to a 9. I dont quite know how they differ.

9. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Yes it sounds like you might need a new firing pin but as far as the primer looking flat or "filled in", thats called primer flow and is common on KT's because the firing pin hole is usually oversized and there is considerable space between the FP and the hole that allows the pressure inside of the case to push the primer back into that whole some. Stay tuned, I will post a pic of my spent cases from my PF9

10. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

Here is my spent brass

Attached Files:

11. danf_fl

Are you sure that the pin is not broken?

Contact Kel-Tek. Ask about warranty.

12. fa35jsf

fa35jsf New Member

13. cerd71

cerd71 New Member

That looks almost exactly like mine. I dont even have the fine divot like yours though. Its almost flat across. I snipped a few coils off the FP spring to make sure it hits. But it leaves a wider pit. I'll try to post a pic myself. It sounds like I a new pin would do the trick. I lightened my trigger to 7lbs however, so I may still have to trim the spring, but not as much. Fa35, you have already been more help than the guys on KTOG.

14. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

15. cerd71

cerd71 New Member

The left one is how it looked after I first bought it used. The second one was after I shortened the FP spring. Its hard to see, but about half of the whole primer is dented in because my FP is so blunt.

BTW, Kel Tec was out out of the pins when I looked last week, but I will for sure keep my eyes peeled and order a few spares. Thanks a bunch!!

Attached Files:

16. danf_fl

"Snipping" springs is not a recommended fix.

That could create more problems.

On the small handgun like the P3AT, getting a "Trigger tune" job is better.

One safety function is the heavy trigger pull. It requires a deliberate pull to fire. Lightening the trigger pull could set up unintended discharge.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

WHY did you shorten the FP spring?

18. cerd71

cerd71 New Member

It was suggested to me that the pin may be struggling to hit the primer. Some other sites mentioned shortening it. Obviously I know why it wasn't hitting now. I emailed KT since they were out of stock and they said they'd find me a new pin, spring, and screw.

19. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Know you know why you shud only ask us :p

20. cerd71

cerd71 New Member

Don't take this personally, but fa35jsf was the only that could tell me if there was something wrong with my firing pin. Everyone else, including you would have led me to the wrong conclusion. The opinions and perspectives of the members on this forum aren't exactly a reliable source of info, but there is a tidbit of good information every now and then.