FirearmsTalk fails McAfee authorization

Discussion in 'FirearmsTalk Support and Suggestions' started by IXLR8, Jan 8, 2011.

1. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

When I receive mail from FireArmsTalk, or links, or try to navigate to it, I get a warning to proceed from my McAfee Antivirus. It lists all all of the sites linked to by advertising, and warns sternly about proceeding to FT.

This has just started in last few days. No other sites have given me this warning.

Here is what was on the screen (although most of it was a graphic depiction of the site):

firearmstalk.com

McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential suspicious behavior on this site which may pose a security risk. Use with caution.
    Are you the owner of this site? Leave a comment
    What is TrustedSource™?
    Contact information: Popularity

Many users
    AUTOMATED WEB SAFETY TESTING RESULTS FOR FIREARMSTALK.COM

E-MAIL TESTS FOR FIREARMSTALK.COM:
    DOWNLOAD TESTS FOR FIREARMSTALK.COM:
    ONLINE AFFILIATIONS FOR FIREARMSTALK.COM:

Linked to green sites
    When we visited this site, we found that most of its links are to sites which are safe or have only minor safety/annoyance issues.
    ANNOYANCES FROM FIREARMSTALK.COM:
    REVIEWER AND WEB SITE OWNER COMMENTS

USER REVIEW SUMMARY FOR FIREARMSTALK.COM

2. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

Admin,

Email me and I will send the screen capture with all of the info. Use my account address. It is too big to post.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'm sure notdku will appreciate and look into your findings.

Not to make light of this but it wouldn't surprise me that a libritard leaning philosophy at McAfee Antivirus is at play when its webz crawler stumbles across the word firearms.

Attached Files:

4. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

I subscribe to many similar forums. This is the only one with the warning. And it just started yesterday. Perhaps the sysadmin knows why that would be. I am just trying to make them aware of the potential problem.

5. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Are you still getting it?

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Some time ago, I was getting a weird warning from my antivirus software for a while, but i figured out it was some weird lil trojan horse crap on my laptop & nixed it. I guess it just thought it was FTF, in my case.

7. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

Still getting the warning:

McAfee TrustedSource web reputation analysis found potential suspicious behavior on this site which may pose a security risk. Use with caution.
    Are you the owner of this site? Leave a comment
    What is TrustedSource™?

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I don't get that from McAfee and I have my settings pretty high. Maybe look at your settings. Could be from the pron or all the misc stuff like from the gif king...just a thought.

9. prof-milton-fireballs

prof-milton-fireballs New Member

there are many other anti-virus programs out there if McAfee is going to get politically correct:
    CA
    Norton
    Grisoft
    Avira

10. buckhuntr

buckhuntr Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I dunno what's going on, but in the last two days, AVG has blocked several malware attacks on my pc. :eek:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  11. prof-milton-fireballs

it's either the government trying to emasculate the population or some ngo "activist" types trying to make sure we take our orders from lawyers and college professors, because they know better than we do.

12. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

I have McAfee. Send me something. I'll check it out. I don't recall getting any warnings.:confused:
    Oops! I have Norton.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  13. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

McAfee

Have used McAfee for several years.
    They have blocked quite a few things,
    but,
    never anything firearm related.

Yet.

14. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

I am sure that a simple email from the Forum to McAfee would clear this up 100%.

McAfee tests advertising links on the displayed webpage. If all of the links have not been verified, they will warn you about "possible" problems with the site. It is very possible that Firearmstalk.com which receives revenue from the links is unaware that a link is questionable, because it is part of a service that is normally not individually tested.

Firearmstalk, is the only firearms related forum that signals this warning. I doubt seriously that McAfee has any bias against firearms, judging by the lack of similar warnings from other firearms related sites.

C'mon admin, just contact them and clear it up... Not that it is keeping me away. I am still here.

15. v757b

v757b New Member

I'm getting the same thing as the OP. It's not keeping me away or anything. Just need to get that fixed, it'll turn some people away.

16. prof-milton-fireballs

another possibility is that some liberal or someone calling themselves a "progressive" is inserting some sort of flag somewhere that is triggering the McAfee response.

we know that the left wing does sometimes resort to violence as they did in the days of dave foreman ("earth first") and the weather underground

17. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

Are you using Internet Explorer as your browser? If so, go to settings>secrurity and add FTF as a trusted site.

If you are clicking hyperlinks in IE when the warning comes up does it give you instructions to add site to blah blah blah?

I would drop McA and go with AVG Internet Security by Grisoft but that's my experience with them. We use McA at work and it is by far the least user friendly.

18. prof-milton-fireballs

good tip thanks.

19. sailor353

sailor353 New Member

I Run McAfee with no problems

I have used McAfee for over 5 tears and I can't ever remember getting that nsg when gouin to a gun site. I belong to 4 different gun forums and the biggest parts of My Favorites list is gun related. I use IE and Chrome both and like I say never had any problem. You might check your AV and browser settings and if you still get the msg go to McAfee's online help.

20. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

If you do not have McAfee Site Advisor loaded, you will not get the message. Site Advisor is an excellent tool. They have a method of voting for sites. I placed a positive review in the tool. If a few more people would do the same, the warning would disappear.

Just a thought...